CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 05:05 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The intercooler air/air ?
Old 10-19-17, 07:02 AM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So the kit is limited to a 6k rpm rev limit at this point? That's terrible! The only reason I can see that happening is the car runs out of fuel or knock becomes erratic?

The other problem is that the dyno curve is going to shift right 1000 rpms if peak boost is currently being made at 6000rpm and when this issue is figured out, will be then made at ~7000rpm. I'm excited for this product, but it already isn't making 300wtq until 4200rpm and I was expecting to see over 300wtq before 3000rpm to be honest? A stage 1 stock motor IS300 (2jzge) with a small turbo would make 300wtq right before 3000rpm. I understand the rod ratio's and stroke are different between the engines, but everything should be superior with this 3.5L motor?

Please confirm if I understand the rev limit correctly, if so I'll hold off until that's fixed.

Originally Posted by RRRacing
There are some tuning issues that limit us to 6000rpm. We are testing further staged upgrades at this time. That said, we are extremely satisfied with the power and reliability of the current Stage I setup. I am absolutely confident that anyone experiencing it first hand will appreciate that it is worth every penny.

That said, the supercharger we use (Rotrex c38-91) is capable of 500+whp. Our intercooler, which we build in house is also capable of 500+whp.... so as we continue development, you can see where we are going with this? A Stage II upgrade would essentially just require a remap of the ECU. Further upgrades will require some engine work and upgrades to the fueling system.

Rafi

Last edited by gte; 10-19-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 08:26 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300GTE
So the kit is limited to a 6k rpm rev limit at this point? That's terrible! The only reason I can see that happening is the car runs out of fuel or knock becomes erratic?

Please confirm if I understand the rev limit correctly, if so I'll hold off until that's fixed.
time for gears and a shift light...lol
Old 10-19-17, 10:36 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
The intercooler air/air ?
Yes it is, we custom make it in house, and it will support 500whp without need for future upgrade.

The other problem is that the dyno curve is going to shift right 1000 rpms if peak boost is currently being made at 6000rpm and when this issue is figured out, will be then made at ~7000rpm. I'm excited for this product, but it already isn't making 300wtq until 4200rpm and I was expecting to see over 300wtq before 3000rpm to be honest? A stage 1 stock motor IS300 (2jzge) with a small turbo would make 300wtq right before 3000rpm. I understand the rod ratio's and stroke are different between the engines, but everything should be superior with this 3.5L motor?

I don't think comparing a 2GR to a 2JZ is relevant as the last time they made the 2JZ was 12 years ago. This is not an issue that requires a "fix." as the setup, as-is, is extremley reliable and very quick... it will absolutely destroy a FBO IS350. You cannot possibly drive our supercharged 3IS and walk away dissappointed in any way, especially when compared to a stock or FBO IS350... there is no comparison. Since you are in MD (only 1.5-2hr drive), I invite you to come up and witness the car for yourself before passing judgement.

Our Stage I power output of 366whp is very good. It compares very favorably to what modded STi's, BMW's, and Audi's are running.

The car makes very adequate torque, you have to drive it to understand. Keep in mind the relatively short gearing of the 8sp ensures that torque is not an issue. I can outrun a stock IS350 and never rev beyond 4500rpm.

We pulled against a B8 Audi S4 (3.0L Turbo engine) with Stage I APR tune... and we were either even, or slightly pulling on him in every pull. If you look at dyno pulls for Stage I S4's, they make more torque than we do.

I know that some people want to see us exceed 400whp and 450whp... and we will get there, but we find that most folks, particularly with newer 3IS's are foremost concerned with long term reliability. So we will keep pushing the power further, and testing at each phase to see what the limits are.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 10-19-17 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
2ltrgsr (10-19-17), GregCanada (10-20-17)
Old 10-19-17, 11:10 AM
gte
Driver

I would like to see the car in person or ride in it, I mentioned the 2j because I feel that this motor should be superior in every way when forced induction is added, being that it was designed in a CAD program and the 2j was designed on paper.

Can you confirm if the rev limiter is set at 5800rpm and if so why?

Originally Posted by RRRacing

I don't think comparing a 2GR to a 2JZ is relevant as the last time they made the 2JZ was 12 years ago. This is not an issue that requires a "fix." as the setup, as-is, is extremley reliable and very quick... it will absolutely destroy a FBO IS350. You cannot possibly drive our supercharged 3IS and walk away dissappointed in any way, especially when compared to a stock or FBO IS350... there is no comparison. Since you are in MD (only 1.5-2hr drive), I invite you to come up and witness the car for yourself before passing judgement.

Our Stage I power output of 366whp is very good. It compares very favorably to what modded STi's, BMW's, and Audi's are running.

The car makes very adequate torque, you have to drive it to understand. Keep in mind the relatively short gearing of the 8sp ensures that torque is not an issue. I can outrun a stock IS350 and never rev beyond 4500rpm.

We pulled against a B8 Audi S4 (3.0L Turbo engine) with Stage I APR tune... and we were either even, or slightly pulling on him in every pull. If you look at dyno pulls for Stage I S4's, they make more torque than we do.

I know that some people want to see us exceed 400whp and 450whp... and we will get there, but we find that most folks, particularly with newer 3IS's are foremost concerned with long term reliability. So we will keep pushing the power further, and testing at each phase to see what the limits are.

Rafi
Old 10-19-17, 11:29 AM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome! cant wait to get it. also any news for the 2017 ECU updates?
The following users liked this post:
FreshIS (10-19-17)
Old 10-19-17, 12:00 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see the car in person or ride in it, I mentioned the 2j because I feel that this motor should be superior in every way when forced induction is added, being that it was designed in a CAD program and the 2j was designed on paper.

Can you confirm if the rev limiter is set at 5800rpm and if so why?
The engine platform isn't inferior. It actually is superior to the 2JZ in different ways. The reason why the 2JZ is so popular is because you don't have to deal with the hyper-locked ECU in order to change the throttle maps, which is what allows you to change the fuel injection system and regulate the airflow into the piston chambers.

The engine itself has a forged bottom-end and connecting rods, with hypereutectic aluminum alloy pistons and aluminum alloy crankshaft bearings. It can definitely handle more power..

Check out this link for more info on the 2GR-FSE engine http://australiancar.reviews/2GR-FSE-engine.php

RR-Racing is being cautious and they want to make sure they build a reliable boost kit. The reason why I bought this car is because it was the best balance of reliability and performance. I plan on boosting it in the future and I am so happy we have a company out there tinkering with an IS350 to take on more power..
Old 10-19-17, 01:11 PM
gte
Driver

I can see how you misread what I posted, but "this engine" in my last post meant 2gr. Reread it that way, I think it will make more sense in respect to the following portion about CAD vs on paper design.

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
The engine platform isn't inferior. It actually is superior to the 2JZ in different ways. The reason why the 2JZ is so popular is because you don't have to deal with the hyper-locked ECU in order to change the throttle maps, which is what allows you to change the fuel injection system and regulate the airflow into the piston chambers.

The engine itself has a forged bottom-end and connecting rods, with hypereutectic aluminum alloy pistons and aluminum alloy crankshaft bearings. It can definitely handle more power..

Check out this link for more info on the 2GR-FSE engine http://australiancar.reviews/2GR-FSE-engine.php

RR-Racing is being cautious and they want to make sure they build a reliable boost kit. The reason why I bought this car is because it was the best balance of reliability and performance. I plan on boosting it in the future and I am so happy we have a company out there tinkering with an IS350 to take on more power..
Old 10-19-17, 02:41 PM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so nothing planned for rwd gs350? asking again since it didnt get answered
Old 10-20-17, 05:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PsykotiK
so nothing planned for rwd gs350? asking again since it didnt get answered
Sorry I missed your question. Of course the GS350 is supported. We are just waiting to do a local install in November which we have setup, as there are some minor modifications required to the piping compared to the IS350 kits. So yes, GS350 is a high priority, and its coming very soon.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-20-17, 05:45 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a super charger, but want low maintenance/modification.
So will this car pass smog/emissions in California?
Is there anyplace on the west coast that will do install?
Can I run this with a bone stock is350?
When you guys say it's for off-road and track only... Can I still drive my car everyday like I do now without any probs from the feds or anyone else in CA?
Old 10-20-17, 06:11 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshIS
Any update on the ECU/TCU flash for 2017 IS3XX ?

Thanks,
I spoke with Rafi last week. They're still waiting for the company that makes the handhelds to do some in-house programming. This is supposed to happen by month end. As I'm sure you are aware...Lexus changed something in the OBD protocol and that's what they're trying to figure out. The current handheld won't communicate properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drawblood:
FreshIS (10-23-17), isquarei (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 08:50 AM
gte
Driver

So this is correct information?

Stage 1 = 366whp and 5800rpm redline
Stage 2 = ~400whp and 7000rpm redline

The only real difference being the redline and tuning required for the extra rpm and generated boost?
Old 10-21-17, 12:48 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2JZ is a cast iron block with low compression ratio VS 2GR is a cast aluminium block with high compression.
The 2JZ is a much stronger engine and able to handle high power compare to the 2GR.

Last edited by forum429; 10-21-17 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 12:13 PM
gte
Driver

Thanks for not reading what I posted and contributing nothing!

Originally Posted by forum429
The 2JZ is a cast iron block with low compression ratio VS 2GR is a cast aluminium block with high compression.
The 2JZ is a much stronger engine and able to handle high power compare to the 2GR.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development