Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 04:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I didn't have the exposure setting correct on the other pictures which is why they're so dim...BUT, they're more for comparison. I mean look at how pathetic the stock lights are! I was using a 1/15 during the shoot and the last one, the camera speced out a 1/2....so you can see how much less exposure time I was giving the camera...oh well, I'm not going to "undo" the kit and then "redo" it...hehehe...

Just take my word for it, it's a HUGE improvement. I can't imagine that ANYONE would be disappointed!

When I get the chance to take a photo of the HID setup vs. the Koitos, I will use the camera's automatic feature to take the picture...

Last edited by Manaray; 05-24-02 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-24-02, 04:16 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - the SC stockers are a really pathetic excuse for OEM lighting.

Excellent write up manaray.

Lets see some side by side shots with your GS OEM setup. After, of courser, you pull all those zip ties outta your hair.
Old 05-24-02, 04:30 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man.

So where do you tap in the two power wires?

the ones attached to the relay pre-fuse?

thanks thats my only question otherwise i understand everything PERFECTLY!!!

ALSO

are there TWO relays? if there are only one, what connects to the second balast plug in?

Last edited by LexusRules; 05-24-02 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-24-02, 04:58 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One quick question: Why did you have to buy all the way from England? There were no places in the states that sold this system? Just curious.

Keith

P.S Nice install, and great job on getting the discount. Thanks for the thorough write-up.

Last edited by Keith13b; 05-24-02 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-24-02, 05:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Keith13b - Because AutoLamps-Online sells some of the best kits. The "other" good kit is from Japan. Shipping is INCLUDED in the prices ($450 for 4100K and $550 for 6000K)...it only took 2 days from England once it was "shipped"...it took a couple of days for them to ship it.

Sasha - I connected the power wires directly to the battery (the wires are long enough). As for the relays, EACH harness has a relay. Every item in the kit is just duplicates...there is no "unique" single item...

Dex, Thanks! The stock SC lights are sad...but also remember, those photos (except the last one) are WAY underexposed (my bad)...so it's not super pathetic...just really pathetic stock lighting... I will try to get a side by side with my GS real soon...

Here's a another picture for y'all...this one is exposed at 1/2...down the same street as the others...NOW you can see the HID advantage!
Attached Thumbnails AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT-retry.jpg  
Old 05-24-02, 09:52 AM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Upgrade

Hey Manaray,

Do you know if there's an HID upgrade
and for 1st Gen 300 (1994), where to buy them, and how much?

Please pm me.

Thanks,
Jhuzz
Old 05-24-02, 11:43 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, good job on that mod. I was definately thinking of swapping my stocks for HID but I think I'll wait til summer after all this Chicago rain is done falling. I have driven a GS400 with hID and it really does make a difference in safety, plus they lok hot as hell.

Old 05-24-02, 02:01 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HID Upgrade

Originally posted by jhuzzee
Hey Manaray,

Do you know if there's an HID upgrade
and for 1st Gen 300 (1994), where to buy them, and how much?

Please pm me.

Thanks,
Jhuzz
Autolamps makes a kit for every halogen low beam socket, in your case it would be the exact same 9006 kit.

Hey manaray, did you get any flicker? Can we get more pics at the proper exposure?

- From 50 feet away head on from eye level of an oncoming motorist

- Parked adjacent (next) to a plain white wall (picture of the wall)

- Parked facing a plain white wall at 5/10/15 feet away (picture of the wall)

- Bird's eye view of beam pattern

Thanks!
Old 05-25-02, 06:54 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much for the painstaking details! Excellent information indeed all of us could benefit from. HID is the way to go- no doubt about it.
Old 05-25-02, 07:00 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man, last question

did you put the negitive into the battery or ground it to the chassis? when you installed the positive did you take off the metal part or just stick it into the battery?
Old 05-26-02, 07:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Sasha, he's the picture of the batter hookups as it is NOW...I am going to modify this so that the leads face towards the cabin of the car (opposite of how it is now) and make it so that I can put the battery terminal caps back on (a little more modifcation)...

Old 05-26-02, 08:00 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now onto Lex400SC's requests...I'll have you know, I did this at 3 in the morning just to make you happy!

Here's three shots against a white wall at 5, 10, and 15 feet away...the thing in middle against the wall is a camera tripod. I placed it directly in the center of the two lights so you knew were the center was...

5 feet...

10 feet...

15 feet...
Old 05-26-02, 08:02 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now here's a couple of shots of the lights pattern from the side...as you can see from these shots, the PATTERN is NOT effected by the HID's...it's the same as it was with the Halogens...just a LOT brighter!

Driver Side...

Passenger Side...
Old 05-26-02, 08:04 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

And some extra little notes...I did notice that THROUGH MY SC'S PROJECTORS, these lights come out a little yellow/greenish...here's a shot of the lights against a white wall at about 2 feet away...

Now here's another shot of the lights against the wall at a close distance...notice on TOP of the lights "center mass"...there is a fringe of yellow....

So where the hell is that coming from? Well I tried to "trace" the yellow portion...here's a picture of a white sheet of paper against the headlight...you can see the yellow clearly here...it looks like it's some sort of refraction caused by the projectors...remember, these projectors were NOT designed for HID so having something like this doesn's suprise me...

The piece of paper is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the headlight lens (from where it meets the bumper)

But as you can see from the other photos, the light is still "white" and still MUCH more brighter than Halogen...by a long shot.

Last edited by Manaray; 05-26-02 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 08:10 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now you guys remember those weird "eyes" just in front of the bumper? Well I figured out what that's from...it's the design of the headlight lenses...if you look at the SC's headlight lens, you'll see that it curves back towards the car at the bottom...this edge is causing those things to show up on the ground...

Check out the comparison photos...for the right side of the photo covered the bottom part of the headlight lens using some paper (on the driver's side only)...the left side of the photo is with no covering...

You can also see what I'm talking about by looking at the front bumper...see where that patch of light hits the front bumper...(circled in red)

Last edited by Manaray; 05-26-02 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT