CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Biotech Jobs in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 02:50 AM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Biotech Jobs in Socal?

Hello all,

I am looking to relocate down to socal (I currently reside in San Francisco) within the year and I was hoping a few of you guys would be able to help me out.

I currently still work full time at Genentech in South San Francisco (a reputable biotech company) and I have been there since 2006.

I was wondering if any of my fellow Lexus enthusiasts here have any hookups/referrals to any good biotech companies in socal? I have been looking for a few months at a few biotech companies down in socal, but so far, no cigar.

I'd prefer a more established biotech company, but at this point, I'm not super picky.

Anyone have any hookups to Amgen? Johnson & Johnson? Allergan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...if all goes well, dinner and a car wash on me =)

cheers
Old 01-12-11, 10:11 AM
kevetard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did a job shadow at genetech way back in the day 2002 or so..nice place...and I come from foster city where I could probably get you a hookup at gilead but oddly enough i ended up in socal doing finance...good luck on the job search..i hear amgen benefits are pretty awesome
Old 01-12-11, 12:36 PM
oysgs430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of socal you planning on moving to? I live here in San Diego and there is alot of biotech company in mira mesa and sorrento valley area and what type of position are you looking for. I work for EMD Chemicals go to there website and they will have job opening posted. hope this helps
Old 01-12-11, 01:44 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Times are tough right now. I just quit my job at Polypeptide Laboratory Inc in Torrance and I heard they're hiring. But I wouldn't recommend the job. It's boring, repetetive and it'll slowly make you go brain dead. San Diego has good number of biotech companies but you need to really stand out from crowd to get selected even for an interview. A good friend of mine works at Celgene in La Jolla and he likes the job. He's hitting around $75K/yr and we both graduated at UCSD in 2006 with BS in Biochemistry but I ended up with a crappy job, I don't mind now that I run my own business. Anyway he got selected out of 150 applicants and he is that good. If you want to make your next job a career, go to San Diego. Good luck!
Old 01-17-11, 04:42 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what your specialty is but I am in medical diagnostics for US Labs/Labcorp in Irvine. My old job at Quest Diagnostics they should be looking to re-hire for. Quest is super south Orange County but they should have a couple of positions available.

Big biotech around here is Allergan, Abbott, Beckman Coulter, Genzyme. It sounds like you're not super picky about where you live exactly so I would say San Diego isn't a bad idea. Pharmigen, Pfizer, bunch of pharma down there. I know Pfizer is always hiring.