Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Possible Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 06:06 PM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel

This was copied and pasted from the other wood steering wheel thread:

Manaray---

Ok folks, let's see what kinda group we have...

If you are interested in this deal, please read the following carefully...

1) the job will cost UNDER $400 plus some shipping. I am working to get the price as low as possible so I need some info from you guys...

2) EMAIL ME (at gs430@mac.com) the year/model of your Lexus, the color of your interior and PLEASE SPECIFY if you have a "special" model like Platinum or Coach.

3) Let me know via that email if you MUST have a loaner wheel.

4) We may need to stagger the group buy (depending on how many people need steering wheels)...so everyone who's in on the deal will need to pay upfront so that we can guarantee the prices.

5) I am also considering offering a core trade in program where you get a replacement steering wheel instead of your original back. It will cost a little more (not sure how much, can't even give you a ball park at this point) but you won't be out of a steering wheel (or you won't have do a double install/removal like the loaner program)...let me know via your email if you are interested in this option.

6) If you have already done this converstion and you have a spare steering wheel laying around, please let me know if you're willing to donate or sell it to us for use in this group buy.

That's all the info I have until next week, thanks!

Last edited by Static911; 04-30-02 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 06:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Email sent

Email sent . Come on everyone. You will not come across this again.
Old 04-30-02, 07:26 PM
JacobT

I sent my email too. Where's Manaray? He's probably busy talking to American Stiches

Old 04-30-02, 11:40 PM
GS_FANATIC
Driver School Candidate

I'VE ALSO SENT MINE!
Old 05-01-02, 12:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MORE INFO!

Hey Guys, PLEASE keep 'em coming...the more people we get, the better price I can do...

Remember, a factory Lexus steering wheel is $2200...I know, I have one on my GS430! I'm actually doing this particular job on another car...here's my "loaner" wheel that I just picked up so you can see that I'm serious about this buy!

Now here's the details (well some)- I'm going to send in my wheel first. I am going to take the hit for the team and be a guinea pig (I seem to be in this position a lot!)...it's up to you guys whether or not you want to wait for my wheel to come to see my review on the quality, fit, finish, match, etc., etc...

It will take approximately 2 weeks (10 days plus some shipping days) for the wheel to come back. For you "picky" types, you may want to wait for this...

On the 4-spoke wheels (like the one pictured below), the price includes a 1/16" pad under the leather (in order to match the diameter of the wood portion). Don't know about you guys, but I'm GLAD! I was going to get this option regardless since the older wheels are skinnier than the newer ones and I like the newer ones like in the GS430...they also offer a 1/8" pad upgrade (for a small fee)...I am considering this option too...

ALL LEATHER is REDONE with NEW leather. NONE of your old leather is retained. Your wheel will look and feel brand new! (probably a bigger deal to older Lexus owners)

The Wood is standard WALNUT. It's NOT BURL. They do not currently offer rear burlwood. However, the Walnut is color matched to your car. So if you can send a piece of your wood in (any piece), then that would help them stain match the steering wheel. According to them, they have had NO complaints about the walnut wheel in a burl interior....personally, on my factory wood GS430 steering wheel, I don't think it's burl either (but I'll have to look and double check)

Some people have done this (on other cars) w/o a "sample" piece of wood and they have had no complaints. I think a couple of our members have done it also.

Now, for your Burlwood fans....they DO offer a pseudo-burlwood "finish". It's basically a special dying/printing technique that gives you the look of burl. It's done OVER the Walnut (so it's not like it's plastic or anything!) and then they lacquer OVER the print so the "finish" won't come off. There is a TINY upcharge for this (I'm finalizing the pricing on this option)...

They told me that they can match ANY color interior (well, match it as close as possible) for the wood and leather. Even if it's a shade or two off, you probably won't notice it.

Also, your airbag is NOT leather. It's vinyl of some sort so don't expect it to match EXACTLY with the airbag since it's a COMPLETELY different material and does not have the same color characteristics as leather. Even FACTORY leather doesn't match..except maybe for Black...

One person complained about the "ridges" (for her pleasure?) on teh back of the wheels...about how "pronounced" they were on the wood wheels...I am going to ask them to retain the "stock" ridge specification as the factory wheel (I think ALL Lexus wheels have some sort of ridges on the back of the wheel...I know my loaner wheel and the one currently in the car both do)...if you have any issues with this, please post it here.

OK, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST IT HERE.

IF YOU WANT TO GET IN ON THIS BUY, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT:

gs430@mac.com

I will post FINAL pricing here but it WILL BE under $400 (unless you specify something in particular like the 1/8" pad upgrade or the burlwood print upgrade...they it may be just a tip over $400...but maybe not). Please don't give me this "well if it's less than $XXX, I'm in...otherwise forget it."...I'm going to say this now, DON'T BOTHER. Just wait for the price before you email me if a few bucks is going to make or break your bank account ...but know this, the more people I have confirmed, the LOWER I can get the price. Capisce?
Attached Thumbnails Possible Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel-loaner.jpg  
Old 05-01-02, 09:55 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Hi Manaray, I e-mailed them about a wood wheel, of which I have Bird's Eye Maple (Platinum) with perforated leather on the wheel, this is what they replied:
"Yes we will be able to do the photo
Genesis process for birds eye maple, however it will be about a month or so."
So, I guess it's not real Bird's Eye Maple, just a pattern overlay, and they didn't tell me whether they would replace the leather with perforated or plain, but as I'm very picky, I'm a little concerned, even though it's only $400. Who does Lexus/Toyota actually use to manufacture their steeringwheels ? I'd also want the factory type small protruding "nubs" on the top back of the wheel, and I'd assume that the wood would have to be carved accordingly. Any thoughts ??
Old 05-01-02, 05:17 PM
Prost
Rookie

Default Style?

I have a 99 GS3. Is the wood wheel looks like the 2001+ model year GS or the same as the 98-2000 GS but with wood?
Old 05-01-02, 05:27 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the members that have done this already,
how about posting a pic so I can make up my mind. I dont care about the money, its more about whether I like it or not.

I want to see what the wood looks like.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-02, 07:44 PM
LexFather

In like Flynn!

Old 05-01-02, 11:19 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Manaray,

I'm in!

I just sent you an email but I am having network problems today so let me know if you didn't get my message.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-02-02, 12:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wood is just ADDED to your existing steering wheel. If you have a Pre-2001 GS wheel (w/o the chrome logo in the center), you're STILL NOT going to have the chrome logo. If you have an older 4-spoke wheel like the one I have pictured above, you're STILL going to have a 4-spoke wheel, not a 3-spoke...

Come on, we need more people...where are all you ***** talkers that said they would jump in "if the price was right"...well for under $400, the price is RIGHT! Come on folks, put your money where your mouth is or I'm going to delete EVERY SINGLE "I want a wood steering wheel" thread from now on!

Don't dispair if I haven't replied to your emails. I get a LOT of emails and right now, I'm just gauging REAL interest.

OUR FINAL PRICE WILL BE BASED ON THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WE CAN GET. The more we get, the better the deal.
Old 05-02-02, 01:47 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Might be more motivating if you can pull some #s.

ONLY AN EXAMPLE!!!

$400 for 1-5
$390 for 6-15
$375 for 16+

Can you line up something like that?
Old 05-02-02, 02:14 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Some people have paid 700 for the same job. Not that I dont want to pay less, but less than 400 is a deal.
Old 05-02-02, 06:23 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I think a lot of people want the 3 spoke wheel to replace the four spoke instead of the wood. maybe thats what people were talkin bout, atleast what i was talkin about
Old 05-02-02, 08:17 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

I'm in, if the quality is decent.

Quick Reply: Possible Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel