CL Vendor Products for 2IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 2IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 09:52 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
JoeZ intake with an F-Sport style intake box and an F-Sport exhaust.

I also consider my Enkei PF01s to be a performance mod as it reduces unsprung weight to improve acceleration.
Cool you have the same mods as me then, except for f sport exhaust since I have a different brand. Looking forward to your results. Also do wheels really help improve acceleration or is that just all in the head because the car is technically lighter?
Old 02-26-16, 07:26 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Also do wheels really help improve acceleration or is that just all in the head because the car is technically lighter?
Take it for what it's worth but Grassroots Motorsports did a comparison test a while back using a Miata with lightweight wheels vs heavier wheels (while using the same tires) and the 0-60 runs were consistently around 0.2-0.3 seconds slower with the heavier set wheels.

Lap times around the road course (using a professional driver) were also consistently faster with the lightweight wheels.

On a side note, my ECU should be arriving at RR Racing sometime today.
Old 02-26-16, 07:30 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Take it for what it's worth but Grassroots Motorsports did a comparison test a while back using a Miata with lightweight wheels vs heavier wheels (while using the same tires) and the 0-60 runs were consistently around 0.2-0.3 seconds slower with the heavier set wheels.

Lap times around the road course (using a professional driver) were also consistently faster with the lightweight wheels.

On a side note, my ECU should be arriving at RR Racing sometime today.
Interesting... This may sway me to go with a different brand of wheel now lol.
Old 02-26-16, 07:39 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did my tune today with rr racing. First off Rafi is a cool dude he knows his stuff. No more check engine and i have gutted cats. You can feel the difference the car responds way smoother and hits the redline of 7200 like nothing. When you shift at 7200 the car just keeps putting you feel how it pulls! The throttle response is way better. I def recommend this. I will see if i can post some vids tomorrow.
Old 02-26-16, 07:43 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolando
I just did my tune today with rr racing. First off Rafi is a cool dude he knows his stuff. No more check engine and i have gutted cats. You can feel the difference the car responds way smoother and hits the redline of 7200 like nothing. When you shift at 7200 the car just keeps putting you feel how it pulls! The throttle response is way better. I def recommend this. I will see if i can post some vids tomorrow.
Nice! Waiting on your video, I'm pretty sure a lot of other people are too.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-26-16, 07:48 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Nice! Waiting on your video, I'm pretty sure a lot of other people are too.

-Josh
The car pulls good consistent power and i have about 300 pounds in custom music with 4 batteries in the back.
Old 02-26-16, 07:56 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

The car pulls good consistent power and i have about 300 pounds in custom music with 4 batteries in the back.
That's great to hear! Please post an acceleration video as soon as you can
Old 02-26-16, 07:59 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

That's great to hear! Please post an acceleration video as soon as you can
I will but how i said i have about 300 pounds or more of custom music in my trunk so i have alot of extra weight you guys do not have.
Attached Thumbnails RR Racing ECU Tune-image.jpeg  
Old 02-26-16, 08:00 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I will but how i said i have about 300 pounds or more of custom music in my trunk so i have alot of extra weight you guys do not have.
Wow that does look heavy lol. I'm still interested in the video though.. Also a video on your aftermarket subwoofer set up
Old 02-27-16, 07:27 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Hey RR racing,

If we request a higher redline than 7200rpm, will you guys do it? Just curious..
Old 02-27-16, 03:30 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

Hey RR racing,

If we request a higher redline than 7200rpm, will you guys do it? Just curious..
Yes we can do custom rev limits. But I really think that for stock camshafts, 7200 works really well.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-02-16, 10:38 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

I picked up my ECU from FedEx earlier today and after spending a few minutes re-installing the ECU, I was briefly able to do a few test runs in second gear to see what differences I would notice.

Right off the bat, I could tell that the IS350 pulled a bit harder from mid-range all the way up to redline. The difference isn’t as dramatic as having a supercharger installed but there were noticeable power gains and slightly more g-force felt according to my butt dyno.

I tested the programming of the redline on ECT PWR in Auto Mode, ECT PWR in Sport (Manual) Mode with 6th gear selected, and ECT PWR in Sport Mode with 2nd gear selected. On both ECT PWR in Auto Mode and ECT PWR in Sport (Manual) Mode with 6th gear selected, the redline remains stock at 6700RPM. It’s only when you are in the selected gear that you’ll be able to reach the higher rev limit (in my case it is 7200RPM). I noticed that in 2nd gear, the gear topped out at around 67 miles which is about a 5-7 mile increase from what is obtainable with the stock rev limit (60-62 miles in 2nd gear).

The powerband remains strong at the higher rev limit and it feels natural, very much like an OEM+ tune if Lexus were to allow for the 7200RPM redline. I noticed no abnormalities with the engine or transmission when I upshifted around the 7k-7.2k which definitely alleviated a lot of my concerns with the 2GR-FSE and 6-speed transmission handling the 500 RPM increase. When driving at low speeds, there was no noticeable change with the throttle response or power gains so it felt very much like it did prior to the tune.

With this current version of the tune, there were no changes in transmission shift speeds or having the ability to select your own gear, AFAIK. As I’m used to how the transmission behaves from owning my IS350 for nearly 10 years, I can work around this limitation on the track so I’m okay with the current configuration. If a revised tune will provide for quicker shifts and/or the selection of your own gears, I may update my ECU for that specific tune but in the meantime, I’m very happy with what RR Racing has provided for the Lexus IS-F and IS350 community. For the price that the tune is currently selling for, it’s a bargain for the performance gains received, especially when we are used to bolt-on upgrades providing fairly limited gains.

I’ll be taking the IS350 back out this Friday for some high speed pulls since the ECU is still in learning/calibration mode so I’ll provide an update and maybe some video footage later this week.
Old 03-02-16, 10:46 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

I picked up my ECU from FedEx earlier today and after spending a few minutes re-installing the ECU, I was briefly able to do a few test runs in second gear to see what differences I would notice.

Right off the bat, I could tell that the IS350 pulled a bit harder from mid-range all the way up to redline. The difference isn’t as dramatic as having a supercharger installed but there were noticeable power gains and slightly more g-force felt according to my butt dyno.

I tested the programming of the redline on ECT PWR in Auto Mode, ECT PWR in Sport (Manual) Mode with 6th gear selected, and ECT PWR in Sport Mode with 2nd gear selected. On both ECT PWR in Auto Mode and ECT PWR in Sport (Manual) Mode with 6th gear selected, the redline remains stock at 6700RPM. It’s only when you are in the selected gear that you’ll be able to reach the higher rev limit (in my case it is 7200RPM). I noticed that in 2nd gear, the gear topped out at around 67 miles which is about a 5-7 mile increase from what is obtainable with the stock rev limit (60-62 miles in 2nd gear).

The powerband remains strong at the higher rev limit and it feels natural, very much like an OEM+ tune if Lexus were to allow for the 7200RPM redline. I noticed no abnormalities with the engine or transmission when I upshifted around the 7k-7.2k which definitely alleviated a lot of my concerns with the 2GR-FSE and 6-speed transmission handling the 500 RPM increase. When driving at low speeds, there was no noticeable change with the throttle response or power gains so it felt very much like it did prior to the tune.

With this current version of the tune, there were no changes in transmission shift speeds or having the ability to select your own gear, AFAIK. As I’m used to how the transmission behaves from owning my IS350 for nearly 10 years, I can work around this limitation on the track so I’m okay with the current configuration. If a revised tune will provide for quicker shifts and/or the selection of your own gears, I may update my ECU for that specific tune but in the meantime, I’m very happy with what RR Racing has provided for the Lexus IS-F and IS350 community. For the price that the tune is currently selling for, it’s a bargain for the performance gains received, especially when we are used to bolt-on upgrades providing fairly limited gains.

I’ll be taking the IS350 back out this Friday for some high speed pulls since the ECU is still in learning/calibration mode so I’ll provide an update and maybe some video footage later this week.
Nice!! Glad to hear everything went well.. Who else is going to join redspencer on a tuned is350?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-02-16, 10:55 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Nice!! Glad to hear everything went well.. Who else is going to join redspencer on a tuned is350?

-Josh
(Raises hand) I am!!

Can't wait to get this done to my car
Old 03-02-16, 10:59 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Thank you for making a review right away Redspencer, really helpful. I am now more interested in this tune before, my only gripe is that the 7200rpm redline only happens with the gear selected which is kind of a bummer. But at least it works as it's supposed to. You should try and run a 1/4 mile pass with your car next. You know for science and what not

Would you think that the car could possibly trap higher now at a drag strip with the raised limit?

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tune