CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New CL Vendor Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 05:57 PM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS

Good day my fellow ISF owners. Most of you know me as ZaxF, but I'll be hanging around as our new Vendor account most days. Some of you may know that last year myself and Quick350 acquired possibly the last of the clublexus/drc motorsports racecars, along with all the molds to build two different race cars. Along with those came a carbon fiber mold for the roof. We ran off the first part about 6 months ago and moved our focus to the RCF hood, which we have recently launched. We will begin production on this roof in the next few weeks and wanted to give you guys a sneak peak.

The pictures below (some are stock photos) show the racecar and the additional molds as well as the carbon fiber roof. We also have the ability to build the louvered hood, and offer the louvers independently as well.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo739.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo825.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo698.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo108.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo168.jpg  

Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo376.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo453.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo693.jpg   Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS-photo518.jpg  
Old 05-31-17, 06:06 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Awesome! Good for you guys. Since I have access to a Faro Edge I was actually going to scan my roof in order to supply a polygonal model for whoever felt like taking on such a project. But better yet you guys already have a mold haha!

Source a new headliner and we got ourselves a sunroof delete!
Old 05-31-17, 06:36 PM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

Thank you!! Personally I'll keep my sunroof slider headliner so I can look at that glorious carbon fiber! But a stock headliner should do the trick-direct order from lexus and you're in business.
Old 05-31-17, 07:58 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Very nice JL!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-01-17, 02:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

What happened with the real splitter you guys have on your Facebook page? A real splitter in CF for the IS F would be amazing. I have yet to see anything from the aftermarket lip choices looking like it creates any downforce.
Old 06-01-17, 02:17 PM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

I wasn't happy with the mounting points based on the size of the splitter. It's on the drawing board, just working out whether we want to use a bolt on T design that spans back to the transmission or go with something mounted to the front frame horns, which would be ideal. I just haven't had the time to tear off the front end to take measurements and do some design work. The prototype is just sitting in my garage waiting on me.

Last edited by JL Composites; 06-01-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 11:30 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice!!

Guessing there would be quite a bit of work involved getting this installed?

What's the weight saving over the OEM roof? I'm lucky enough to have a sunroof free example already ( most U.K. versions are), but I've been eyeing up a carbon roof for a while now.

Will be watching you guys for sure. Sounds like some cool products in the pipeline.

Cheers.

Pete

Last edited by PDP180180; 06-02-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 06:05 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Do a google search on IND, they install carbon roofs on M cars all the time. It looks more difficult than it is. Any body shop should be able to do it no problem.
Old 06-02-17, 06:12 AM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Nice!!

Guessing there would be quite a bit of work involved getting this installed?

What's the weight saving over the OEM roof? I'm lucky enough to have a sunroof free example already ( most U.K. versions are), but I've been eyeing up a carbon roof for a while now.

Will be watching you guys for sure. Sounds like some cool products in the pipeline. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Pete
Thanks Pete! We're excited to be offering some custom goodies for the platform! See below for some more answers.

Originally Posted by FFM
Do a google search on IND, they install carbon roofs on M cars all the time. It looks more difficult than it is. Any body shop should be able to do it no problem.
Yep you nailed it. The biggest difference between the 2IS and M cars is the cross member at the B pillar. When a CF roof goes on the BMW they have to add in that support beam. The 2IS already has one, so it's as 'simple' as reskinning the roof much like a body shop would do after significant hail damage. Instead of spot welding the new panel it is adhered to the vehicle using epoxy. Our roof uses a honeycomb core, that adds structural integrity without adding any weight. The final roof weighs in at 8.5lbs, reducing overhead weight of a car with a sunroof by almost 100lbs (accounting for the panel, glass, and mechanical components).

My goal is to have the first roof on my F before the end of the summer, I just need to schedule the down time with our shop.

Last edited by JL Composites; 06-02-17 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 08:46 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, what is the projected price for the roof and how much should be expected to spend at the body shop. Definitely interested.
Old 06-02-17, 10:07 AM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rossi
Well, what is the projected price for the roof and how much should be expected to spend at the body shop. Definitely interested.
The local shop I'm using is cutting us a pretty good deal to be the preferred shop for our area. I would call around and ask for a quote at a few different shops. I talked to some shops that charged 200% more than others for the same work. You'll have to be specific about what you want done, because using epoxy vs spot welding, and not needing to paint the panel will reduce labor expense. We're working on the cost of the roof and want it to be reasonable because we know the installation is an added expense.

Also, you can reduce a ton of cost if you drop your own headliner and unbolt the sunroof and components ahead of time. That's an easy 4 hours at $100/hr of labor.
Old 06-02-17, 03:26 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I might have to jump all over that CF roof. I've wanted one since the day I bought my '08 new.
Old 06-02-17, 03:38 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh man, me too.
Old 06-04-17, 08:58 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Perfect for the hardtop owners
Old 06-05-17, 12:09 PM
JL Composites
Former Sponsor

Seems like a healthy amount of interest in the roof. While I'm at the shop this week I'll start working on some costs and maybe we can get a group buy going!

Quick Reply: New CL Vendor Carbon Fiber Roof for 2IS