CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Be aware used phone seller, imei blocked

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 11:00 AM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be aware used phone seller, imei blocked

I bought a used Samsung note 2 last week from some guy on craigslist, and yesterday it stopped working. So I called in tmobile and was told that he called to report lost or stolen and tmobile blocked the IMEI number thus my phone not working anymore. Cant' believe there are such scumbags like these out there doing this kinda stuffs. Now I am out of 400 bucks without a phone to use, damn it.
Old 10-15-13, 10:36 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have took a picture of his car/plates.
Old 10-15-13, 12:10 PM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

^^^ yes I did and I called the police but they couldn't help
Old 10-15-13, 09:21 PM
1stGenIS
Driver School Candidate

I manage a corporate cell phone store, not t mobile. Next time make sure you call in and put the esn or imei on your account so the previous owner cannot report it. I always call while the other person is there. The best thing to do and what I always tell my customers to do is to meet the person AT the cell phone store and have it out on your account before they actually pay for the phone.

Most people with t mobile and AT&T just install their sim and use it. It takes a while for the company to recognize that there is a different phone attached to the number if you don't call it in or do a swap online.
Old 10-16-13, 01:15 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGenIS
I manage a corporate cell phone store, not t mobile. Next time make sure you call in and put the esn or imei on your account so the previous owner cannot report it. I always call while the other person is there. The best thing to do and what I always tell my customers to do is to meet the person AT the cell phone store and have it out on your account before they actually pay for the phone.

Most people with t mobile and AT&T just install their sim and use it. It takes a while for the company to recognize that there is a different phone attached to the number if you don't call it in or do a swap online.
Can you further clarify? What do you switch? I'm on T-Mobile, and especially since back then T-Mobile didn't have iPhones, I've bought used phones in the past (iPhones, Galaxy's) and just pop in the SIM and use it.
Old 10-16-13, 01:28 AM
RiffRaff35
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ISvtec did ya try and contact the seller and talk to him? no way to contact him or is he just dodging you?
Old 10-16-13, 08:56 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I can believe there are such scumbags in society. I have almost been a victim of a few scams buying used stuff, but I got cold feet due to instincts kicking in and didn't go through with the deals.
Old 10-16-13, 10:08 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

take him to court lol. i'm sure you have his number. do a reverse lookup and find out where he lives and gather all the information you can and go from there. he basically got $400 off of you and now he's in for a new phone since he reported it stolen.
Old 10-16-13, 11:39 AM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1stGenIS

thanks for useful infor, will do so next time

Originally Posted by RiffRaff35
ISvtec did ya try and contact the seller and talk to him? no way to contact him or is he just dodging you?
I did called him about 50 times but no answer.

Originally Posted by xtremex626
take him to court lol. i'm sure you have his number. do a reverse lookup and find out where he lives and gather all the information you can and go from there. he basically got $400 off of you and now he's in for a new phone since he reported it stolen.
I have all evidents, phone#, all texts exchange, pix of him and his car and all. I would win for sure but he knows where I live so that's not a good idea to take him to the court.
Old 10-17-13, 12:51 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsvtec
thanks for useful infor, will do so next time

I did called him about 50 times but no answer.

I have all evidents, phone#, all texts exchange, pix of him and his car and all. I would win for sure but he knows where I live so that's not a good idea to take him to the court.
Call him back and tell him the phone stopped working because he made a claim with T-mobile. Tell the police that he sold you a "stolen phone".
Old 10-17-13, 12:57 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

To be honest, he knows he made a claim with T-Mobile.

You got scammed and he makes a living off selling stolen phones, report it missing and pocket the difference.

This is a pretty big thing with galaxys, people buy new galaxies with insurance plans, sell it, report it missing, then get another one for 150 and resell it to another buyer.

Im not sure what 1stgenIS said is correct, because there really is no way to change the IMEI number to your account. Either that or T-Mobile isnt willing to do it in order for you to buy new phones and not old phones from people off Craigslist.

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 10-17-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 09:49 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ouch. I would suggest taking it to some Chinese place and see if there's anything they can do to help for a nominal fee.
Old 10-24-13, 12:35 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

You can still sell the phone, but you'll have to take a lost. Post on CL and mention in the ad that the phone is Blocked under T-Mobile. List it at a discount and you'll recoup some of your money.

Last edited by Rich27; 10-24-13 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 12:54 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Having the imei registered to your number, the previous owner can still make an insurance claim and the imei still be blocked. Op best bet is sell it again, eBay, craigslist etc, mention the block info. Some people don't mind it because if they unlock it they can use it overseas or any gsm carrier, except for tmobile. Other cell phone service does the same thing when you have insurance.