CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Extended Warranty: Penske Platinum or Lexus Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 11:43 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty: Penske Platinum or Lexus Platinum?

I have 49k miles and the car was put in service in January of 08 so its time for an extended warranty! Does anybody know the difference between a Lexus Platinum vs. a Penske Platinum warranty? I've done my research and I cant find details of the Penske warranty on the web. The only thing I know is that there is a $50 deductible for Penske if I were to fix it elsewhere besides the dealership I bought my warranty from BUT I'm not planning to move in the next 5 years so all warranty work will be done at my usual dealership.

I just need to know which has better coverage?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-11, 12:37 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Midwest Toyota has been the dealer a good number of members here have gotten their warranties. Apparently its one of the cheapest places to buy the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty. I guess you just give them a call with your vehicle information and they will hook you up!

Here's a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nty-found.html
Old 09-28-11, 01:16 PM
koric
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Midwest Toyota has been the dealer a good number of members here have gotten their warranties. Apparently its one of the cheapest places to buy the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty. I guess you just give them a call with your vehicle information and they will hook you up!

Here's a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nty-found.html
Yeah, I spoke to Jerry from there about 6 months ago and he gave me a hell of a deal. BUT I also got a really a good price from Penske, too. So now I just have to decide which one has better coverage? Thats where I'm stuck.
Old 09-28-11, 01:26 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't mind me asking. How much is the price difference between the two? I'd go with the Lexus warranty as its straight from the manufacturer, no deductible to be paid, and covers most of the car. I'm not sure what the Penske warranty covers or doesn't cover though. Does it cover a loaner car too? I'm not able to find much on it either...
Old 09-28-11, 01:39 PM
koric
Driver

Lexus 8/100, $1960
Penske 8/100, $1880
Penske 8/125, $2090
Old 09-28-11, 01:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Couple things i would look at:

How many miles do you plan on having on the car by Janruary 2016. Will you even have the car then? If not, is either warranty transferrable. It will be a big bonus if you sell the car and can transfer a warranty.

Does the Penske warranty cover the Nav? I've seen a lot of warranties exclude the navigation. It's one of the more expensive repairs on a Lexus. I believe the Lexus Platinum does cover the navigation system (Someone correct me if im wrong)
Old 09-28-11, 02:01 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I would be very leary about buying a warranty without receiving a copy of what they are selling me so I could make a good decision. Otherwise, run away.

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-11, 02:15 PM
koric
Driver

Couple things i would look at:

How many miles do you plan on having on the car by Janruary 2016. Will you even have the car then? If not, is either warranty transferrable. It will be a big bonus if you sell the car and can transfer a warranty.

Does the Penske warranty cover the Nav? I've seen a lot of warranties exclude the navigation. It's one of the more expensive repairs on a Lexus. I believe the Lexus Platinum does cover the navigation system (Someone correct me if im wrong)
Its my wife's car. We'll probably still have it by then and she doesnt drive much. Both warranties are transferable. Both warranty covers the nav, too. I just want to know, which one is better? Which one do most people go with? Which is more reliable, etc?

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I would be very leary about buying a warranty without receiving a copy of what they are selling me so I could make a good decision. Otherwise, run away.
I've done my homework and am pretty exhausted. I have the literature for both Penske and Lexus. They all just become a blur and pretty much states the same thing. I want to know people's experiences and what they chose. I dont see a lot of feedback on the Penske warranty on the web. Its hard to find reviews or comments for it.
Old 09-28-11, 03:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'd go with the Lexus warranty. Straight from Toyota/Lexus, no deductible, and i've never had a bad experience with a factory warranty. Just go in, drop off the car, issue is fixed. Enjoy a loaner car in the mean time and be happy you didn't have to pay what the bill would have been! lol.

I find the biggest issue with 3rd party warranties is that they try and get out of certain big-expense situations. I've heard of a good deal of horror stories, mainly when something big goes out (transmission, engine failure, A/C system, etc) and then the car ends up sitting at the mechanic/dealer for 2 weeks, unrepaired, while the warranty company tries to find someway of getting out without footing the whole bill. Or, like what happened to my sister, your car gets fixed, the dealer sends the bill to the warranty company for authorization/payment and they take a week to "process paper work". The whole time your car is done, but you just can't take it home till they agree to pay the bill. -_- Not saying Penske would do that to you, but just a warning.
Old 09-28-11, 06:37 PM
koric
Driver

I'd go with the Lexus warranty. Straight from Toyota/Lexus, no deductible, and i've never had a bad experience with a factory warranty. Just go in, drop off the car, issue is fixed. Enjoy a loaner car in the mean time and be happy you didn't have to pay what the bill would have been! lol.

I find the biggest issue with 3rd party warranties is that they try and get out of certain big-expense situations. I've heard of a good deal of horror stories, mainly when something big goes out (transmission, engine failure, A/C system, etc) and then the car ends up sitting at the mechanic/dealer for 2 weeks, unrepaired, while the warranty company tries to find someway of getting out without footing the whole bill. Or, like what happened to my sister, your car gets fixed, the dealer sends the bill to the warranty company for authorization/payment and they take a week to "process paper work". The whole time your car is done, but you just can't take it home till they agree to pay the bill. -_- Not saying Penske would do that to you, but just a warning.
Thanks for the feedback. I hear you that those 3rd party warranties can be shady. I've read f'd up stories on how they deny your claim, etc and go bankrupt. IMO, Penske is different. They are the more reputable 3rd party warranty because they own so many dealerships. I dont think I would have a problem submitting a claim and getting it covered. Afterall, I'm only going to my usual dealership for any warranty work and its the one I'm buying the warranty from. One thing that appalled me was when I went to my dealership and asked about the Lexus Platinum warranty and they came back with a quote and ALMOST not tell me it was a Penske. I called that guy out on it and he said it was the same. BS! I've heard stories of this when people are buying a brand new car. That is pretty shady. Anyhow, I am more leaning towards the Lexus warranty as there are more perks with towing, trip protection, etc. I dont know tho. I'm still waiting for more feedback.
Old 09-28-11, 06:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

I've purchased extended warranties on my RXs and the dealership is owned by Penske. They never tried to sell me their own. I never knew they offered it.
Old 09-28-11, 09:08 PM
koric
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I've purchased extended warranties on my RXs and the dealership is owned by Penske. They never tried to sell me their own. I never knew they offered it.
Yup, they do. I'm looking at the brochure right now and it doesnt say Penske anywhere on it except on the very last page at the very bottom. It is made to look like the dealership's own Platinum extended warranty. It also states resource automotive.
Old 10-05-11, 10:49 AM
andygsjca
Driver School Candidate

Smile Where to get the price quote you've listed?

Originally Posted by koric
Lexus 8/100, $1960
Penske 8/100, $1880
Penske 8/125, $2090
Hi Koric,

Just got my es350/2011.

Your listed price is better than my dealer's. Could you provide the dealership that offer these price?

Cheers,