CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

key cutting in socal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 07:04 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default key cutting in socal?

I'm looking to get 2 to 3 spare keys cut. Anyone can recommend a place near covina / west covina with a decent price? Went to a local place today and they couldn't get it to work. Then tried the san gabriel superstore and was overwhelmed because I'm not Asian (couldn't read anything).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-12, 07:50 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL not asian. what kind of car?
Old 05-19-12, 08:12 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by k7q
LOL not asian. what kind of car?
I have a 99 gs 300. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but someone on here claimed their was a small shop their that could cut them. It's an Asian market I guess. I'm black, so I just felt a little out of place because I really couldn't read or understand what any of the shops where for. It was really crowded so I just rolled out.
Old 05-19-12, 08:15 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Google search wasn't helping. Most places I called didn't answer, or said they would get back with me, or were expensive mobile operations. I know someone knows a place that can do this. It isn't rocket science.
Old 05-19-12, 11:13 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do search here, have been discussed several times. id suggest get it from ebay, much cheaper, local would be in westminster / garden grove area

lexus key cutting is rocket science my friend, not many place can do it actually.

here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ing-in-la.html

Last edited by masboy; 05-19-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: copy n paste
Old 05-20-12, 12:54 AM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by tiger4life
I have a 99 gs 300. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but someone on here claimed their was a small shop their that could cut them. It's an Asian market I guess. I'm black, so I just felt a little out of place because I really couldn't read or understand what any of the shops where for. It was really crowded so I just rolled out.
dont think there was anything offensive. just foudn it funny. i live kind of close to the area and can try to help. i am also asian so maybe it would be better? lol but if you went in the main entrance just go left and its a small shop. PM me if you want me to go with you.

does 99 gs300 have an immobilzer? i dont think they can do it if it does.
Old 05-20-12, 02:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

ive had Chino lock and security cut keys for me for super cheap when i brought them the blanks, though you gotta get one of the owners to do it iirc. No idea about programming though, i did that myself.
Old 05-20-12, 07:39 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by masboy
do search here, have been discussed several times. id suggest get it from ebay, much cheaper, local would be in westminster / garden grove area

lexus key cutting is rocket science my friend, not many place can do it actually.

here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ing-in-la.html
I have 3 blanks already, so that's why I was trying to get it done local. I'm moving soon, so I didn't want to wait on ebay.

About the rocket science thing. I don't think so.

1. The machine cost a lot up front, that's the problem. It only takes them 5 minutes to do it if you have the lock code. Also doesn't help that lexus and others had normal keys forever, used our type of key for about 10 years, and now have moved on to fobs. Most locksmiths aren't going to buy the machine if they don't have it already.

2. We owners typically lose the lock code. I didn't know what it was and threw it away. The previous owner had it on the valet key.

3. Lack of locksmiths, effectively advertising their networks. Most locksmiths are independent, so there is no central place to look up these guys and see the different groups (home, automotive, etc....) So, you have to go into the yellow pages and it become time consuming.

Originally Posted by k7q
dont think there was anything offensive. just foudn it funny. i live kind of close to the area and can try to help. i am also asian so maybe it would be better? lol but if you went in the main entrance just go left and its a small shop. PM me if you want me to go with you.

does 99 gs300 have an immobilzer? i dont think they can do it if it does.
It has an immobilizer, thanks for the offer though.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ive had Chino lock and security cut keys for me for super cheap when i brought them the blanks, though you gotta get one of the owners to do it iirc. No idea about programming though, i did that myself.
Called a couple places in Chino, including those guys, maybe I'll try again. I think they told me they would get back with me Monday on whether they could do it or not.

Monday, I'll call Longo or Glendale Lexus and see if they give me my lock code. That will make this easier.
Old 05-21-12, 12:20 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

So, of course Glendale Lexus decided to be a douche about the situation. Called them this morning, and they say yeah fine, come down and we'll give you the code. Take my lunch break to get down there and all of a sudden one of the service managers is talking about they don't give out that info. I was so pissed.

I asked, what if I lose my key in the middle of the night and you aren't open? His response was basically, well you're sol.
Old 05-21-12, 07:09 PM
k7q
Instructor

the guy at san gabriel super store can cut it. BUT if you bring them your own blank key they dont guarantee. i brought my own blank key for my bike there. i also had a spare made for my 92 SC4 there
Old 05-21-12, 07:53 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

[QUOTE=k7q;7247765]the guy at san gabriel super store can cut it. BUT if you bring them your own blank key they dont guarantee. i brought my own blank key for my bike there. i also had a spare made for my 92 SC4 there[/QUOTE

Thanks for the offer, but someone on ebay in san francisco has my money now. I bought a set off of ebay where they claim they can cut it from a picture. Thanks for the link Masboy. Hopefully it works, they even send the key code with your keys.

If it works, I'm buying two more and I'll have 5 keys total. Should last me a lifetime.

Tried to give local people my money, but $150 a key or whatever Glendale would have wanted is absurd. I understand they need to eat, but not giving the info was a d**k move because they obviously make this info available to who they want. I mean come on, I could see if I lost some keys or something. I'm just replacing them because the designed a crappy key that fails all the time. Not spending $450 to mitigate their crappy design. And I'm not driving 1 hour to New Orleans for keys when I get back to Louisiana.

Local dealers seem to not care unless you're searching on the lot for something or like getting $100 oil changes. That's why I give my business to Carson Toyota and Sewell. They treat you like a person even if you're trying to save money.

Last edited by tiger4life; 05-21-12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 08:02 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

FYI

Sanders towing in San Dimas, CA was the place that was going to cut them for me for $35 if I would have gotten the code.

344 W. Arrow Hwy - San Dimas, CA 91773
(909) 599-3178
Old 05-24-12, 06:45 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Got my keys today and both work perfect. $45 dollars for 2, with a key chain pendant, and a spare battery. Only took 3 days. Much better the some dealers trying to tell, no your only option is to buy 2 keys for $250 or whatever from us because we're the only ones who can do it.