CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 12:21 AM
poorbong
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump it up
Old 06-08-17, 03:44 PM
Marcin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered HC800s from them on the 5th, they got here on the 8th. Very nice guys, thanks!
Old 06-16-17, 10:44 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcin
Ordered HC800s from them on the 5th, they got here on the 8th. Very nice guys, thanks!
Thanks for the order, we hope you enjoy them!

We have 17 full sets left in stock and ready to ship if anyone else is ready to try them out or re-up on a new set

-Matt M.
Old 06-17-17, 08:49 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We have 17 full sets left in stock and ready to ship if anyone else is ready to try them out or re-up on a new set

-Matt M.
My re-up set just arrived yesterday It appears that I might be on a pretty close 2:1 front/rear pad replacement ratio.

-Mike
Old 08-16-17, 12:06 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

More than 20 full sets in stock and ready to ship!
Old 09-22-17, 09:45 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

You would not believe it but we are currently sold out at the moment. Our next shipment is due to land Oct 23.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-22-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 12:02 PM
Somboa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in this as I've sold my dedicated track car and will now only attend HPDE/open lapping days with my ISF. Don't really want to swap pads before/after either so this will be perfect!

1. Ppl normally go with a one step up pads in the front vs rear (ie Carbotech XP10/8). Should one keep the same ratio with these pads or is it okay to go with the HC+800 front and rear?
2. Will the RR-Racing titanium shims fit over these pads in the front? (Just trying to maximize cooling of the pads).
Old 09-26-17, 05:37 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Somboa
Interested in this as I've sold my dedicated track car and will now only attend HPDE/open lapping days with my ISF. Don't really want to swap pads before/after either so this will be perfect!

1. Ppl normally go with a one step up pads in the front vs rear (ie Carbotech XP10/8). Should one keep the same ratio with these pads or is it okay to go with the HC+800 front and rear?
2. Will the RR-Racing titanium shims fit over these pads in the front? (Just trying to maximize cooling of the pads).
1. I've been doing track days for the past couple years with HC+800 in both front & rear. I never considered trying a different pad in back to change the rear bias.. Now I'm interested in learning more about that & how it may impact braking performance.

2. Yes, they fit (I've been using them). However, there are cases were they're a very tight fit (i.e. brand new pads and rotors).

-Mike
Old 09-26-17, 10:48 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Somboa

Originally Posted by mikersoft
1. I've been doing track days for the past couple years with HC+800 in both front & rear. I never considered trying a different pad in back to change the rear bias.. Now I'm interested in learning more about that & how it may impact braking performance.

2. Yes, they fit (I've been using them). However, there are cases were they're a very tight fit (i.e. brand new pads and rotors).

-Mike
Thanks for chiming in, Mike!

Regarding staggering the pad compounds I know a lot of people do this with track compounds but it is not always necessary or necessarily the best way to go. There are many variables that determine what is best for your car and your needs. Some manufacturers (Carbotech is most relevant in this discussion with the IS-F) will typically recommend a split as well but to be completely honest that is almost entirely a conservative blanket recommendation to minimize the chance of getting blamed in the case that the end user has an accident of any sort. In any case the IS-F specifically is arguably overly front biased from the factory so going more aggressive front compound isn't the move to make until you get into *very* aggressive track only compounds that will start to cause rear locking issues- of which the HC+800 is not. The HC+800 is, however, aggressive for a street compound and the friction levels/torque curve seem to be right in the sweet spot for use on both the front and rear using most street to entry level r-comp tires.

The first batch of pads were very thick as we were trying to maximize the usable compound thickness and in hindsight it caused some slight headaches for some of our guys when trying to install them. As Mike suggested it was unlikely that you would be able to get a shim in there if you were installing them on new pads with new rotors... especially if they were the ever so slightly thicker RB 2-peice rotors. We have since tweaked the specs and so the last batch we brought in as well as the incoming batch are made 1mm thinner than before to alleviate these issues.

-Matt M.
The following users liked this post:
mikersoft (09-28-17)
Old 10-22-17, 10:09 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
You would not believe it but we are currently sold out at the moment. Our next shipment is due to land Oct 23.

-Matt M.
Let us know when these are ready to ship out, I need a set!
Old 10-26-17, 02:36 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

It's been delay after delay with Project Mu lately so we decided to pull a few sets from our batch waiting to go out via sea freight and had them flown in. They have arrived and we're using a couple sets to fill time sensitive backorders but it looks like we'll have one or two sets left up for grabs this week. Will update when the dust settles and I can officially confirm how many sets we'll have available to ship out.

-Matt M.
Old 11-01-17, 08:47 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much for the 800 front pads?
Old 11-29-17, 12:17 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Default Interesting Pad Failure

On my way home from work yesterday, I felt/heard some grinding from the front driver side brake... I figured it was either a pad or rotor wear issue since both were near their EOL, so I nursed the car home with very gentle braking..

Upon initial inspection, I saw this, which kind of freaked me out.. I thought maybe I had a caliper/piston issue that had been causing uneven pad wear for an extend time..

However, when I removed the inside pad, this is all that was left.. Well, that explains the grinding noise!

I found the rest of that pad wedged in between the rotor and shield...

On the passenger side, the inside pad came out in two pieces..

I suspect I just got these things too hot during multiple summer track days, but I'm kind of shocked they started to fall apart like this.. .. I used up more of my first set of HC+800 pads without such an issue.

Matt M, can you comment? Thanks.

-Mike
Old 11-29-17, 01:40 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I suspect I just got these things too hot during multiple summer track days, but I'm kind of shocked they started to fall apart like this.. .. I used up more of my first set of HC+800 pads without such an issue.

Matt M, can you comment? Thanks.

-Mike
With the frequency of track days that you're doing, have you considered switching to the Club Racer compound? When speaking to Matt, he noted that on the track, the Club Racers will last substantially longer compared to the HC+800 (especially if you get your pads very hot).
Old 12-01-17, 10:03 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Woah just seeing this now. It looks like those things got *seriously* hot. Thats the first HC+800 I've ever seen delaminate like that but certainly not the first time I've seen this with other pads. This is rare but it can happen from time to time if you really cook the pads beyond their optimal temp range many times over (very large heat cycles), run them down that thin and is usually exacerbated by lots of ABS intervention if you're over-braking on track quite a bit. Basically, more often than not, many extreme heat cycles make the pad material brittle and the hammering effect of ABS can cause them to break up if circumstances are extreme enough. I really only ever see this happen on very worn pads as well- typically because thats when they have the most heat cycles and theres just physically less pad material to absorb the ABS impacts.

Still would love to get some of these photos into Project Mu to see what their response is. Do you have any other data with these? Are you logging the caliper and/or rotor temps when coming off track? I know everyone wants the convenience of a dual duty pad but if this continues to happen or you find that pad life in general keeps getting worse for you with these or the MX72 then it may be time to make the jump to a full track compound for your events based on what I'm seeing.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 12-01-17 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special