CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Need Help!! anyone in downtown LA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 05:38 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Help!! anyone in downtown LA?

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is crazy request of not but I desperately need someone to check out a watch which is located in downtown LA area. I am looking to purchase a Cartier watch for my father this Christmas and need to make sure since it is pretty damn expensive watch. Just need to know if watch is in decent condition and people who is selling it is real as well..

ben dannie (name of jewelry store)
610 Broadway #1105, Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 629-3661

Here is the ebay listing..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cartier-Mens...-/110948396128

Please let me know guys. Would love to buy this for my father for this Christmas..
Old 12-06-13, 10:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I would call and inquire about their return policy. Their Yelp ratings look good but with this level of purchase it is a significant expense. Other than a visual examination, it would be difficult to determine if the movement is in good order and the prior owner or the shop has serviced it properly. One of those gambles in buying a watch across the country and from a shop in the jewelry district in LA.

Looks like it has been up for sale since Sept 2012 and there are plenty of offers on it.

They have a YT video:

My suggestion would be to ask them to wind it up and shoot a video so that you can see if it sweeps relatively smooth per second and or a video of them checking the rate results.
Old 12-07-13, 05:23 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your response RA40.
Why is it a gamble buying from jewelry district? Are they known for selling fakes??
I know this is a big gamble since watch does not have the paper or box.
Old 12-07-13, 12:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

That district has many sellers and most are good businesses. Some have full on store fronts and others are cubicle sized. Hard to say about this place and if they are not an authorized Cartier dealer, the possibilities are open regarding a watch at that level. I'm skeptical because a mint watch like this should not have that much problem finding an affluent owner. The lack of box and papers is a downer for sure.

Can you source the same watch locally? If the seller will relay the serial number a call to Cartier can verify the history on the watch and or police to check if it is reported stolen. Personally getting the complete package with good warranty brings peace of mind. $6-$8K is some $$ yet as a gift to your father he'll cherish the watch and in that regard the value is worth it.

In one of those scenarios you bring the watch in to a Cartier service center and hear them say the watch is a replica.

That is a pretty watch and much props for thinking of your father.
Old 12-12-13, 05:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow u weren't kidding when u said it was expensive.