CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

SoCal Tints & Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 12:18 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SoCal Tints & Tickets

All good things come to an end.

I got limo tints on my car, even the front, in September '10, and today, on May 6th 2011, at 6:45pm as I was driving home from work, I got a ****in ticket.

I've driven next to cops, I've stopped at stop lights with a cop next to me, I've driven passed cops, and cops have driven passed me, and they never pulled me over.

Although, I have eventually been pulled over a few times, but just got a warning every time; probably cause I've mentioned that I don't speed, haven't gotten a ticket in years, and that I'm wanting to be a firefighter so I have to have a clean record.

Unfortunately, I didn't say any of that to this guy.

I pushed my luck for 8 months, and like I said, all good things come to an end.

:|

Btw, what are considered Legal tints here in California? Where can I remove my tints? Also, how much will my ticket be?

I've heard of this "Fix-it" Ticket, for me to remove the tint and just pay $25, and if I don't remove it, the fine is $200.

Finally, how dark are your tints, and have you ever gotten a ticket for it? If so, what did you do?
Old 05-07-11, 12:33 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pay the fine man! Keep it limo
Old 05-07-11, 12:35 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ApokC
Just pay the fine man! Keep it limo
You crazy balla!

Removing the fronts are easy, steam gun and peel slowly and goo gone the glue.
Retinting the fronts should be like $50 bucks.

I have been running 35% for about 4 years and i have been fine. Some times cops are just douche bags and have nothing else to do.
Old 05-07-11, 12:44 AM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

you can use a blow dryer to remove your tint.
Old 05-07-11, 01:18 AM
BLEX1UZFE
Driver

Originally Posted by Incredible
All good things come to an end.

I got limo tints on my car, even the front, in September '10, and today, on May 6th 2011, at 6:45pm as I was driving home from work, I got a ****in ticket.

I've driven next to cops, I've stopped at stop lights with a cop next to me, I've driven passed cops, and cops have driven passed me, and they never pulled me over.

Although, I have eventually been pulled over a few times, but just got a warning every time; probably cause I've mentioned that I don't speed, haven't gotten a ticket in years, and that I'm wanting to be a firefighter so I have to have a clean record.

Unfortunately, I didn't say any of that to this guy.

I pushed my luck for 8 months, and like I said, all good things come to an end.

:|

Btw, what are considered Legal tints here in California? Where can I remove my tints? Also, how much will my ticket be?

I've heard of this "Fix-it" Ticket, for me to remove the tint and just pay $25, and if I don't remove it, the fine is $200.

Finally, how dark are your tints, and have you ever gotten a ticket for it? If so, what did you do?
same happened to me with my accord and i only had medium tint and had it like that for 5years 1 night got pulled over the officer said he couldnt see in the front total cost for fix it ticket $10 tint removal = free i took it off myself all u need is a razor blade and something that removes glue/adhesive/sap/tape depending on how good u are at it, it should take about 1hr total i had 30days to get it fixed so on the 29th day i removed my tint lol now as far as legal goes ive been told that no tint is legal on the front windows ( cant be true ) why would the sell cars like that if that was the case the service should be illegal as well i did see a thread somewhere that had tints broken down in percentages

ps you will have to remove the door panel
Old 05-07-11, 02:44 AM
aEO 37
Pit Crew

It is illegal to have any tint on you front windows regardless of %.

Just because they sell car with tint does not mean its legal. For example, dealers sell car all the time without front license plate bracket, but you will still get a ticket for no front plate. It is up to you to put the plate on it.

Lastly, you do not have to remove the door panel to remove the tint. The tint usually just barely goes down past the seal where the door panel and window meet. I recommend just paying the shop to remove the tint. The level of difficulty to remove the film varies from the type, brand, and duration you had it on. It should be about $40 to remove it, save yourself the trouble
Old 05-07-11, 09:14 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Unfortunately, it is illegal to have any type of tint on the fronts regardless. Getting the tints removed shouldnt be costly at all cuz it only takes mins.
Old 05-07-11, 01:57 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is legal to have super clear films for the purposes of uv/ir rejection -- there's a clause in CVC about it. those films need to be rated at least 78% VLT though.

anyway, the tinter made you sign a document that says front tint is illegal and you accept all responsibility, right? you were clearly in violation of the law, the cop was just doing his job. what's there to ***** about?
Old 05-09-11, 10:24 AM
davidwhang
Driver

As far as I know, CA tint laws say no tint can cover more than the top portion of the windshield or any on the two front windows.

As far as the rear windows or back window, you can tint those to your heart's desire.

Fix-it tickets vary by city as some cities charge $10 and others charge $25 for correctable fines. You can actually fight these and usually win and end up not paying anything but usually that involves more trouble than the fix-it ticket price.
Old 05-09-11, 11:21 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

cali generates millions of dollars in revenue from damn tickets =\