CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Bought SC300 manual swap - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 01:37 AM
NeoSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought SC300 manual swap - what to do?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 93 sc300 with manual swap 2JZ-GE with A/T ecu. There was a massive oil leak from the valve covers and I replaced the gasket. Engine is not accelerating the way it should be as I dont feel any power on 3rd + gears. As I am still new and learning this car, I was wondering if you guys have any recommendation for mechanic or shop who could help me diagnose this car in Orange County CA. I have been searching around shops or mobile mechanic but if you know any trusted mechanic. Please let me know
Old 01-14-20, 12:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,242 Likes on 866 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

A couple of things you should begin doing is diagnosing the ignition system: spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil (rarely ever an issue), ECU capacitor health. Also check the health of your O2 sensors.

Also, since you have an A/T chassis swapped to manual the most ideal thing you can do (especially being in CA) is to locate the correct SC300 M/T ECU for both your model year and chassis emission type. For 1992-1994 SC300's these ECUs are somewhat easier to find on ebay occasionally. With no evidence of an ebay ECU ever having been capacitor serviced I'd recommend getting it worked on by the folks at Tanin Auto Electronix (you'd mail the ECU to their shop in Wisconsin and they send it back).

The the M/T ECU not only would help with passing emissions tests but it should also smooth out power delivery between shifts since it will not be expecting an automatic transmission to be hooked up.

The main thing however is to begin investigating if anything in your SC's ignition system has become worn out.

As for shops, I don't know any in Orange County. I did have good experience with Kerchuk Auto Service in Alhambra several years back and in more recent years I used Tyerman's Automotive & Suspension in Burbank/L.A. Briefly a while back I used Carson Toyota for all my major services (timing belt, etc.) but they may have since changed their policy and decided not to work on Lexus vehicles any longer regardless of any driveline similarities to a specific Toyota model. All of those shops are probably much too far out of your way though being in Orange County.
Old 01-15-20, 12:29 AM
NeoSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi KahnBB6,

Thanks so much for the message. I have replaced spark plugs. I will buy a M/T ECU and see how the car runs. Thanks again for many shop recommendations. I think I cannot drive my SC to get there yet but hopefully I will visit those cool shops one day and add Turbo to my motor

Thanks again for your response.