Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Sewell Lexus, sewellpartsonline.com F-SPORT Performance Line Pre-Order Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 02:53 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was quick. Now I'm even more tempted to order. When is it expected to arrive for thsoe who got the confirmation already?
Old 04-17-08, 04:42 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Estimated delivery Apr 22, 2008

I'm aiming to schedule going to the Lexus dealer Wednesday the 23rd.
Old 04-18-08, 11:27 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, a quick question. They seem to do the same thing, I am thinking of getting the springs and I am considering on getting the Chassis member Brace and/or Sway bar Set along with it.

Is it worth having both the Chassis Member Brace and Sway Bar Set at the same time? or I can do with one of them, if so which ones?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-08, 02:43 PM
charliea42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rfx45
That was quick. Now I'm even more tempted to order. When is it expected to arrive for thsoe who got the confirmation already?

I've got a 22 April 2008 date, up here in the Northeast.
Old 04-18-08, 03:47 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Ok, a quick question. They seem to do the same thing, I am thinking of getting the springs and I am considering on getting the Chassis member Brace and/or Sway bar Set along with it.

Is it worth having both the Chassis Member Brace and Sway Bar Set at the same time? or I can do with one of them, if so which ones?

Thanks!
I had the same question the other day and the ever-dependable RTIS250 answered like this:

"The sway bars are attached to the control arms, and limit wheel travel to keep the car flat and level in turns. While the chassis brace eliminates chassis flex, which will also stiffen up your car and stop body roll. Both items compliment each other."
Old 04-20-08, 12:01 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
I had the same question the other day and the ever-dependable RTIS250 answered like this:

"The sway bars are attached to the control arms, and limit wheel travel to keep the car flat and level in turns. While the chassis brace eliminates chassis flex, which will also stiffen up your car and stop body roll. Both items compliment each other."
Thanks, that somewhat answered my question. Sounds like it still does the same thing to me. Can anybody explain further in lame mans term?
Old 04-20-08, 07:17 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, that somewhat answered my question. Sounds like it still does the same thing to me. Can anybody explain further in lame mans term?
All it means is that when you go over bumps and stuff, your wheels will move up and down and in and out (a little bit) to along with the surface of the road... now when you turn left, the car will push towards the right, aka pushing down on the right side's wheel so you get a body roll.... the sway bar restricts the amount of movement of the right wheel by attaching it to the left one with a bar. It uses the same principle as if you hold onto a friends hand while facing each other, then if you both lean backwards none of you will fall because each of your movement is counter acting the others... so it counter acts body roll by sending force to whichever side the car isnt rolling towards.

As for body flex, if you take a sheet of paper and hold it up on 2 sides, the middle is all floppy and such because the paper isnt strong enough to support its own weight, now if you take 2 chop sticks or whatever and make an X on the paper and glue it there.... if you hold on to the chop stick the paper wont be flapping around anymore. SO to sum it up, the paper is the car's chassis, its just a sheet metal that have take a huge amount of stress and weight so it will twist and turn a bit when under heavy turning.... and the chassis brace just acts as the chopstick giving it more strength holding it together so your rear wheel wont be a bit off from the front due to the chassis being bend a little during turns and ****ing you up lol

Go watch old American movies involving car chases where police cars comes flying over the hills.. when they hit the ground if you watch it carefully the car bends a little from the front and back like its about to snap... the same thing happens to you during a hard turn just less extreme... thats chassis flex
Old 04-20-08, 08:28 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
All it means is that when you go over bumps and stuff, your wheels will move up and down and in and out (a little bit) to along with the surface of the road... now when you turn left, the car will push towards the right, aka pushing down on the right side's wheel so you get a body roll.... the sway bar restricts the amount of movement of the right wheel by attaching it to the left one with a bar. It uses the same principle as if you hold onto a friends hand while facing each other, then if you both lean backwards none of you will fall because each of your movement is counter acting the others... so it counter acts body roll by sending force to whichever side the car isnt rolling towards.

As for body flex, if you take a sheet of paper and hold it up on 2 sides, the middle is all floppy and such because the paper isnt strong enough to support its own weight, now if you take 2 chop sticks or whatever and make an X on the paper and glue it there.... if you hold on to the chop stick the paper wont be flapping around anymore. SO to sum it up, the paper is the car's chassis, its just a sheet metal that have take a huge amount of stress and weight so it will twist and turn a bit when under heavy turning.... and the chassis brace just acts as the chopstick giving it more strength holding it together so your rear wheel wont be a bit off from the front due to the chassis being bend a little during turns and ****ing you up lol

Go watch old American movies involving car chases where police cars comes flying over the hills.. when they hit the ground if you watch it carefully the car bends a little from the front and back like its about to snap... the same thing happens to you during a hard turn just less extreme... thats chassis flex
I must say, very well put. I don't think I could have said it that way, even I tried.
Old 04-20-08, 10:55 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez

Thanks for the great explanation and analogy. It makes a lot more sense now. I appreciate it.
Old 04-21-08, 09:18 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Just an FYI: I just went out and listened to/test drove a manual IS with the short shifter and the intake. The F-Sport intake does have a little bit of a deeper sound when I opened up the throttle, and the pipe is slightly larger in diameter. The tech that installed it said both the short-shifter and the intake were pretty easy installs.

-Regan
Old 04-21-08, 09:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Yeah I agree..

The intake swap is a breeze.... !!!!

Joe Z
Old 04-21-08, 10:29 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
Just an FYI: I just went out and listened to/test drove a manual IS with the short shifter and the intake. The F-Sport intake does have a little bit of a deeper sound when I opened up the throttle, and the pipe is slightly larger in diameter. The tech that installed it said both the short-shifter and the intake were pretty easy installs.

-Regan
Regan,

How was throttle response throughout the power band? Any noticeable differences vs. stock?
Old 04-21-08, 10:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for people wondering what chassis strengthening mods are suppose to do: Cars are designed to perform with a certain suspension geometry, proper suspension geometry needs to be maintained for grip and getting power to the ground. Strengthening the chassis ensures that under heavy cornering conditions (chassis stress) the suspension geometry maintains itself and the vehicle will provide you with its designed grip and power transfer. Suspension shifting even by 1mm off can have big adverse affects on teh handling of the car. Which is why if your frame is damaged in an accident, it wont drive the same; the suspension geometry has changed away from factory spec and/or chassis strength has been reduced
Old 04-21-08, 10:49 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by myculito
Regan,

How was throttle response throughout the power band? Any noticeable differences vs. stock?
I didn't notice a difference in response due to the intake.

-Regan
Old 04-21-08, 05:37 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been following the spring's price for a few days, is there a reason that its price has been fluxing with a +/- $8~9 after the F sport discount the past few days? And what If I ordered it when the price was higher during the flux?

Quick Reply: Sewell Lexus, sewellpartsonline.com F-SPORT Performance Line Pre-Order Now Available