Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

IS250/350 HID conversion kits - waterproof and shockproof! :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 05:20 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kits have a dedicated power wire that goes directly from the battery to the ballast and the power is throttled by a relay wired inline. This relay is triggered by the OEM fog light plug.

Wire extensions may be needed and will be provided so the wiring will each all the way down to the fog light housings.

To install the kit there are 5 connection points:

1) power to the battery
2) ground to the battery
3) OEM fog light or headlight plug (depending on what kind of kit you're installing)
4) left ballast and of course the ballast to the bulb.
5) right ballast and naturally, the ballast to the bulb.

Done!

c.
Old 02-21-08, 06:17 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How crazily bright are the HID Fogs? I.e. Are cops gonna come visit me more while I'm driving?

Also, should I get matching Fogs? 6000k low beams and 6000k fogs?
Old 02-21-08, 06:24 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

the hid fogs are pretty bright...

Old 02-21-08, 06:30 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Seems like a bad idea for me cuz I always drive with my fogs on. Then again, I could always buy first, if they're too bright to drive with them on all the time, just turn it off...
Old 02-21-08, 10:00 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

how slim are the ballasts?
Old 02-22-08, 08:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice price and nice warranty.
Old 02-22-08, 09:19 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

wolverine -the ballasts are average in size, not slim at all since the slim styles that were tested performed poorly.

joeb- thanks.

c.
Old 02-22-08, 09:34 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

any chance you'll be able to throw in D4S bulb in the sales? I bought a pair of 8k bulb on ebay and the output came out pink. Is it because of the projectors or the bulb's just sucky?
Old 02-22-08, 09:38 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

I do have some d4s bulbs sitting around but from my testing, I don't know if they'll actually be as bright as they should be and until i'm absolutely certain, I've held off selling them.

Thanks!

c.
Old 02-23-08, 12:05 AM
kidsupreme
Driver School Candidate

Default hey cliff!!!

Sorry cliff im new to this...
so I have a 06 is350 without OEM HID, and really want HIDs
1.to get the stadium efect i will need to buy to kits?
2.i have yellow fog lights,can I still use the kit?
3.how easy is it to install the kit?
thanks for your help..
Old 02-23-08, 01:50 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

no worries kidsupreme.

1) You will need an H11 kit and a 9006 kit.
2) If the yellow fog lights are yellow due to a film applied onto the lens, yes. If you want a yellow HID kit, then a yellow 9006 kit can be supplied.
3) Installation is relatively easy. I sat in on an 2IS HID installation last year and the installation was done in a parking lot and took maybe a couple of hours because we were all being very careful.

BTW - welcome to CL.
Old 02-23-08, 02:45 AM
Extreme437
Pole Position

$160 shipped for a 3000K HID 9006 Fog Light kit for a 2IS?!? This beats the pants off the AAC HID Fog kit. I might have to jump on this...
Old 02-23-08, 01:27 PM
kidsupreme
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks cliff

thanks Cliff you been very helpfull.
i will be buying the kit soon.
Old 02-23-08, 05:53 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cliffud, how long will this offer be run for?
Old 02-23-08, 08:09 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Those two pics you see there are of my car. I purchased the Mobile HID for the car. I'm very conservative on my vehicle's appearance and would hate to have anything that would either look non-OEM or an eyesore. For this reason I run the Tom's front lip and OEM trunk spoiler and rear lower ground effects.

I absolutely hate the yellow lens covers that a lot of guys install on their cars. They look non-OEm and reduce the light output. Fog lights are designed to spread out the light on a wide angle. By this design the beam doesn't travel very far.

Normal headlights have a beam that is supposed to travel further and light up the road. Even though HIDs are brighter, the OEM HIDs lenses are usually designed to focus the beam with more accuracy to help reduce the glare and avoid blinding the oncomming traffic. OEM HID also use a ballast that is integrated within the housings and is sealed that way. Mounting a ballast in a non-sealed housing would create a potential probelm with moisture and dirt getting in there unless the ballast was designed to do exactly that. These ballasts generate extremely high voltage and will hurt and could possibly kill you if you're not careful. So connection and insulation is also very important.

The OEM fog light bulbs on my IS350 use a 9006 bulb. This bulb has a seal on the flange to seal off the housing. It becomes very important to have that seal and prevent moisture from getting the the fog light housing and possibly shorting out that HID bulb and ballast.

HID ballasts require a lot of energy to initially light them off. Unlike what everyone expects, they require about 80% the energy to re-light them when they are warmed up compared to when they are cold. But even with them requiring lesser current during a restart, they do require more voltage for the bulbs to relight. IMO, using them for high beam control should definitely be reconsidered.

With all things considered, I purchased the MobildHID kit and love it. I just wish the GB for the kit was a month ago. The ballasts are fully sealed all the way to the connectors and bulbs. The harness also comes complete with a relay, fuse and holder and weather resistant connectors all covered properly in a wire loom.

Since HIDs create a light of a different spectrum that ordinary halogen bulbs, I had a hard time noticing the road if it was a black top road especially if it was raining. The last thing I wanted was a bent wheel or damaged suspension component from not noticing the huge pot hole as it approached the car. I needed to have a yellow based light to let me see the road immediately ahead of the vehicle. So I went with the 3000K HID fogs. The lenses appear clear and OEM. Infact the housing runs around 20 deg F cooler with the HID fogs than the OEM 9006 halogen bulbs!! The 3000K fogs deliver light substantially more light than the OEM fog light bulbd did but it doesn't blind the oncomming traffic. The housings still appear white since the light is so intense but the light on the road in front is yellow. I have yet to be flashed by anyone for having them on. The OEM glare gaurd is doing an excellent job. The OEM HID bulbs do a wonderful job lighting up the road ahead. The 3000K fogs cover where the OEM left off. I also would've been disappointed in the purchase of the colored fog light bulbs since they will deliver lesser light, generate substantially more heat and would either shatter in the housing or melt the housing and create an issue that won't be warrantable.

Thanks for the excellent product, Clifford.

Last edited by carchitect; 02-23-08 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: IS250/350 HID conversion kits - waterproof and shockproof! :)