Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

** They're here!! Newly Released CarsonTuned Strut Tower Bar for the GS!! **

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 10:42 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
I picked one up today.. Guys this STB is top notch quality.. Fits perfect and loook fantastic!! So glad i live in So. CA only 20 mins drive.. NO waiting time for shipping Priceless
Forget you dude . I'm checking the tracking on my delivery now . Nice pics, the aluminum really looks good and sets off your car (paint). How does it feel?
Old 10-30-05, 04:39 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Car feels so much better and handles better. I went with aluminum b/c i have nothing chrome on my car, plus i like the way aluminum matches my machine finish wheels and polish lips.
Old 10-30-05, 05:49 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Dido...that's the same reason why I ordered the aluminum one too.
Old 10-31-05, 10:11 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tommy (Lexus GS3)
Did you leave the black ring/spacer on when you installed this? In the pics on the Carson Toyota site it looks like they took them off, but they don't fit flush that way.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 10-31-05, 10:21 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Here are some pictures.. Sorry i'm including the link to the pictures, cuz i dont know how to upload them in this page. MODERATOR please help me make pics visible on this page.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...nedSTB_001.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...nedSTB_002.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...nedSTB_003.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...nedSTB_004.jpg

Pictures shows how the STB fits on my '02 GS300 with the engine cover in place

Tommy

What about the strut bar you bought like 2 months ago?
Old 10-31-05, 10:25 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Guys,

I just went out to detail my engine compartment and found something a little strange.

I installed the strut tower bar on Saturday, with the spacer in, torqued them to the correct Ft Lbs and test drove it. I then retorqued everything. I did a little bit of aggresive manuvering later that day and everything seemed fine.

I now noticed that the bar had slipped on the right side almost 1/4 inch from the original intall position. This leads me to believe that the spacer needs to be removed, but the hole that is machined into the bracket will not fit over the rolled lip in the engine compartment. I will email one of the guys at Carson, but has anyone else had any issues?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 10-31-05, 02:33 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i got an email from carson saying that the price was changed to 199 even though i ordered and the price was 185...does anyone know about this?
Old 10-31-05, 07:22 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joel5150
Guys,

I just went out to detail my engine compartment and found something a little strange.

I installed the strut tower bar on Saturday, with the spacer in, torqued them to the correct Ft Lbs and test drove it. I then retorqued everything. I did a little bit of aggresive manuvering later that day and everything seemed fine.

I now noticed that the bar had slipped on the right side almost 1/4 inch from the original intall position. This leads me to believe that the spacer needs to be removed, but the hole that is machined into the bracket will not fit over the rolled lip in the engine compartment. I will email one of the guys at Carson, but has anyone else had any issues?

Thanks,

Joel
Joel: that is why i left the black ring (spacers) because the hole that is machined into the bracket will not fit over the rolled lip in the engine compartment. Did you figure out a way to solve this? I havent driven my car that hard yet to cause my STB to move out of position from the original install position like it did to you... Please keep me updated.. I wonder if the chrome bar has the same problem or not... Joel please post pictures!!

Tommy
Old 10-31-05, 08:53 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joel5150
Guys,

Thanks,

Joel
Hey, what was the correct number or amount that you torqued down the strut tower bar? Please let me know, because I'm going to install them when mine come in and I want to torque them down properly. I will be doing some very aggressive driving this Saturday, so let me know, thanks.
Old 11-01-05, 09:23 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know the OEM torque recommendations is very low.....something like 40 ft/lbs. (correct me if Im wrong guys). I tried 40 ft/lbs. with my RMM (with 3 spacers on each side to clear engine cover) and DSR (no spacers) stbs...and it was way too loose. I eventually settle for 65-70 ft/lbs....no problems with movement....stiff as heck.

I think you just need to torque it more.

Btw....the style of the tubing and mounts are similar to the Carbing stbs.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails ** They're here!! Newly Released CarsonTuned Strut Tower Bar for the GS!! **-dsc04580.jpg  

Last edited by PHML; 11-01-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 10:28 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Default Fitment issues

Lexizm - The torque rate for the upper shock bolts is 41 Ftlbs. I believe the bolts are rated at up to 80 Ftlbs buy the look of them, ie. size, hole diameter, threads per inch.

I went out to Carson this morning after speaking via email to Steve. I brought in my old CTASTB (CarsonTuned Aluminum Strut Tower Bar). Luis gave me the last one they had on hand and we went out and test fit it to the car. Again, with the black spacer rings off, the hole did not fit over the lip of the shock tower. I am working with Carson on this, and Steve will be back soon, so I am sure we will have a resolution soon.

Joel
Old 11-01-05, 02:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
I know the OEM torque recommendations is very low.....something like 40 ft/lbs. (correct me if Im wrong guys). I tried 40 ft/lbs. with my RMM (with 3 spacers on each side to clear engine cover) and DSR (no spacers) stbs...and it was way too loose. I eventually settle for 65-70 ft/lbs....no problems with movement....stiff as heck.

I think you just need to torque it more.

Btw....the style of the tubing and mounts are similar to the Carbing stbs.

Pete
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185361

well, that's coz' the bars are indeed made by carbing

regarding the fitment. sometimes they don't fit and you need to jack up the car from the middle to flex it out so it fits. common problem, a lot of people with the trd bars had to do it
Old 11-01-05, 03:28 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185361

well, that's coz' the bars are indeed made by carbing

regarding the fitment. sometimes they don't fit and you need to jack up the car from the middle to flex it out so it fits. common problem, a lot of people with the trd bars had to do it
Thanks for the torque numbers. I have a question though...since a lot of people had that problem with the TRD bars (mine didn't fit either), do you think I will have the same problem with the Carson Tune??
Old 11-01-05, 05:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, depends on what you mean by not fit? a lot of people they couldn't fit their bars on as is too. but just by jacking up the car in the middle and flex out the car, they could easily install it. personally of all the people i know they all could fit their bars on.

thats why i suggest jacking up the car in the middle
Old 11-01-05, 05:38 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Most 1 piece Bars needs you to jack up the car to install anyways to release the tension on the studs.

Quick Reply: ** They're here!! Newly Released CarsonTuned Strut Tower Bar for the GS!! **