Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

** Genuine Toyota 90915-20004 Oil filters are in Stock!! **

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 05:42 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jvillagran... good info. Further searching seems to indicate that this filter cannot be used on the RX300, so I guess my GS will be the only Lexus to get the special filter treatment.
Old 08-03-06, 06:19 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jvillagran
The top of the filter(GUTS) will come sealed from the factory,so as long as you don't submerge them in water you will be fine.
Oh yeah this is my second case
I don't know if any one remembers that this filter is very similar to the TRD Japan(red) oil filter and it's half the price.
Old 08-08-06, 01:45 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Just curious, what filter was used on the engines that had the oil sludge problem? Could there be a reason this filter is no longer used?
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-08-06, 01:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
Just curious, what filter was used on the engines that had the oil sludge problem? Could there be a reason this filter is no longer used?
Thanks
Mike

Different filter (see response above about RX300 which should have same one) and not at all related.

The reason that this filter is no longer used (my understanding) is that it costs more to make than the current one... Basically over engineered and didn't provide a good profit margin This is the filter you want and can no longer find in the US.

Thank you to Steve and Carson for tracking them down and bringing them tous.
Old 08-08-06, 02:20 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Different filter (see response above about RX300 which should have same one) and not at all related.

The reason that this filter is no longer used (my understanding) is that it costs more to make than the current one... Basically over engineered and didn't provide a good profit margin This is the filter you want and can no longer find in the US.

Thank you to Steve and Carson for tracking them down and bringing them tous.
Thanks Dave,
I noticed this site shows it fits the GS430 up to 2005. So it does not fit the GS430 2006?
Mike
Old 08-08-06, 02:35 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OLP
Well they arent' the same price. $13 MSRP against $5.41 is kinda crazy to say they aren't making anything.

Also, what's so great about this filter?

I mean Mobil 1 and K&N and considered top dogs. I can get the Mobil 1's for roughly $8 on sale which is a 30% savings over this one.

I don't see why paying $11 per filter at a "discount" is any bargain
Take a moment and read the ENTIRE thread and follow each individual link. There is a quite a bit of information throughout this thread that will help anyone understand why this filter might be a "better" choice over other filters available in the market.

Cliff notes: 90915-20004 has a superior filtering media

Last edited by OG Member; 08-08-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 06:57 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OLP
Why won't it fit the RX300? I've used the same filter # for the ES/IS as my RX.

Just curious??
This filter is just a wee bit longer than the RX300 filter. Might not make it thru the clearances. If you can get it down where it belongs, it will probably be OK, i.e. it will screw on and work fine.
Old 08-08-06, 07:14 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by OLP
Well they arent' the same price. $13 MSRP against $5.41 is kinda crazy to say they aren't making anything.

I mean Mobil 1 and K&N and considered top dogs. I can get the Mobil 1's for roughly $8 on sale which is a 30% savings over this one.

This Toyota/Denso filter is different from every other filter in existence. Most of the others, including Mobil1 & K&N, are all the same basic construction - the Mobil1 and K&N have synthetic media and beefier anti-drainback valves. This one is not. the same construction at all. The filter media is much thicker. The internal framing of the media is completely different. It looks like it was built by aliens with technical prowess. The external can is not much different (the Mobil1 & K&N both have thicker metal outer cans). But there is no other filter that is made like this one, unless some of the filters Denso makes for Nissan have the same constuction.
I began buying both K&N & Mobil1 recently, when these filters went away, because I just couldn't bring myself to put the average crap filter in my GS. But I just bought a case of these babies again, because, well..., I just hadta.
Having said all that, I don't think anyone has provided any real concrete proof that these filters actually do a better job than K&N or Mobil1, etc. Except for what is on Bobistheoilguy.com, I think most of the filter hype is a bunch of hooey. That's why when one comes along with a very different construction, it might actually mean something. And it's really cool having the rubber seal pre-greased.

Jerry
Old 08-08-06, 07:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been following this thread with interest. I've read the entire thread and the article, and I've looked at the pictures. I don't change my own oil, but my Lexus dealer will let me bring in my own parts. I understand that the primary difference between the two filters is that the imported one has better filtering material, but does that mean that the non-imported filter has bad filtering material? When we go to the pool, we put SPF 30 sunscreen on the kids. Sure, we could use SPF 45, but every study I've read says that SPF 30 blocks all of the harmful rays and anything above 30 is overkill. So, my question is simply "Is the imported filter overkill?"

e
Old 08-08-06, 07:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Great point e, but I think at $20 it would be overkill. Oil being one of the MOST important things you can do for your car, maintenance-wise, there is no overkill for me. If I could find the one filter that kept the oil immaculate, and it was around the same price as the stock one, I'd use it.
Old 08-08-06, 08:30 PM
jvillagran
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has my order shipped yet?
Old 08-08-06, 08:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OLP

Sorry to be blunt, but if you like something else better for less money then buy it and don't clog up our supporting vendors group buy thread chatting about it.

I don't fill up my Lexus with 91 octane when I can get 93 down the road even though it costs a bit more. I don't by cheap air filters for it, I don't buy brand X peformance tires for it. I use synthetic oil instead of perfectly good dino even though I get it changed 3,000 miles or less. Will it run on all those things? Absolutely. Will it run as long as it does on the better stuff I pay more for? Probably so.

Am I going to buy some of these filters and use them instead of aftermarket or cheaper OEM alternatives? Yes.

Make your own decision based on your own criteria. I don't work for Carson, I don't even get paid for what I do here on CL. I've done my research and know these are worth spending my money on them.
Old 08-08-06, 11:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OLP

if you had done any research on oil filters you would know about the 20004. the flow rate and particulate filtration of this OEM filter outperform just about every off-the-shelf filter you can name (mobil1, K&N (which are pure POS) and etc.)

Then theres the fact that this filter is no longer sold in the US (via a dealer at least) and if u want one, you have to special order it via a lexus/toyota dealer from japan, which, once including shipping, wouldn't be cheap.

So Carson Toyota is doing a favor to those who want the best and it is $11 for something you change maybe 4-5 times a year that will save you THOUSANDS on engine replacement.

Also, by using a Toyota filter, if something ever goes wrong, you one of the (soon to be the) worlds largest and (currently and forever) most competent car company in the world to back you up.
Old 08-11-06, 11:38 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out guys, interesting...it's a discussion about the Toyota 90915-20004 oil filter vs the Mobil 1 equivalent (M1-102 I believe):

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=6;t=001533
Old 01-30-08, 05:36 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pmed you Steve, I need some more of these.....

Quick Reply: ** Genuine Toyota 90915-20004 Oil filters are in Stock!! **