CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16 | 07:14 PM
Justind27
Instructor

I'm in I'll have some down time soon if not right now
Old 01-22-16 | 08:32 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Question- are there benefits of this tune when not at wide open throttle? The majority of time I drive the car is partial throttle. I'd like to understand this aspect a little better before I buy it. Thanks
Old 01-22-16 | 11:26 PM
H60Driver
Driver

I can't freaking wait for a supercharger!!!!
Old 01-23-16 | 01:08 AM
Vitveet
Racer

With this tune, would there still be any need/use in getting an Apexi Throttle controller? If people already had it, would it still function properly/give better response over what the tune will?

V.
Old 01-23-16 | 01:36 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

[QUOTE=Vitveet;9334888]With this tune, would there still be any need/use in getting an Apexi Throttle controller? If people already had it, would it still function properly/give better response over what the tune will?

Just to answer the first part of your question. One of the items the tune addressed was the throttle response. According, to what Rafi said it was like having a throttle controller installed such as Apexi and other similar sold products, but way better. It would be interesting if having the tune and such Device installed take the throttle response to even higher levels. I honestly don't think it will be necessary.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 01-23-16 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-23-16 | 08:13 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

In my car with the SARD tune I would get a CEL when I turned my Blitz throttle control on in any setting including Econo. I'm not saying that this tune will give the same result but it is a possibility.
IMHO the throttle controler is annoying and I never used it. My foot is fast enough that I never felt like I needed something to assist me in hitting the throttle quickly. Although, the throttle mapping in my tuned ECU felt much smoother and far more desirable it was still a bit annoying durning slow roll situations like parking lots, tight turns etc.

Last edited by RCB; 01-23-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-23-16 | 08:53 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCB
In my car with the SARD tune I would get a CEL when I turned my Blitz throttle control on in any setting including Econo. I'm not saying that this tune will give the same result but it is a possibility.
IMHO the throttle controler is annoying and I never used it. My foot is fast enough that I never felt like I needed something to assist me in hitting the throttle quickly. Although, the throttle mapping in my tuned ECU felt much smoother and far more desirable it was still a bit annoying durning slow roll situations like parking lots, tight turns etc.
Good to know...can you elaborate on how it was a bit annoying during slow roll situations?
Old 01-23-16 | 09:29 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Guys, Once you go with this tune you'll never want to go back to the stock tune again lol (for whatever reason). It'll be interesting down the road if guys trade in their F's, (again for whatever personal reason) will some of them trade the car in in a tuned state, or have Rafi flash it back to stock before trading the car in??

Just keeping this thread going Lol..................
Old 01-23-16 | 09:33 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
Rafi....because of YOU...I am now looking for another ISF. I had been looking at E63's and M5's. You have brought me back for the Dark Side. Thank you!!!
Hehehe, that's great!

This is definitely an awesome breakthrough for the IS-F.

-Mike
Old 01-23-16 | 09:42 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Good to know...can you elaborate on how it was a bit annoying during slow roll situations?
I'd assume linearity. When the same pedal movement translates to a larger throttle opening than stock, it becomes more difficult to dial in smooth throttle inputs. Honestly not sure why you would need the throttle remapped.

I'd rather see the shifting remapped when in manual mode. When you drop down several gears there's a distinct lag as the ECU figures out if you're going to mechanically overrev or not, then it executes the downshift. Irritating.
Old 01-23-16 | 09:48 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calteg
I'd assume linearity. When the same pedal movement translates to a larger throttle opening than stock, it becomes more difficult to dial in smooth throttle inputs. Honestly not sure why you would need the throttle remapped.
Well stock, the ISF seems to have a really lazy feeling throttle compared to every other cars I've driven. A couple of friends who drove my ISF even commented that it feels like you have to push the pedal more to get going especially in normal mode, I had an Apexi throttle controller and that fixed that issue greatly but it didn't feel as smooth and natural.

Here's hoping RR's slight throttle remap makes all the difference.
Old 01-23-16 | 09:49 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Sport mode will cure that
Old 01-23-16 | 10:00 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Well stock, the ISF seems to have a really lazy feeling throttle compared to every other cars I've driven. A couple of friends who drove my ISF even commented that it feels like you have to push the pedal more to get going especially in normal mode, I had an Apexi throttle controller and that fixed that issue greatly but it didn't feel as smooth and natural.

Here's hoping RR's slight throttle remap makes all the difference.
I'd argue that's more a consequence of our relatively small V8 making relatively little torque down low. The E92 M3, with an even smaller V8, suffers from the same symptoms. Our engine likes to breath, and all the magic happens after the secondaries open up. Personally I'd welcome another 500rpm, provided the valvetrain can take it.

If you want to band-aid it with a throttle remap, go ahead, it's your car. Or you can just hit the sport button.

edit: ISF4life beat me to it
Old 01-23-16 | 10:07 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

The throttle response was improved. It wasn't night and day, but I noticed the car to be more fun and mpg-dwindling
I have an Apexi throttle controller and no problem using it in any mode...does the same thing as it did before: makes it really hard not to slip the back end out when applying throttle on a turn.

More impressions on the tune (from post 206):
it's just fun! with the snow storm that's buried cars almost up to their side view mirrors, I haven't had a chance to play with the car much more.
I did have time to do some highway pulls--the torque increase is substantial and is so evidently felt. The car pulls so much harder in 6th or 7th on the highway. I never downshift to pass as it is, but now the pull is even sillier.
To answer a few questions...yes, my car is completely catless and O2 sims are not needed anymore with the tune.
Old 01-23-16 | 10:23 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

How HIGH is the redline now ? Did you see it when dyno ? cant wait to tuned my f

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!