CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Dealer forged my signature and created different contract

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 09:28 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer forged my signature and created different contract

Dear all.

I recently purchased a Lexus from local Lexus dealer.
The car was advertised as used, but the condition of the car was just new.
(older year, 2017)
I signed the contract and drove out with the vehicle.
About 3 weeks later I received the statement from bank for payment.
The loan amount on the statement was different than what my signed contract stated, so I contacted the bank and obtained the copy of contract which bank received from the dealer.
The contract was not what I signed, and had forged signatures. Also, it states the vehicle is NEW. My copy of signed contract states the vehicle as USED.
What should I do in this situation? Clearly dealer committed a crime of forgery.
I contacted the GM of sales, and he told me he didnt know about it and he can cancel all the paper work, including my trade-in vehicle.
I am very upset with the fact that a authorized dealer will forge the signature, and looking to work with lawyer.
Anyone with similar case or suggestions please?
Thank you.
Old 09-07-18, 09:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I would start by contacting the local PD, and file a report/criminal charges.

after that I would take the dealer to task on what they are going to do for you, aside from "cancelling the deal", is your trade in vehicle still available, or was it sent to auction? how big of a discount, or what kind of warranties are they going to throw in for free..

How are they going to compensate you for this?

and if they don't take it to the local news consumer advocate and make it public, with all the proof you have.
The following users liked this post:
hyunwoo198 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 09:43 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with mjeds, hold their feet to the fire. Their a some slimy dealers lurking around. Keep us posted on how this goes, I would definitely get a attorney though.
hyunwoo198 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 10:13 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Thank you guys for the reply.

My trade-in car had loan outstanding when I traded in.
Dealer paid the loan off recently. And its still in the lot.
What GM was proposing me was he will cancel the contract, refund me the downpayment, and give back the traded in vehicle, after cancelling their payoff payment.
So GM had no intention of giving me any compensation since the difference of forged contract is not much.
(the total amount finance was about $260 different. But I am mad at the act of forgery committed by the dealer)
And GM was keep telling me that it is done by employee and he has nothing to do with.
Would local news be interested in this issue?
Old 09-07-18, 10:44 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
Thank you guys for the reply.

My trade-in car had loan outstanding when I traded in.
Dealer paid the loan off recently. And its still in the lot.
What GM was proposing me was he will cancel the contract, refund me the downpayment, and give back the traded in vehicle, after cancelling their payoff payment.
So GM had no intention of giving me any compensation since the difference of forged contract is not much.
(the total amount finance was about $260 different. But I am mad at the act of forgery committed by the dealer)
And GM was keep telling me that it is done by employee and he has nothing to do with.
Would local news be interested in this issue?

doesn't matter how much the difference is.
as for as not having to do with the GM, he is the Manager, the actions of his employees are his responsibility.

every major news network has a local consumer advocate that will make public things like this, always worth a shot.

Also contact the DMV and file a complaint, the DMV is the regulatory body over car dealerships.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1.../invest/inv172
hyunwoo198 (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 12:20 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

thanks mjeds.

I just went to the police department where the dealer is located, and first question they asked me was did you loose anything.
Second thing they told me was "do you know if they had criminal intent."
Well... obviously they forged the contract for their benefit...
Old 09-07-18, 12:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Which dealer?
Old 09-07-18, 04:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Bring this up with corporate too.
Old 09-07-18, 04:41 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

yep which dealership so i can avoid. sue them to get free LC and LS. If you let this go it could be happen to the people doesnt know much about thing like this.
Old 09-07-18, 05:57 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

It was the dealer in Beverly Hills.
Some lawyers are skeptical since damage is minimal, and cost of lawsuit could be high, but the return is not guaranteed.
I believe dealer forged the contract so that they can get the $1,500 new car incentive.
Should I call the dealer and tell them to re-do the contract with $1,500 extra discount?
Old 09-07-18, 06:38 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I LOL'd at some of the things being said in here. So much for reason and rationality. /OT

To the OP, you have every right to be upset. However, by hitting the rewind button on this deal (taking back a car that you used for three weeks, return your trade-in and cancel the payoff, and return your security deposit), they've actually made you whole. Now, unless you can claim and prove that their forgery caused significant, calculable financial damage to you, they most likely won't go farther than what they've already done.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect more, nor will their fleet of lawyers allow you expect more, but you are welcomed to use your experience as negotiating leverage for your next vehicle should you decide to take your business back there. Personally, I've dealt with Jim Falk/Lexus of Beverly Hills on a periphery level, and I haven't come away with a reasonably satisfactory experience to date.

Also, if you really think about it, they've already burned you once on a purchase. You know that old saying "fool me once..."
Old 09-07-18, 08:25 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Originally Posted by projectdna
I LOL'd at some of the things being said in here. So much for reason and rationality. /OT

To the OP, you have every right to be upset. However, by hitting the rewind button on this deal (taking back a car that you used for three weeks, return your trade-in and cancel the payoff, and return your security deposit), they've actually made you whole. Now, unless you can claim and prove that their forgery caused significant, calculable financial damage to you, they most likely won't go farther than what they've already done.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect more, nor will their fleet of lawyers allow you expect more, but you are welcomed to use your experience as negotiating leverage for your next vehicle should you decide to take your business back there. Personally, I've dealt with Jim Falk/Lexus of Beverly Hills on a periphery level, and I haven't come away with a reasonably satisfactory experience to date.

Also, if you really think about it, they've already burned you once on a purchase. You know that old saying "fool me once..."
Thanks for your reply.
So you think it is best of my interest to push that rewind button and walk away from the dealer?
I never had this kind of experience, so I am very confused on what I should do and what I can do...
I don't think I will ever go back to the same dealer.

Last edited by hyunwoo198; 09-08-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 10:24 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198
Thanks for your reply.
So you think it is best of my interest to push that rewind button and walk away from the dealer?
I never had this kind of experience, so I am very confused on what I should do and what I can do...
I don't think I will ever go back to the same dealer.
I think it is in your best interest to hit the rewind button (agree to the GM's offer: return your purchase, have them cancel the pay-off on your trade-in, and take your car back with the existing loan on it). The GM is doing the right thing by undoing your purchase and restoring you to your pre-purchase condition. I think it's also fair to ask them to compensate you for your inconvenience in dealing with this, but your request should be within reason.

If you feel like the dealership has "made you whole", and you have not suffered any financial loss (not to be confused with inconvenience) due to the dealership's actions, then it's up to you to decide whether you want to go back to the dealership and work with them again. Not the end of the world if you don't go back.

For future reference, always read and re-read what you're signing BEFORE you sign it. If you're confused or simply don't understand the paperwork, ask them for some time so you can read and understand what you're signing.

Hope your situation gets resolved. Keep us updated.
Old 09-08-18, 10:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna

For future reference, always read and re-read what you're signing BEFORE you sign it. If you're confused or simply don't understand the paperwork, ask them for some time so you can read and understand what you're signing.
Just curious, how would that have helped him in this situation? He knew what he signed and knew enough to challenge it once received after it was switched with falsified paperwork. I'd say he pretty much already meets this criteria. Super shady.

OP I agree with getting made whole with reasonable accommodation for the inconvenience. However, I'd still report to Lexus Corp and the BBB - this is unacceptable business behavior.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-08-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 11:35 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just curious, how would that have helped him in this situation? He knew what he signed and knew enough to challenge it once received after it was switched with falsified paperwork. I'd say he pretty much already meets this criteria. Super shady.

OP I agree with getting made whole with reasonable accommodation for the inconvenience. However, I'd still report to Lexus Corp and the BBB - this is unacceptable business behavior.

So I talked to GM, and decided to return the car.
I just did not want to waste more time with them.
I will report this issue to all possible agencies. DMV, lexus corp, BBB, consumer affair, and tell me more.
I just never thought that this could happen in authorized dealer.
ba2sy (09-12-18)

Quick Reply: Dealer forged my signature and created different contract