Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

XenonDepot Super Sale! HID Kits, Automotive LED bulbs, & more. Save Big!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10 | 01:13 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Just in time for the holidays!

KBcarstuff.com Gift certificates are the perfect gift idea when you're short of time on finding the right present. Our Gift certificates make the perfect present for friends, family, and business associates that are automotive enthusiasts at heart! KBcarstuff offers thousands of high quality automotive products making it easy for the lucky recipient to find exactly what they are looking for to spice up their ride!
Old 11-19-10 | 12:20 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Steve,

I was all set to order the Volt 9007 Bi-Xenon kit for my '97 Chrysler Town and Country, but then I read something you said to another poster:

I honestly would not suggest upgrading your high beams to HID for severa reasons:

1) HID bulbs require a constant 12v meaning that if your vehicle has DRL the DRL would need to be deactivated.

2) HIDs take a moment to reach their desired light output. In situations where you need to flash someone your HID high beams would not be very functional.

3) It is strenuous on the components to be turned on/off repeatedly ie: flashing people.
Since my lights are combination hi/low beams (but no DRL), are you saying you would NOT recommend an HID kit, since if I flash the high beams it would not be very functional? Or do your comments only apply to DRL situations?

How exactly do your kits achieve the hi/low switchover? I do not have projector lights, is that a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-10 | 12:24 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello Sir,

The bi-Xenon HID kits use a single moving bulb to differentiate between low and high beam. My comments were directed at someone that was looking to an HID kit in the high beams of a vehicle that uses 2 separate bulbs for the low and high beam meaning that the high beam bulb would actually cycle on/off. This would not apply to your application.

Steve
Old 11-19-10 | 01:02 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hello Sir,

The bi-Xenon HID kits use a single moving bulb to differentiate between low and high beam. My comments were directed at someone that was looking to an HID kit in the high beams of a vehicle that uses 2 separate bulbs for the low and high beam meaning that the high beam bulb would actually cycle on/off. This would not apply to your application.

Steve
Steve,

So what if I am driving with my lights off (daytime), but then want to flash my high-beams - isn't that the situation you are describing, because it would cycle the lights on/off? Would this be bad for a bi-xenon kit?

Also, how does the bulb move from low to high?

Leon
Old 11-19-10 | 01:07 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi Leon,

There is only one light source. When you switch from low to high the position of the bulb gets altered to switch between low and high beam. The bulb does not physically get turned on/off.

Steve
Old 11-19-10 | 01:25 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I think I am being dense. I understand that the bulb does not get cycled on/off if I am already driving with the lights on (i.e. at night). But if I am driving in daytime, and my lights are off, and I want to flash my high beams (e.g. as a signal to someone going the other way), that would cycle the bulb on/off. Is that bad for the HID bulbs?
Old 11-19-10 | 01:33 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. You are correct. That would essentially be the same thing. It is not ideal to flash the lights on a regular basis. Keep in mind that the bulbs will have a warm up period so they would not be very functional as a flashing tool (aside from the stress on the bulb).

Steve
Old 11-19-10 | 01:38 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Hi,

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. You are correct. That would essentially be the same thing. It is not ideal to flash the lights on a regular basis. Keep in mind that the bulbs will have a warm up period so they would not be very functional as a flashing tool (aside from the stress on the bulb).

Steve
So, if I flash my high beams maybe once a month or less, would you still recommend against the bi-Xenon kit? Or is that infrequent enough to not be an issue?

Last edited by lyonkster; 11-19-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-21-10 | 08:10 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hello Steve,

I tried sending you a PM about the LEDs I bought from you, but it wouldn't go through because your PM inbox is full. Please contact me when you get a chance. Thanks!
Old 11-22-10 | 06:55 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey Alex,

I will clear my inbox shortly. Sorry about that.

Steve
Old 11-22-10 | 07:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support. All HID Conversion kit orders have been shipped out. We also just received some great pics from one of our customers who installed an older XenonDepot HID kit in their vehicle.

Even after 4+ years the HID Conversion Kit still works great and provides very bright light output!

Also, don't forget to visit our website where you can enter to win a FREE Ipad!

Old 11-22-10 | 01:36 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Alex,

I will clear my inbox shortly. Sorry about that.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I re-sent you the PM.
Old 11-22-10 | 01:45 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Thanks bud. Will check shortly.

Steve
Old 11-22-10 | 01:55 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

XenonDepot definitely is the way to go! I have purchased several HID kits from them and have not had any issues with any of their kits. As an example, I purchased an HID kit with 6000K Philips Ultinon II bulbs back in 2003, which I installed in a Corolla which I recently sold. To this day, there hasn't been any problems with the kit. Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails XenonDepot Super Sale! HID Kits, Automotive LED bulbs, & more. Save Big!-corolla1.jpg   XenonDepot Super Sale! HID Kits, Automotive LED bulbs, & more. Save Big!-corolla2.jpg   XenonDepot Super Sale! HID Kits, Automotive LED bulbs, & more. Save Big!-corolla3.jpg  
Old 11-22-10 | 10:37 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Just installed a 8000k HID kit on my 2003 GX470. Looks way better than stock Halogen. I recently bought the car and had no clue that the car of this magnitude didn't come with zenon from factory. $100 fixed that problem fast. Now Im on a look out for a posible way of adding a back up camera to the factory navigation screen. Is there a cheaper way than Navtool? I just can't justify the cost of navtool, but realy want to have the camera working with the original head unit.

Quick Reply: XenonDepot Super Sale! HID Kits, Automotive LED bulbs, & more. Save Big!