CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing Road&Track Coilovers -- Special

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 08:47 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Rafi - can you comment on the changes/differences between the V2 vs V1 road & track coilovers? Some changes are obvious (from Afco to Silvers, and a lower price point), but wanted to hear from you what else has changed (valving, etc.) to drive the lower price point. Is it simply the cost of the shock, or did you change anything else? Is the V2 version the same performance wise as V1, or has that changed?
Funny you bumped this. I looked for shocks about a year ago and was very happy to see what RR was offering. The Penske 7500DA's are FANTASTIC shocks, and AFCO makes really well regarded shocks as well. I don't track this car, so I was actually leaning towards the AFCO's. I saw they switched from the AFCO's so I searched here for an explanation. I'm pretty disappointed to see the switch to Silvers (a brand myself and none of my track buddies with all our expensive shocks know of... They seem like a tuner brand?). Also it seems like the cheaper package also lost RR's custom spherical bearing top mounts in the rear?

I'd like to hear from RR as well, but it seems like now I'd be choosing from their Penske setup, or going with MCS or the Ohlins offered by Figs.

Old 06-18-20, 08:56 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BrennanH
Funny you bumped this. I looked for shocks about a year ago and was very happy to see what RR was offering. The Penske 7500DA's are FANTASTIC shocks, and AFCO makes really well regarded shocks as well. I don't track this car, so I was actually leaning towards the AFCO's. I saw they switched from the AFCO's so I searched here for an explanation. I'm pretty disappointed to see the switch to Silvers (a brand myself and none of my track buddies with all our expensive shocks know of... They seem like a tuner brand?). Also it seems like the cheaper package also lost RR's custom spherical bearing top mounts in the rear?

I'd like to hear from RR as well, but it seems like now I'd be choosing from their Penske setup, or going with MCS or the Ohlins offered by Figs.
Yeah I noticed the missing spherical bearing top mounts too, and also looks like there's no helper springs (in the pictures), although it's mentioned in the description.

If you're not tracking the car I'm sure the V2's would do the job, and now at a much better price point. The missing spherical bearing top mounts might actually be better for DD anyways. I do remember reading on other threads about RR getting complaints from customers about increased noise from the spherical top mounts which I'm sure drove this design change.
Old 06-18-20, 02:08 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I noticed the missing spherical bearing top mounts too, and also looks like there's no helper springs (in the pictures), although it's mentioned in the description.

If you're not tracking the car I'm sure the V2's would do the job, and now at a much better price point. The missing spherical bearing top mounts might actually be better for DD anyways. I do remember reading on other threads about RR getting complaints from customers about increased noise from the spherical top mounts which I'm sure drove this design change.
However (obviously this is just my opinion) but by that line of thinking stock suspension "does the job"... I mean they are valved fairly well for the vehicle. Theres a bunch of people running around with BC Racings c/o's or the like that will tell you how great they "do the job" as well. You wouldn't find them on my car. Regarding the top mount bearings: IMO Lexus owners should know what they are getting into with a spherical top mount and increased noise, and if thats not a compromise they can live with for the performance benefit, they should be looking other places. Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too.

I have to reiterate - the move from a well known and respected supplier of shocks with a history in racing to a no-name brand is not something I see as a positive.

Old 06-19-20, 12:30 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

The reduced price will reflect the reduced quality of parts. It may be that they will offer both the V1 and 2. I can’t speak for them, but making a more budget oriented shock will probably be great for some customers. I’m in the camp of “you get what you pay for.”
Old 06-20-20, 09:26 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The reduced price will reflect the reduced quality of parts. It may be that they will offer both the V1 and 2. I can’t speak for them, but making a more budget oriented shock will probably be great for some customers. I’m in the camp of “you get what you pay for.”
V1 is no longer offered, I already asked.
Old 06-20-20, 09:55 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-25-20, 07:12 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I've had the v1 for a few years. My experience is pretty common to others. The spherical mounts do create noise but I knew that before purchasing them.and was fine with it. While they are road and track they are certainly more track oriented which is why i bought them and have been very pleased with their track performance. Considering most buyers only use them on street, it makes sense to create a v2 that is a little more street oriented and priced in line with similar setups.
Old 06-27-20, 09:31 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Bumping to see if RR will respond. It would be nice to hear their reasoning and talk about their new shock supplier.
​​​​
Old 07-01-20, 10:06 PM
tayf
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I emailed RR Racing asking about the differences between V1 and V2 and this was what they said:

Hi,

The V2s are steel vs aluminum body mono tube coil overs so they are a bit heavier. They also have bushings rather than spherical bearing pivots, so they are quiet, and they cost less.
Old 07-10-20, 03:01 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tayf
I emailed RR Racing asking about the differences between V1 and V2 and this was what they said:
Thanks - guess it's more of a cost/for-the-masses play