CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 08:27 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

This thread was such a good read! Here I thought I was one of the first people getting this supercharger doh.. And to add just found out RR Racing is right around the corner from me all this while. First impressions for me...I am not only so glad to have found a FI solution but a local performance shop that are more than just mechanics.
I will be picking up my supercharged RC350 AWD F-Sport this Wednesday if all goes well with time and I am very excited for the finished product and results! To add, I asked the RR racing team to leave my factory headers and 'mufflerless' exhaust system alone for now. Curious to see how that will end up sounding and performance decreases but I have a feeling my goals will be met either way for now... A link to my RC (Roxy) build below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9451497

Old 12-17-18, 09:09 AM
Tim151
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
This thread was such a good read! Here I thought I was one of the first people getting this supercharger doh.. And to add just found out RR Racing is right around the corner from me all this while. First impressions for me...I am not only so glad to have found a FI solution but a local performance shop that are more than just mechanics.
I will be picking up my supercharged RC350 AWD F-Sport this Wednesday if all goes well with time and I am very excited for the finished product and results! To add, I asked the RR racing team to leave my factory headers and 'mufflerless' exhaust system alone for now. Curious to see how that will end up sounding and performance decreases but I have a feeling my goals will be met either way for now... A link to my RC (Roxy) build below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9451497
you will absolutely love the power and feel of the car I’ve put a few thousand miles on my supercharged is350 making 430whp with a e85 mix and it’s so smooth and linear power wise, I would defiantly recommend headers down the road as that helps a lot with power, I have a couple videos on my Instagram boosted_350 of the car.
The following users liked this post:
lexual_rc (12-17-18)
Old 12-17-18, 09:26 AM
FreshIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates on the TCU tune? I have the ECU tune and its great, but the 6 speed on the AWD is painfully slow at shifting.
Old 12-18-18, 05:12 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,400 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshIS
Any updates on the TCU tune? I have the ECU tune and its great, but the 6 speed on the AWD is painfully slow at shifting.
The TCU is not really going to improve shift feel or shift quality. For that I recommend removing the valvebody and installing a shift kit. This consists of minor upgrades intended to increase fluid pressure during shifts.

We are working on valvebody mods to improve shifting and hold more power with the superchargers.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-20-18, 01:08 PM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok after spending a few hrs looking like I am at working doing work but reading through this 34 page thread, I have a few questions.
I already messaged RR racing about cost and hp figures with my basic setup but I saw a few people asked about TCU tuning and transmission slip and shift points.
1) what exactly are they having a problem with?
2) Is this "slip" actually the clutches in the transmission slipping ?
3) which transmission are you guys having the issue with? 6speed or 8speed or both?
4) it is a year later is there a revised tune to avoid this issue?
5) My transmission auto up shifts even in manual mode, will this tune stop that and give me full control in M mode? (I have a 14 is350 f sport 8speed RWD)

Sorry for the long questions and yes i have read the meme's about the broke ones asking the most questions LOL LOL

Last edited by SSworks; 12-20-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 02:48 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSworks
Ok after spending a few hrs looking like I am at working doing work but reading through this 34 page thread, I have a few questions.
I already messaged RR racing about cost and hp figures with my basic setup but I saw a few people asked about TCU tuning and transmission slip and shift points.
1) what exactly are they having a problem with?
2) Is this "slip" actually the clutches in the transmission slipping ?
3) which transmission are you guys having the issue with? 6speed or 8speed or both?
4) it is a year later is there a revised tune to avoid this issue?
5) My transmission auto up shifts even in manual mode, will this tune stop that and give me full control in M mode? (I have a 14 is350 f sport 8speed RWD)

Sorry for the long questions and yes i have read the meme's about the broke ones asking the most questions LOL LOL
The slip that is being referenced occurs above 6800rpm stock rev limit. Normally the torque converter on these cars is locked in 2-8th gear, but above 6800 the TC unlocks.

At this time we don't have a tune for the transmission. There are ways of flashing it, but at this time it requires opening the ECU and flashing on the bench, not via OBD.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-20-18, 02:52 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

5) I was just using sport+ and manual mode with traction control completely off. It didn’t automatically upshift. Try that?
Old 12-20-18, 04:33 PM
SSworks
Driver

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
5) I was just using sport+ and manual mode with traction control completely off. It didn’t automatically upshift. Try that?
Tried this on the way home and it didn't work, it still up shifted for me.
Sport +
Track control off, holding the button for 10 seconds with the orange tc light on to the left of the dash

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-20-18, 04:39 PM
SSworks
Driver

Originally Posted by RRRacing
The slip that is being referenced occurs above 6800rpm stock rev limit. Normally the torque converter on these cars is locked in 2-8th gear, but above 6800 the TC unlocks.

At this time we don't have a tune for the transmission. There are ways of flashing it, but at this time it requires opening the ECU and flashing on the bench, not via OBD.

Rafi
What are the long term issues with a torque converter that keeps on slipping at high RPM. With my limited knowledge of the topic there is a clutch in there somewhere between the turbine and front cover how will the constant slipping and increase heat affect the clutch and the TC as a whole?

Last edited by SSworks; 12-20-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 05:20 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSworks
What are the long term issues with a torque converter that keeps on slipping at high RPM. With my limited knowledge of the topic there is a clutch in there somewhere between the turbine and front cover how will the constant slipping and increases heat affect the this clutch and the TC as a whole?
We have never had a TC issue or heard of any on any of the AA80E or AA81E 8sp trannies. Limiting rev limit to 6800 is an option as well. BTW, AWD 6sp trannies don’t have this issue.

Rafi
Old 12-20-18, 05:26 PM
SSworks
Driver

We have never had a TC issue or heard of any on any of the AA80E or AA81E 8sp trannies. Limiting rev limit to 6800 is an option as well. BTW, AWD 6sp trannies don’t have this issue.

Rafi
Ok cool, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Definitely got a sale out of me in January.
Old 12-20-18, 06:35 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rafi, any update on when you'll have a unit available for a 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD? For the 2GR-FKS engine?

Chris
Old 12-20-18, 06:47 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by darkfire
Rafi, any update on when you'll have a unit available for a 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD? For the 2GR-FKS engine?

Chris
Hard to say, install of the mechanical components is easy, but we really need a car available at the shop for about 2 weeks, just so we can make sure tuning is fully sorted. Would definitely be interested in at least datalogging a local 2gr-fks car first.

Rafi
Old 12-20-18, 07:04 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to say, install of the mechanical components is easy, but we really need a car available at the shop for about 2 weeks, just so we can make sure tuning is fully sorted. Would definitely be interested in at least datalogging a local 2gr-fks car first.

Rafi
Understand. Thanks. I'll check back periodically.

Chris
Old 01-20-19, 04:44 PM
isquarei
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on the 2017+ tune? Been 2 years now

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development