CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Has anyone here been to San Diego's Copley Hall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 03:11 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Has anyone here been to San Diego's Copley Hall?

I plan on seeing a performance later on this month and I was wondering where the best place to sit would be? It'll be a vocal performance backed by an orchestra, if that matters.

Thanks in advance,

- Seize
Old 02-03-11, 05:42 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been to Copley symphony hall, but can't say where the best place to sit is... since I was on stage performing, was years ago haha. Nice venue and great place to perform.

But I would think best place to sit for acoustical purposes would be on the front center balcony giving you directly line of sight to all on stage meaning nothing to block or disrupt the sounds. But if on the main floor, then center, but about 3 or 4 rows in front of the balcony as the balcony would act as a reflective surface bouncing sounds back at you which would normally pass right over you. This is al from what I've hear and read. Depending on what you'd like to hear more (bass, high winds, mids, vocals etc..) would mean different sections I believe, such as wanting to hear more of the basses and cellos, you would end up sitting more towards the right of center.

Oh also sitting on the balcony vs the main floor would give you much crisper highs and less muffled. So I would think more vocals you should be more center oriented.

When's the performance?

Last edited by fliptrix; 02-03-11 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 05:56 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by fliptrix
I've been to Copley symphony hall, but can't say where the best place to sit is... since I was on stage performing, was years ago haha. Nice venue and great place to perform. When's the performance?
It's on the 18th of this month. Not sure if you've heard of her or not but I'll be going to see Jane Monheit perform. She's a contemporary jazz singer but she's going to be performing classic American songs like Somewhere Over The Rainbow and When I Wish Upon A Star. She's going to backed by an orchestra so I'm sure it's going to be a great show

Oh by the way, you said you performed there. What type of performance was it? I'm curious
Old 02-03-11, 06:24 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I edited in some thoughts on seating from what I've heard in my previous post.

Oh yeah I've heard a little bit of her, sounds like it'll be a great show. She's got a great voice. As for my performance, it wasn't really anything special... haha. Years back when I was in high school, I auditioned and made the SD County HS Honor Band and also was asked to play in the Honor Orchestra. So I was apart of that and did that each year in high school. So I've performed there 3 times haha, since one year I didn't audition.
Old 02-04-11, 12:48 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

But I would think best place to sit for acoustical purposes would be on the front center balcony giving you directly line of sight to all on stage meaning nothing to block or disrupt the sounds. But if on the main floor, then center, but about 3 or 4 rows in front of the balcony as the balcony would act as a reflective surface bouncing sounds back at you which would normally pass right over you. This is al from what I've hear and read. Depending on what you'd like to hear more (bass, high winds, mids, vocals etc..) would mean different sections I believe, such as wanting to hear more of the basses and cellos, you would end up sitting more towards the right of center.

Oh also sitting on the balcony vs the main floor would give you much crisper highs and less muffled. So I would think more vocals you should be more center oriented.
Looks like the balcony and the grand tier are all sold out. I'm probably going to end up in bewteen them (mezzanine area). There are still tickets for the central mezzanine area so it looks like that's where I'll end up. Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback. It's very much appreciated

Oh yeah I've heard a little bit of her, sounds like it'll be a great show. She's got a great voice. As for my performance, it wasn't really anything special... haha. Years back when I was in high school, I auditioned and made the SD County HS Honor Band and also was asked to play in the Honor Orchestra. So I was apart of that and did that each year in high school. So I've performed there 3 times haha, since one year I didn't audition.

That must have been an amazing experience, to perform in a venue like that. This will be my first time there so I'm hoping it'll be a great experience for myself as well