Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

** They're here!! Newly Released CarsonTuned Strut Tower Bar for the GS!! **

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 06:48 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185361

well, that's coz' the bars are indeed made by carbing

regarding the fitment. sometimes they don't fit and you need to jack up the car from the middle to flex it out so it fits. common problem, a lot of people with the trd bars had to do it
WOW...I really missed that thread...thanks for the 411.

Pete
Old 11-01-05, 07:25 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for the info. Checked the UPS tracking and the STB is scheduld to arrive tomorrow. I'll install it then.
Old 11-01-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
WOW...I really missed that thread...thanks for the 411.

Pete
actualy you helped me with my question too pete when i first saw that thread i was wondering what the word "means" never thought it's the company name
Old 11-02-05, 12:17 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default need some advice

Hi All !

I also ordered the STB. My question is : do we or don't we remove the spacers before installation? Will keeping the spacers on defeat the purpose of the STB?

thanks in advance
Old 11-02-05, 12:52 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitment

Please see my post in the GS section on this issue.

At least two people have had fitment issues with the CarsonTuned Strut bar.

The spacer should be removed when installing this, the issue is the size of the hole on the strut bar fitting over the raised lip of the shock tower. The hole is not big enough to accomodate the lip
Old 11-03-05, 04:48 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

steve,

i sent you a pm umm i would like to add....if there are fitment issues...would it be cool if i use that money toward some tom's braces? let me know. there are many others things i will be purchasing from carson toyota!
Old 11-03-05, 04:07 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Default Stb

Hey guys,

Just wanted to follow up with some more details. We are currently putting a hold on any more sales on the bars untill we get some solid info from our supplier in Japan. We are waiting to see if it was a bad batch that was just machined to the wrong size, or if it was made to work with the spacer. As LEXOGOOD stated, his was on for weeks with no problems with the spacer on. If it comes back as machined wrong, we will bring them back, get knew ones in, and ship 'em out. Just waiting for a response from our supplier now.
Old 11-03-05, 04:37 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got mine today and installed it....but the back thing ( i assume the spacer everyone is talking about) didnt quite sit right.....so am i supposed to take it off? the car did handle a bit better, would be even better if my car was dropped.
Old 11-03-05, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
i just got mine today and installed it....but the back thing ( i assume the spacer everyone is talking about) didnt quite sit right.....so am i supposed to take it off? the car did handle a bit better, would be even better if my car was dropped.
for safety i do think you should take it off for now. carson is going to take care of it for sure
Old 11-03-05, 11:49 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think keeping the spacer on will solve the problem.....and that it was designed with the idea of keeping the spacer. Ken tested it with spacers and its fine on his ride.

Maybe the diameter of the hole of the stb mount is coincidentally the same as the hole in the shock body.....that it wasn't designed to just fit over it....to eliminate the stb from shifting under hard turns. If the stb shifts...it means the stb nuts needs to be torqued higher...40 ft/lbs is way too loose imo.

I also agree that mounting the stb directly to the body without the spacer is more sensible....but spacers does not make it grossly less rigid....maybe very very minimal if at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete
Old 11-04-05, 12:02 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
I think keeping the spacer on will solve the problem.....and that it was designed with the idea of keeping the spacer. Ken tested it with spacers and its fine on his ride.

Maybe the diameter of the hole of the stb mount is coincidentally the same as the hole in the shock body.....that it wasn't designed to just fit over it....to eliminate the stb from shifting under hard turns. If the stb shifts...it means the stb nuts needs to be torqued higher...40 ft/lbs is way too loose imo.

I also agree that mounting the stb directly to the body without the spacer is more sensible....but spacers does not make it grossly less rigid....maybe very very minimal if at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

Pete, I have to agree. I've had the UGO STB bolted on with the spacer, the RMM bolted on with the spacer, and now the Carson Tuned with the spacer. It never really occured to me that it would make that much of a difference with the spacer either on or off as long as the bolts were torqued down to prevent slippage. I also agree that the 40 ft/lbs. seems on the light side.

I've already talked to Steve and the guys in Japan are looking into it as we speak. .
Old 11-04-05, 12:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, from a strict performance point of view, not having spacer is probably the right way to do. just like when you add braces, you shouldn't put on spacers for clearance. after all it's more parts for "movement". but for everyday driving i think it should be fine though

but much props to steve and carson for stepping up!
Old 11-04-05, 02:49 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you really think it is safer to just take it off? i didnt torque the bolts at 40 lbs.....i tightened it has much as i could with the rachet....i would guess it is something closer to 70 or 80 lbs...has anyone been able to get the stb on with the spacer on? should i just try jacking up one side of the car? thanks
Old 11-04-05, 03:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
has anyone been able to get the stb on with the spacer on? should i just try jacking up one side of the car? thanks
I thought with spacer, it is fine.

Jacking up will only help if you cannot get the STB all the way down onto the strut bolts. The issue with the opening size is independent. I've had my UGO on with the spacer with no issues. I used to have it off but when I had the Flex, I needed a little more clearance for the EDFC. I suppose I can take it off now that I have the CS. I just never got around to it. Not a big deal if it is torqued enough.
Old 11-04-05, 05:33 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Hey guys,

This afternoon we had the pleasure of meeting with the head designer of our GS strut bars. He was flying from SEMA back to his famous factory in Japan and flew to L.A. to meet with us first. Now thats what I call a vendor who cares about his customers and product.

Fitment improvements will be made and we will be getting a new bar from them to test fit. After that we will start to replace all the bars that have already been sold with new ones. So if you already bought a bar, just continue to use it. When we have the new bars in we will notify everyone to start the process of replacing them.

Also as a side note, look foward to more products being developed exclusively for Carson Toyota. We will post more details on those products as they become available.

Quick Reply: ** They're here!! Newly Released CarsonTuned Strut Tower Bar for the GS!! **