CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 04:03 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Rafi again is top of things.

I have to admit, I was a little envious when TTFS announced they can send out map updates you can flash at home or you can flash it back to stock if you need to bring it into the dealership.

It's great to hear we can do it with the RRR Flash also.

Definitely interested in upgrading to the OBD flash tool.
Old 02-15-16, 04:46 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
The OBD flash module does not allow you to tune your own car, just to upload maps you get from us.

Honesty guys, the best way is to send it to us. Certain OBD flashers are very reliable, like Cobb or Ecutek. Others are relatively reliable, like the one we will offer. BUT, there is always a chance of bricking your ECU, and if you search the web, you will find many stories of bricked ECU's. Bricked ECU's would have to be sent to us for recovery, which is usually possible.

When we flash your ECU, we clone it first, and save all the original data, and we do not flash your ECU through an OBD module, we do it with very advanced hardware, backup power supply, and there is no risk.

Rafi
I'm going to put my 2 cents on this topic. I have a 2015 Subaru Forester XT that I got ProTuned via Cobb Accessport. My ECU actually got bricked by the ProTuner during the final flash while it was getting tuned. Then I had to send the ECU into to Cobb directly to get recovered. Then my ECU got bricked again when I was flashing it myself between maps because there wasn't enough power. I called up Cobb and they told me that I have to have a full strength battery charger hooked up to the battery at all times while flashing given the high wattage demand the ECU flashing requires. Basically what I'm saying is that Raffi is right, flashing the ECU via the OBD port is much more hassle than it's worth in my opinion. That being said, it'll still be a nice option to have for those who would like to do it themselves and save on shipping costs of having to mail the ECU in all the time.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-16-16 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Quoted post edit
Old 02-15-16, 05:14 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

When I worked for Volvo, and I'm sure any modern day vehicle, it was CRITICAL to have a steady power supply via a monitored battery tender while doing software updates. Loss of power was usually what dicked up a module flash. They aren't cheap either and I don't know if I would trust an autozone **** battery tender lol.
Old 02-15-16, 06:04 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

Personally, I'd rather have 100% assurance that the flash is done correctly. The risk of bricking justifies the inconvenience. In Rafi I trust!
Old 02-15-16, 07:25 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I'm going to put my 2 cents on this topic. I have a 2015 Subaru Forester XT that I got ProTuned via Cobb Accessport. My ECU actually got bricked by the ProTuner during the final flash while it was getting tuned. Then I had to send the ECU into to Cobb directly to get recovered. Then my ECU got bricked again when I was flashing it myself between maps because there wasn't enough power. I called up Cobb and they told me that I have to have a full strength battery charger hooked up to the battery at all times while flashing given the high wattage demand the ECU flashing requires. Basically what I'm saying is that Raffi is right, flashing the ECU via the OBD port is much more hassle than it's worth in my opinion. That being said, it'll still be a nice option to have for those who would like to do it themselves and save on shipping costs of having to mail the ECU in all the time.
Thank you for sharing that experience. There are many similar experiences on the net... but keep in mind, Cobb is the best and most reliable OBD device, and there is still the possibility of problems.

Originally Posted by Rickna
Personally, I'd rather have 100% assurance that the flash is done correctly. The risk of bricking justifies the inconvenience. In Rafi I trust!

Thank you! When we flash ECU's directly to the board without OBD, we can be absolutley sure of the outcome, 100% of the time. Pure and simple, this is the most reliable way of doing it, period.

We will offer the OBD user flash option only because another tuner is offering it and some folks want it, not because we think its the best way to go.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-16-16 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Check pm
Old 02-15-16, 10:38 PM
golfaddict
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rafi,

Earlier in this thread did you mention that you were pursuing the possibility that further tuning would maybe lead to more gains on PPE (or Sikky) headered vehicles? If this is true, is the effort still going and would it be advisable to wait to order the tune?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-16, 11:45 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Look at it another way, I'm all the way out across the Atlantic in the UK. Flashing the ECU myself would probably be a lot easier than shipping it over to Rafi and his team, but I want the peace of mind that it will be done right.

Sounds like anyone doing it themselves may well end up sending their ECU in if they brick it anyway!

It's not as if you should be chopping and changing your tune all the time either?! Unless you alter things significantly, or Rafi comes up with some changes from all the track testing data, the flash shouldn't need to change.

Only reason I'm holding off on pulling the trigger on getting mine done is I want to add headers first. That way the S/C kit is the only other change in the pipeline that should need a reflash.

I'm sure with the quick turnaround offered the peace of mind will win over most people.

Keep up the great work Rafi.
Old 02-16-16, 03:13 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the OBD2 option since I want to run E85 and if I have to I can switch back to 93oct easy
Old 02-16-16, 04:07 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Originally Posted by juanmedina
I like the OBD2 option since I want to run E85 and if I have to I can switch back to 93oct easy

Hi Juan, you will not be able to switch easy... you will have to reflash the ECU everytime you want to swtich. This is not like an Accessport for a Subaru where you can do easy map switching.

Rafi

Old 02-16-16, 04:13 AM
SPearson79
Driver School Candidate

for e85 to gas - the tank has to be drained - I'm not sure the gains are going to be what you are expecting running ethanol. It'll make more, but not like on a turbo car.
Old 02-16-16, 04:24 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Originally Posted by SPearson79
for e85 to gas - the tank has to be drained - I'm not sure the gains are going to be what you are expecting running ethanol. It'll make more, but not like on a turbo car.
Good point, you can't install a flex fuel sensor and integrate it into this ECU.

Rafi

Old 02-16-16, 05:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Let me know what you guys think. Would you rather pay $795 and have an OBD module to flash your car with future updates without sending in your ECU, or would you rather pay less ($650) and send in your ECU?
I'd rather your shop do it for the cheaper price, especially since I don't anticipate that I'll be reflashing too often. Also, I'm on the east coast a few hours away and shipping is very quick and cheap. I want to say your shop received my ECU in the AM and had it ready to ship by the PM.
Old 02-16-16, 05:38 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPearson79
Have you seen what the new gt350 gained on E85 from a 93oct? The gains were significant, 23.5hp and 22tq

I would only need to change maps about once a year....
Old 02-16-16, 05:45 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

The OBD option is a good for people that cant afford too much down time. I'll admit that I would love to do this myself, but I dont trust myself lol
Old 02-16-16, 07:56 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

2/16/2016 Update on the OBD self-flashing option:

(1) Everyone who has already purchased a tune from us, or plans to purchase a tune from us will have the option of purchasing the OBD option at low cost. No worries!

(2) We expect to release the OBD option in 2 weeks.

(3) Those who have sent us their ECU, or plan to send us their ECU in the next 2 weeks WILL NOT HAVE TO RE-SEND us the ECU, after purchasing the OBD option.

I hope that all makes sense and I am being clear!

Rafi

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!