CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 10:41 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Patience guys, I'm sure Rafi will chime in when he can.

Based on that picture he posted up on this thread, looks like they've had their hands full with the snow storm!

I'd still expect some gains on stock or mildly modified cars. It's the drivability and other parameters that would be most improved though.

Actual HP gains will be more like 20-30 I'd imagine? Just my opinion obviously, but I'm sure Rafi will tell us more when he can.
Old 01-25-16, 11:23 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

List (I know it's not a group buy list, just a list of people as eager to swipe their card as i am).
1. Isfpower
2. MileHIFcar
3. jjdurrant
4. Meanstreak
5. Rickna
6. Cmsal168
7. Evil Teo
8. CelicaGT4
9. Biggu
10. wmjeffreyw
11. Gymkata - don't leave me out
12. mikersoft
13. tas02 (lucky 13)
14. daevilg
15. Eddyisf
16. 21ce
Old 01-26-16, 05:32 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,385 Likes on 637 Posts

Update 1/26/16:

Ok, I know I promised to have the ordering info up by last night, but that is being pushed off until today!

I know how excited everyone is... but we really want to do this intro right, that is why we are offering a special pricing (the $100 CL discount code) and special terms.

The ordering info will be up today, but we ask that you all not send us the ECU until you receive an email from us. YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER, only when we confirm that you can ship us the ECU.

Right now, in the interest of full disclosure, we are 100% ready to flash customer ECU's, but we would like to iron out 2 issues by end of week:

(1) Rev limit increase -- there are some technical issues with this feature that we want to make sure we get 100% correct, so if this feature is a must have for you, please wait to order.

(2) We would like to finish the throttlebody tune this week. Based on testing over the past week, we see some definite promise with the TB, but the reality is that without some major re-mapping, upgraded TB is actually loosing power! I know a lot of you are gung-ho to order, but it would be pointless to get the tune now, and then upgrade to the TB tune 1-2 weeks from now! Boring out your TB is only $100, and can be done while you are waiting for us to flash your ECU.

So there you have it. We want everyone to know what's going on and I hope I am communicating clearly... if I am not, let me have it

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-26-16, 06:09 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks for the updates! I believe one of the last questions that remain unanswered is if this tune has any benefits to a stock/Intake/exhaust IS-F or not?

V.
Old 01-26-16, 06:10 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

so i can send you my tb and ecu? defiantly going to do that
Old 01-26-16, 06:15 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Update 1/26/16:

Ok, I know I promised to have the ordering info up by last night, but that is being pushed off until today!

I know how excited everyone is... but we really want to do this intro right, that is why we are offering a special pricing (the $100 CL discount code) and special terms.

The ordering info will be up today, but we ask that you all not send us the ECU until you receive an email from us. YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER, only when we confirm that you can ship us the ECU.

Right now, in the interest of full disclosure, we are 100% ready to flash customer ECU's, but we would like to iron out 2 issues by end of week:

(1) Rev limit increase -- there are some technical issues with this feature that we want to make sure we get 100% correct, so if this feature is a must have for you, please wait to order.

(2) We would like to finish the throttlebody tune this week. Based on testing over the past week, we see some definite promise with the TB, but the reality is that without some major re-mapping, upgraded TB is actually loosing power! I know a lot of you are gung-ho to order, but it would be pointless to get the tune now, and then upgrade to the TB tune 1-2 weeks from now! Boring out your TB is only $100, and can be done while you are waiting for us to flash your ECU.

So there you have it. We want everyone to know what's going on and I hope I am communicating clearly... if I am not, let me have it

-Rafi
a straight shooter....no BS or fluff.... I like this guy , I will be on that list to get a tune also
Old 01-26-16, 06:23 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rselby
a straight shooter....no BS or fluff.... I like this guy , I will be on that list to get a tune also
For real...
Old 01-26-16, 06:56 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about non US ECUs?

Middle east ECUs?
Old 01-26-16, 07:45 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

rev limit increase and extra power from throttle body upgrade is worth the extra 2 week wait IMO . thanks for the update.
Old 01-26-16, 09:24 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

me and another isf will go on the dyno tomorrow will post some videos and pictures . Before and after tuned
Old 01-26-16, 09:28 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
rev limit increase and extra power from throttle body upgrade is worth the extra 2 week wait IMO . thanks for the update.
Yup! worth the wait, Im pretty sure this is what every ISF owner's top priority has always been with a tune, to raise the rev limit.

Other tuners like TTRS and Vivid racing has successfully raised the rev limits with their tunes on the ISF, I'm sure it would be no problem for RR.
Old 01-26-16, 09:37 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
me and another isf will go on the dyno tomorrow will post some videos and pictures . Before and after tuned
Nice! You guys are just getting the baseline tomorrow I assume?
Old 01-26-16, 09:43 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

yup baseline tomorrow, i have sikky header and joez exhaust and intake, should be at least 400whp before tuned
Old 01-26-16, 09:49 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
Lack of interest and knowledge in the community. In a similar example look at gaming consoles. Specifically the PlayStation 3. Sony did a great job at locking down the console to prevent people from running unofficial software on it. It took hackers months and months to find a way to exploit the console, tricking it, into letting someone load a reverse engineered and modified software to allow unofficial software to be loaded and ran. How they did it was difficult but simple. Anything that talks to the processor had to have security hashes that would match up with the expected hash. Drawing from memory here... They had 3 keys. Private Key, Unique Key, and Random Number Key. Once they figured out what they were looking at they figured out someone got lazy and made what was supposed to be a randomly generated number key a hard number. The unique key is console specific and they found it quickly. With two of the 3 they were able to get the third by process of elimination. From there, now that they had access to read what was being sent to/from the processors on the board they figured out how to write to them. And a few months later people were running home made software and copy protected games on their consoles.

All electronics work in a similar manner honestly. If you can't get through the normal bus, in our case the OBDII port, you open up the ECU and start reverse engineering. Find the spec sheets for the various chips and determine what processors are what. All processors and chips have test ports/pins. JTAG, etc. It's how they verify that it was assembled correctly. Start listening in on those pins and with the expertise to decipher what's being said and replied back with you can find yourself with full access. Find a way to upload the OS, kernel, etc from the ROM(s), decrypt/decipher it and you now have the tools to tune it. Whether they have their own software now or found a way to build a map in a RomRaider type opensource tuning software is what I'm curious about. That's an abridged version, but that's the gist of how its done.

If I were a speculating man, I'm thinking that's how they did it. Rafi posted a swirled picture of them interfacing directly to the mainboard in the ECU. Developing their own tuning software would be too costly. They used test points on the ECU to get in and decrypted it for use in an opensource or another popular tuning software their tuner already had access to. Which makes me curious if they have the same ability as TIS to reflash via the OBDII port now... Or if they had to piggy back off of those test points to reflash. Regardless now that the deed is done they hold the "keys". Whether they keep those "keys" or find a profitable way to allow us to fully tune our own cars without having to send an ECU everytime is up to them...

Regardless, I'll be buying the tune.
I agree with most your points in regards to reverse engineering and I did not know that about the PS3. Working with PCBA's and SW, accessing test points is no big deal and is done everyday in engineering and contract manufacturers given then don't short anything. If they were to make a permanent fixture, a mechanical assembly with pogo pins and an interface board could have been done, which is something I recommend if they will be doing this process a few hundred times. Writing custom in-house software for RRRacing only to use is actually much cheaper than releasing something for the consumer, hence no DIY at this time, no interface cable and no SW for the consumer i.e. Ecutek and Cobb solutions.

From what I've seen in the community, there was a lot of people interested in a tune. IMO, this was a large engineering task and a lot of risks involved especially if the consequence was a bricked ECU during R&D. I also agree that they are using off-the-shelf SW to disassemble and analyze the binary and review and edit All the air/fuel maps/matrices. Exciting stuff for the community isn't it?
Old 01-26-16, 09:55 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't like the Rev limit to be raised if it doesn't actually produce any gains.

What would the throttle body upgrade involve?

Do you guys do the upgrade or would we need to go to another shop that does the work?

Will you need an after market intake after the upgrade?

Will the tune still work if you don't do the throttle body upgrade?

Last edited by jat0223; 01-26-16 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!