CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors

Lexion Carplay & Android Auto Display for all Lexus models

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22 | 06:37 AM
wanderer82
6th Gear

Thanks for the update, and fantastic news that the android auto is wireless!! Is the USB cable even needed? As per your backup camera and sensors, are they all working properly once you made changes in the advanced settings?
Old 10-05-22 | 09:07 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wanderer82
Thanks for the update, and fantastic news that the android auto is wireless!! Is the USB cable even needed? As per your backup camera and sensors, are they all working properly once you made changes in the advanced settings?
No, the USB cable I don't use at all. I still dropped it just in case I ever need to use wired as I did notice the Wireless one had a lower resolution and the wired one is higher. Backup camera works fine with lines and projection working properly. Another issue I forgot to point out was the passenger airbag light, I just took it off of the bracket and left it plugged in behind the unit.

Sensors are still an issue I'm trying to figure out, I'm waiting on a response from Reyn about it. They still "work" but they don't give the proper range indicator anymore. One of the issues I encountered this morning was that phone calls (and audio/music) need to be accessed through the OEM UI and then they can be heard in AA/Carplay or the new system. I actually just have it boot to the OEM system and I start playing my music / phone call and then by the time I get that done, the new system is fully booted and I can get into AA/Carplay.

So far I love it. I feel like this is how Lexus should have originally made the screen in the ES. I'll attach a picture of what it looks like from the driver's seat.
Old 10-05-22 | 01:55 PM
wanderer82
6th Gear

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing if the sensor issue gets resolved.
Old 10-06-22 | 04:31 PM
loukas
1st Gear

Default Head unit on Amazon?

Hi all,

there is a head unit sold on Amazon (
here here
), which is made by Mekede Technologies (http://www.mekede.com/) in China. The unit and the features look very similar to the Binary/Lexion units.

Does anyone know whether the unit is the same as the Binary, which is also made in China, but the company Binary Technologies seems to be different than Mekede.

Any experience with the Mekede unit?

Thanks

Last edited by loukas; 10-06-22 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shoodes (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22 | 01:41 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by loukas
Hi all,

there is a head unit sold on Amazon (here), which is made by Mekede Technologies (http://www.mekede.com/) in China. The unit and the features look very similar to the Binary/Lexion units.

Does anyone know whether the unit is the same as the Binary, which is also made in China, but the company Binary Technologies seems to be different than Mekede.

Any experience with the Mekede unit?

Thanks

Mekede is a bigger manufacturer of units in China, I can find it on 1688.com for $474 USD with Qualcomm MSM8953 (4gb/64gb) which is similar to the CPU in the newer Binary units. (EDIT: I have been informed that Binary uses faster CPU and does their own designs)

I don't know if they share the same software or anything. I also don't know if they will give you the same support. I have a Mekede M700S in my girlfriend's Highlander, but I have the ability to communicate with them in Chinese.
If you search on 1688 or even Alibaba / Aliexpress you can find more of their units with joystick/touchpad or for other models.

Last edited by shoodes; 10-16-22 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-11-22 | 01:58 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wanderer82
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing if the sensor issue gets resolved.

Sensor issue was resolved, I ended up going into the OEM system and just changing the distance settings back and forth. Now the sensors show up on the OEM system, I can only mute by touching the mute button though.
It's definitely survived the Texas Heat, but since I've gotten it, the highest temperature outside has been 96F~ so no telling if it'll work in the crazy summers we'll have.

Probably will be my final update for now unless y'all have any more questions or I run into any wacky issues.

Old 10-20-22 | 03:27 PM
Rabbitz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Rabbitz
Placed an order today with Eric. Messaged him through Instagram and he took a long time to respond. Said he'll ship the product in 2 to 3 weeks. Hopefully everything works out OK
Got my order yesterday. Took about 18 days. It looks like an all in one unit because there is just the screen and the cabling. Will let you all know how it works out

Edit - is removing the glove box necessary if it's an all in one unit?
Old 10-22-22 | 09:34 AM
Rabbitz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shoodes
Sensor issue was resolved, I ended up going into the OEM system and just changing the distance settings back and forth. Now the sensors show up on the OEM system, I can only mute by touching the mute button though.
It's definitely survived the Texas Heat, but since I've gotten it, the highest temperature outside has been 96F~ so no telling if it'll work in the crazy summers we'll have.

Probably will be my final update for now unless y'all have any more questions or I run into any wacky issues.
Hi Shoodes,

I am in the process of installing the new unit. Do I get rid of the old harness that connected the old screen to the old head unit? And then run the new harness from the screen to the OEM unit?
Old 10-22-22 | 09:49 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Hi Shoodes,

I am in the process of installing the new unit. Do I get rid of the old harness that connected the old screen to the old head unit? And then run the new harness from the screen to the OEM unit?

Hey, I don't remember taking out any harnesses. The one you get should go in-between the harness that originally went to the screen. As in you unplug everything that was on the screen and then connect the harness and the other plugs to the head units harness and then to the new screen. Everything was plug and play, theres no wire splicing and you can't really accidentally install the wrong plug due to the sizing.

This was for the ES though, not sure if yours may be different.
Old 10-22-22 | 03:49 PM
Rabbitz
10th Gear

Finally got it installed. Took me a solid couple of hours mostly because I was not sure about some things and never had to take apart any section of my car before. Messaged Eric on WhatsApp and he was quick to support remotely. Also, the posts in this thread were invaluable.

All in all, its not the easiest of installs but they have made it foolproof by making sure any connector does not go into the wrong spot.

Followed the beatsonic video to remove everything. Couldn't figure out how to run the harness to the screen without taking down the glove box. Although not easy, there should be a way to get it to the screen without removing the glove box.

There are some extra connectors in the harness that confused me. Once Eric said they were unnecessary, it was smooth sailing. Make sure the mic male and female go together, yellow camera in and camera go together. Didn't have to change any software settings to make the backup camera work.

Touch screen works really well. Android auto is wireless. Resolution of the screen is great. Significant upgrade to my non navigation **** control infotainment system.

The screen fit was way too tight just like @shoodes mentioned. Had to stuff it in by bending the dash. The lexion unit came with an additional plastic bottom plate. Couldn't fit the old one at all. The new plate is still not flush with the dashboard. I'll try messing with it tomorrow to make it fit.

The only issue I have so far is when I click on the Audio button, it opens the built in music player and plays Chinese tracks from its flash memory. Is there a way to switch that to Spotify?
Old 10-23-22 | 11:36 AM
carbon1903
3rd Gear

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop by and give an update to my original purchase.
After a long time not hearing from Lexion, I was contacted by Kim (apparently their new manager/sale person) via whatsapp and he asked me to send the unit back for an exchange to a newer one (with Qualcomm chip). The return address was in New York, but I had to pay for the shipping myself.
Kim then sent me a new unit to try out. This one comes with different harness (some extra like speaker/wifi dongle) compare to the last one. I installed this unit and everything seems to work perfectly fine, except sometime the wifi signal can get spotty. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, but usually a reconnect will fix it.

After confirming everything works, I was asked to send a payment via Paypal to him. It didn't look very professional - but at least I can appreciate they try to get things resolved even though it took quite a long time.
Looking through Aliexpress, there appear to be many units with similar or beter spec (Qualcomm chip + 6GB RAM, I got 4GB). The hardware seems to come from the same factory, but maybe there are some difference in software so just keep that in mind where you purchase it from.

Hopefully this is it. Wish everyone best of luck in finding a unit that works!
Old 10-25-22 | 04:22 PM
Rabbitz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shoodes
One of the issues I encountered this morning was that phone calls (and audio/music) need to be accessed through the OEM UI and then they can be heard in AA/Carplay or the new system. I actually just have it boot to the OEM system and I start playing my music / phone call and then by the time I get that done, the new system is fully booted and I can get into AA/Carplay.
I am running into a similar issue with phone calls. Phone needs to be connected to the OEM system as well as the Lexion system simultaneously in order to make phone calls and connect Android auto wirelessly. Only issue is while receiving phone calls it gets disconnected automatically after one ring. Outgoing calls works fine.

If I connect to just the Lexion system, voice of the caller doesn't come through into the Lexion system and the mic also doesn't work.
Old 10-26-22 | 11:43 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

I am running into a similar issue with phone calls. Phone needs to be connected to the OEM system as well as the Lexion system simultaneously in order to make phone calls and connect Android auto wirelessly. Only issue is while receiving phone calls it gets disconnected automatically after one ring. Outgoing calls works fine.

If I connect to just the Lexion system, voice of the caller doesn't come through into the Lexion system and the mic also doesn't work.
Same. It's not a big deal to be honest, but it is quite annoying having to call someone back. I haven't tried connecting to just the system, my phone has always been paired with OEM too. The solution I noticed was that you have to change the "handset mode" in the OEM system if you can't hear anybody.

My "day/night" mode for maps also does not work. I have had this issue with ALL AFTERMARKET AA units so it's not just them. I have to manually go into the settings in AA on the unit when its connected and swap it from Day/Night. There are a few settings in the developer options of AA on your device and I have already tried those too. It's kind of nitpicky but it's worth to point out.

The screen stuffing is definitely kind of scary because I was afraid i was gonna bend something or mess something up with the dashboard material. The plastic trim they sent stays almost flush for me, I ended up putting a small piece of 3M Trim tape to keep it. Also, the issue with the tracks autoplaying for you is kind of strange.

Past all of that, I very much enjoy using the unit. It's a massive upgrade from the stock system and was absolutely worth it IMO.

Last edited by shoodes; 10-26-22 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-26-22 | 08:34 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

You need to disconnect Lexus Bluetooth and use CarPlay for phone calls. The only caveat is if you’re not in Aux you won’t be able to hear conversation. If you still use BT then when phone call comes in you have to switch audio on iPhone to CarPlay it takes some fumbling while driving.
Old 10-27-22 | 01:01 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by dojoman
You need to disconnect Lexus Bluetooth and use CarPlay for phone calls. The only caveat is if you’re not in Aux you won’t be able to hear conversation. If you still use BT then when phone call comes in you have to switch audio on iPhone to CarPlay it takes some fumbling while driving.
Hi Dojoman. Nice to see you here. Always helpful with Lexion information.

Quick Reply: Lexion Carplay & Android Auto Display for all Lexus models