CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

155,000 mile service - multiple issues - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 08:45 PM
huesero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 155,000 mile service - multiple issues - Help?

I am the 2nd owner of a 1997 ES 300 that has been very dependable over the years, but now is in need of work. I have all records of regular routine maintenance & never wrecked. I live in El Cajon, CA. The local dealership wants to charge me more than the car is worth to address the major issues.

I need other options.....Any ideas for an independent mechanic in my area?

(1) I was told I needed a new A/C compressor (a/c button light blinks and air is hot - resets - starts over - going on for 4 years now), but Lexus doesnt make comps for this year anymore, so I would have to get a rebuilt one that they dont even guarantee. Parts + refrig recharge + labor = about $3,000.

(2) Check engine light and TRAC OFF light just came on, but car runs fine.
Separate Diagnostic fee + ?

(3) I cant recall replacing any major things like timing chains/belts, or pumps, etc. What else might I expect?

I saw an add on this website for Discount A/C Parts compressor replacement Kit for $300. Claims to be new comp + hoses, etc. Not OEM or reman?
Any experience with this company or others?

Is bringing in your own parts and paying the indep or dealer mechanic to install without warranty logical or appropriate?

If I were to sell this car in its current condition (the clear coat has acne. Paint job may be needed. Int. is fine), what I should ask?

If I did all of the above & then tried to sell, I think I would lose $.

Im thinking about donating it to charity, in which case I would ask for the $4,999 valuation, and uncle sam might actually allow me to deduct 30% = about $1,500.

What would you do?
Old 10-06-10, 09:35 PM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i have a 2nd car, then i would donate it for tax purpose
if it is the only car i have, then gotta fix it no choice
Old 10-07-10, 10:18 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your budget really. If you can afford another car, whether it be new, used, or even a beater, that would probably be my first coice. My second choice would be just to live without AC and drive very conservatively in hopes that when it breaks down, I won't be going 90 MPH. I probably would not pay to fix the car unless it had some sentimental value for me. My decision to not fix the car is not so much about the costs of repairs to be worth more than the car, but the realistic situation of an older car with a lot of miles and the the likelyhood of even more parts breaking.

You could donate the car for a small tax deduction, but I would consider first using it as a trade in. I knew a couple I met at a drag strip that traded in their problematic Mercedes C300 right before the warrenty ended, the Lexus dealership just did a visual on it, and gave them a damn good value on it. Obviously, this was a much newer car, but the point I am trying to make is 1) they sometimes don't look because they care more about you buying a car from them and 2) you can possibility get more than the 30%-35% tax deducation savings from a dealership.
Old 10-07-10, 10:59 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

You are better off finding an independent shop to do the work. I only know of one in OC. Maybe some SD guys can chime in here with recommendations. The Lexus dealer does not really want to work on older cars, so they quote high in hopes you'll go away. If you have them do the work anyway, they make decent money on the job. I would suggest getting estimates from independent shops and assessing those versus the value of the car.