CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

Group Buy RRRacing/Penske ISF coilovers Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 06:51 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Nice, looking good! Did you leave ride height about where Rafi had it or change?

Any time saving tips you can share for install or is it more of just having familiarity?

Ride/handing impressions?

Thanks for sharing!
I have not adjusted ride height yet.. I like the way it sits now, but I'll wait & see.. BTW, the preset height worked out perfectly for me regarding uniformity (see photos below of front L & R). For the first timers like me, I can certainly share what I learned to help the install go more smoothly. Others with more experience, please correct me if I'm giving bad advice...

Front:

1. Remove the lower shock bolt from the rear (circled in green).. The nut on the front has four serrations to keep it in place.. We wasted a lot of time on the first one trying to take the nut off, but it wouldn't budge.. D'oh!

2. Other than the lower shock bolt, we only removed the three nuts at the top of the shock tower, and the small bolt holding the speed sensor cable. Once that's done, there's enough play to pull everything down & remove the OEM shock from the front bumper side.

3. To remove the speed sensor connector, insert a very small (jeweler's) slotted screwdriver under the tab on the bottom side. Give it a little lift & twist and the connector should slide right off.. It took way to long for me to figure this out the first time!! Why must every damn automotive electrical connector on the planet be unique!?!?!

4. Install the Penske with with the compression adjuster facing the wheel (see the photo in my last post). In that position it's pretty easy to make adjustments, even when the car is on ground. In fact, I think it would be a PITA to adjust if installed the opposite way.

Rear:

1. Like the front, remove the two bolts in the lower suspension arm from the rear (circled in green). Both those nuts are serrated.

2. There are also two nuts that connect the OEM shock to the undercarriage. I found that can you reach both by removing the rear nut that secures the fender liner. You only need enough room to remove the old ones & let them fall since you won't be re-installing them.

3. Other than those above & the three nuts at the top of the shock tower, we only removed the bracket for the sway bar. That provided enough play to remove & install the shock.

Also, if you're doing this in the garage on jack stands, be aware that the car will be lower with the Penskes. Unless you have a very low profile jack, you'll need to place blocks of wood under the wheels when lowering.. Otherwise, you may end up with a jack stuck under the car

-Mike

Front

Rear

Left front ride height

Right front ride height

Last edited by mikersoft; 04-30-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 07:15 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnfwm
My track weekend is this next weekend coming up. I thought for sure when I placed an order at the end of march that I would have them by this upcoming weekend. I guess not.
I just checked the status of my order and it says it's still being processed. I believe I was the 3rd one to place my order.

Jeff
Old 04-30-16, 07:58 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the tips! Appreciate you taking the time to share. I'm sure they will help for my garage install too.

Looking forward to hearing your ride impressions once you have more seat time. I won't be able to install mine for at least another few weeks, due to the shipping delays I will miss my install window! So will be living vicariously through my fellow enthusiasts!

-Abe
Old 04-30-16, 10:01 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mike,

Very helpful information. Glad you were able to ge them installed. Look forward to more feedback from those that have installed theirs.

I too, am still waiting for mine... Have not received a shipping notification yet.
Old 05-01-16, 11:28 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my shipping notification!! Can't wait for them to show up at my door. I will pull my TEINs out the day before the Penske's come in. Thanks Rafi and Simon!!
Old 05-01-16, 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

A meaningful ride height measurement would be from the center of the bolt on the front of the lower control arm to the ground in the front and the center of the bolt on the inside of the lower control arm in the rear. Gaps between the tire and wheel are pretty subjective for figuring ride height.
Old 05-01-16, 08:58 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A meaningful ride height measurement would be from the center of the bolt on the front of the lower control arm to the ground in the front and the center of the bolt on the inside of the lower control arm in the rear. Gaps between the tire and wheel are pretty subjective for figuring ride height.
Thanks, just to clarify are you saying it's subjective for comparison to other people's ride height (due to tire differences) or it's an inaccurate measurement even on the same ride when comparing right to left sides?
Old 05-01-16, 10:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Thanks, just to clarify are you saying it's subjective for comparison to other people's ride height (due to tire differences) or it's an inaccurate measurement even on the same ride when comparing right to left sides?
Both. Sheet metal is made and installed to much looser tolerances than the chassis.
Old 05-02-16, 05:00 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received my shipping notification today! Really looking forward to getting these installed. Debating on ordering new MPSS 275's for the back and moving the 255''s up front. Really wish the MPSS came in a 285, my stock tires are still new....guess I could try and sell the 225's.

Thanks again Rafi and Simon!
Old 05-03-16, 08:14 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5280ISF, I just bought mpss in 245/275, they have amazing reviews so I figured I would try them out!
Old 05-04-16, 09:29 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5280ISF, I just bought mpss in 245/275, they have amazing reviews so I figured I would try them out!
That's my setup 245/275 pss tires. They have arrived

Last edited by Katin2; 05-05-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 05:13 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Thanks guys, I have new 255's in back that I will move to the front and will be getting 275's for the rear.

Just got my Penske's today! So will try and get them installed this weekend.
Old 05-05-16, 06:51 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I received mine yesterday. Thanks to Rafi for the fast shipping when I requested it.

I have a question about the height. In the instructions it's mentioned that they come set up to drop the car 1" in the back and 1.3" in the front. I'm wondering if this is a typo. I remember reading that they came with about a 1/2" drop in the back and about 1" in the front.

Those of you that have installed the coilovers, do they lower the back 1"? Has anyone done a before and after measurement?
Old 05-07-16, 03:54 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

First off a big thanks to rafi and Simon for getting this stuff to me for the track weekend. Doing a 5 am install this morning to be ready for the weekend. Can someone please comment because for the life of me I can not find the rebound adjustment.
Old 05-07-16, 03:57 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

First off a big thanks to rafi and Simon for getting this stuff to me for the track weekend. Doing a 5 am install this morning to be ready for the weekend. Can someone please comment because for the life of me I can not find the rebound adjustment.

Quick Reply: Group Buy RRRacing/Penske ISF coilovers Group Buy