CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 02:44 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Yesterday was my track day at Summit Point, WV (main circuit). I like these pads!

Interesting color on the edges of my front rotors at the end of the day..

-Mike
I like that red clay color! How'd they do? Able to go deep into the breaking zone?
Old 04-23-16, 04:13 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
I like that red clay color! How'd they do? Able to go deep into the breaking zone?
I thought they were fine.. They never felt like they were giving up on me even though this track has three sections were I started reaching 100 mph or more before braking. Though, I think I was abusing them by braking too early for turn 1 from the highest speeds. The front straight is nearly 3000' and I was reaching 130-135 mph before the turn, which is a tight right-hander,.. I'd been braking at 600 ft, and my instructor started telling me the brakes were plenty good to go deeper.. I did start going deeper late in session 4, but I think all the long stops from top speed really took their toll..

After cleaning the car up today, I noticed some cracking had started around the drilled holes, which I guess is common with drilled rotors.. Also, my front pads are no longer Project Mu blue! They've turned black.. I wonder if that's expected...

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special-img_3450.jpg  
Old 04-24-16, 08:07 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought they were fine.. They never felt like they were giving up on me even though this track has three sections were I started reaching 100 mph or more before braking. Though, I think I was abusing them by braking too early for turn 1 from the highest speeds. The front straight is nearly 3000' and I was reaching 130-135 mph before the turn, which is a tight right-hander,.. I'd been braking at 600 ft, and my instructor started telling me the brakes were plenty good to go deeper.. I did start going deeper late in session 4, but I think all the long stops from top speed really took their toll..

After cleaning the car up today, I noticed some cracking had started around the drilled holes, which I guess is common with drilled rotors.. Also, my front pads are no longer Project Mu blue! They've turned black.. I wonder if that's expected...

-Mike
i had a complete front/rear Baer Brake cross drilled/slotted brake setup on my 91 Mustang LX years ago and that's when i learned about cracking on these types of rotors. are they like hairline cracks, or more of a severe crack? i do more of a hairline crack is normal, but i could be wrong.

stock rotors?
Old 04-24-16, 09:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

^^^^It's quite common for the ISF's stock drilled front rotors to have hairline cracks around the around the holes when the brakes are used enthusiastically. There have been other threads confirming this.

I guess this is the reason Lexus has gone to slotted rotors on the RCF and the GSF. I have replaced my front rotors with slotted rotors.

Lou
Old 04-25-16, 03:59 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mindcrime
i had a complete front/rear Baer Brake cross drilled/slotted brake setup on my 91 Mustang LX years ago and that's when i learned about cracking on these types of rotors. are they like hairline cracks, or more of a severe crack? i do more of a hairline crack is normal, but i could be wrong.

stock rotors?
Yeah, they're very small cracks that emanate from some of the drilled holes.. OEM rotors.

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^It's quite common for the ISF's stock drilled front rotors to have hairline cracks around the around the holes when the brakes are used enthusiastically. There have been other threads confirming this.

I guess this is the reason Lexus has gone to slotted rotors on the RCF and the GSF. I have replaced my front rotors with slotted rotors.

Lou

I was initially very concerned, but now that I've read about how common it is, I'm not too worried about it.. I'll just keep an eye on them, especially before/after my next track day.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 04-25-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 02:36 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

-Mike
It sounds and looks like you've given these a proper beating at your track event I am happy to hear they did their job and took it well!

The color shift is typical when the pads are used very aggressively- the paint Project Mu uses on these seems to burn right off when the pads start to reach the upper end of their temp range. I think Endless is the only colored pad that I have never been able to make color shift with excessive heat.

Also the cracking on drilled rotors is typical, as you've already seen. The holes are a stress riser since the area around them cools much faster than the rest of the friction surface. We always try to recommend a slotted or blank rotor if the car will be used on track but unfortunately options are limited. The Project Mu Club Racer rotors are probably the best option for a single piece slotted rotor on the IS-F but are difficult stock at times.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-25-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 05:47 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
The color shift is typical when the pads are used very aggressively- the paint Project Mu uses on these seems to burn right off when the pads start to reach the upper end of their temp range. I think Endless is the only colored pad that I have never been able to make color shift with excessive heat.

-Matt M.
Good to know

With that said, I highly recommend these pads for dual street/track use. They can take a serious beating, but they're perfectly livable (quiet) day to day once properly bedded. Yes, they do create quite a bit of dust with aggressive use, but during normal street driving they're no more dusty than OEM..

I will run these all summer, then maybe go back to the NS400 during the colder months. Track day prep just got a whole lot easier!

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 04-25-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 07:42 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent you a PM yesterday, SpeedFreaks
Old 05-19-16, 08:41 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have run 4 track days with these pads and project mu high temp fluid purchased from speed freaks. The bite is incredilble (coming from stop techs) and I as well was running a track with three areas over 100 mph and you can run lap after lap after lap with these brakes and fluid. No complaints from myself, I am quite happy with the product.
Old 05-19-16, 09:25 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnfwm
I have run 4 track days with these pads and project mu high temp fluid purchased from speed freaks. The bite is incredilble (coming from stop techs) and I as well was running a track with three areas over 100 mph and you can run lap after lap after lap with these brakes and fluid. No complaints from myself, I am quite happy with the product.
how would you rate the brake dust compared to oem brembo ones? 1-10 10 being really dusty aka oem ones lol
Old 05-23-16, 10:33 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these things. I replaced front and rears and have run them at 2 track events (Roebling and AMP)and daily drive about 40 miles round trip. They do get dirty, but nothing Sonax can't handle. They are pretty quite. These bad boys bite.....I mean bite with no fade. Going to track (AMP) on the 25. Actually will be practicing some late braking. I noticed my front rotors are cracking as well. My rears look fine.
Old 05-25-16, 08:16 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

How much are these for a complete set?
Old 05-25-16, 12:48 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

So happy to see all the positive feedback on these! We had a feeling these would be a popular hybrid option and it's nice to see they are living up to all the hype for the IS-F guys who want some serious stopping power on the street and track

-Matt M.
Old 05-25-16, 12:49 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rossi
How much are these for a complete set?
Please see this link

-Matt M.
Old 05-25-16, 07:06 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
how would you rate the brake dust compared to oem brembo ones? 1-10 10 being really dusty aka oem ones lol
They are pretty bad (9) but who cares. Dracula can't bite harder then these bad boys. I invested in a gallon of Sonax.

Quick Reply: New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special