Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 05:36 AM
capper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark....my wheel

Mine is out there in Mesquite as we speak....I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks, and hope to have it back on my return (I sent it out a week ago)...Will post pictures when I get back and get it installed....Capper
Old 07-30-02, 10:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm sorry but I didn't catch the COST? How much is the whole thing for a GS4 wooden steering wheel. Much thanks
Old 08-04-02, 05:10 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I know you are doin your thing but the people that dont need loaners would be faster...right.
Old 08-16-02, 07:00 PM
capper
Rookie

Default My new wheel.....

Just got back from Scotland, and my wheel (and shifter recovering job) were here from American Stitches...I am VERY pleased...there is not as much color discrepancy as the picture shows between my airbag and the leather, and overall, it matches my car very well. The wood in particular is great...I sent the piece from the drivers window controls of my 92 LS, and Terry emailed me back and said I might not want the burl pattern, that the straight wood might look better....he was right....Someone had emailed me earlier about wanting to buy my beat up egg shaped replacement wheel I used while mine was in Mesquite...please EMail me again at dhcmd@aol.com if you are still interested....I would just like to recover the cost of the wheel and shipping...it rubs on the steering column, but makes the car drivable while your wheel is away...anyway, here is a snapshot of the new wheel in my old LS, and you can see the shifter recover job...love it, Capper
Attached Thumbnails ** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy-new-wheel-and-shifter.jpg  
Old 08-16-02, 07:07 PM
capper
Rookie

Default another picture of the wheel

this one shows the leather match a little better....overall, everyone that has seen it thinks it looks great...capper
Attached Thumbnails ** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy-wheel2.jpg  
Old 08-17-02, 04:53 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the set up. How much did it cost and how long did it take to get it?

hmmm.............nice, me want.
Old 08-17-02, 06:13 AM
capper
Rookie

Default cost and time...

I know this has been a VERY long thread, and Manaray has put in a ton of work trying to get this done. The prices vary based on how many wheels of each type (3 or 4 spoke) are in on the group buy. If you read back on the original thread it will tell you...Mine went essentially as a single, as we have had some people back out who initially said they were in on the group buy, but it cost me $392 with shipping...the shifter recover was $89. Details on how the pricing works on the group buy are in the original thread. It all depends on how many are truly in...the biggest holdup has been those who don't have a wheel to use while theirs is shipped to Mesquite to American Stitches....Good luck, I love mine....Capper
Old 08-17-02, 06:13 AM
capper
Rookie

Default sorry, time....

Mine took just a tad less than three weeks from shipping out of Kentucky to return....Capper
Old 08-17-02, 06:21 AM
capper
Rookie

Default Original thread link with pricing....

I think some folks have come in late on this and haven't been through the all the original work Manaray did to try to put this thing together, so I'll try to give you a short cut.....the pricing specs as originally listed are on page 4 of 7 of this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&threadid=46202

Capper
Old 08-17-02, 06:32 AM
capper
Rookie

Default another picture of the new wheel...

from American Stitches...the grooves on the back show on this side shot...really like the way it feels...these are a little more pronounced than the grooves on the factory wheel on the new LS's and I like them....good luck to all who are in on the group buy, it will be worth the wait....capper
Attached Thumbnails ** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy-fingergrooves2.jpg  
Old 08-17-02, 06:39 AM
capper
Rookie

Default Hotlink to original thread....

For some odd reason the hotlink I posted to the original thread doesn't work....just go to the first page, first post of this thread, and click on the hotlink provided by Manaray, then go to the bottom of page 4 of 7 for pricing.....hope this helps, Capper
Old 08-17-02, 10:08 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Capper, thanks for the info. I need a loaner steering wheel.
Old 08-18-02, 08:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Capper, I'm gald to see that you got your wheel back! Looks good! I think mine is sitting at my house right now..

Anyways, as soon as I get back, I am going to start this process right back up...hopefully, everyone is checking in on this thread every now and then...

NON-Loaners will be going out first. I still haven't worked out all the details of the Loaner program (major PITA!) so I think Capper's method is probably the best...since there are SO many people who need loaners, we won't be able to meet the orginal prices I posted...

All prices must add $30 since we have way too many loaners and we can't send in the wheels in quantity like we originally planned...

Anyways, I'll be back in the States next week so I'll deal with it all then...
Old 08-18-02, 09:02 AM
capper
Rookie

Default Hey Manaray..

Hope you're having a great time across the pond...just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work...you may never deal with a group buy that is this much of a PITA again, but I sure appreciate all you have done....the rest of you, get with M when he returns, and lets get this thing done....happy trails, Capper
Old 08-18-02, 09:09 AM
capper
Rookie

Default the capper method of getting a beatup wheel

I have promised my eggwheel to GQ, and have one other member that has EMailed me wanting it....for those of you who want to get around the loaner program, which is a huge ordeal for both Manaray and those wanting to get this done as fast as possible, here is what I did...

Go to Junkyarddog.com, and type in your make and model....tell them you want to try to find a POS wheel for as cheap as possible, just so you can get yours refinished...just something to steer the car for three weeks...I got mine for 50 bucks (now for sale for $40), which, two months ago was by far the lowest price I found (from some junkyard in Colorado, I'm sure someone died in that crash...ugly wheel)...tell them you don't want the airbag, just the wheel rim to steer the car till yours gets back...good luck...the next cheapest one on my search was $100, but you may have better luck. This will save you "standing in line" for the few loaner wheels Mike has available...

I know it's a pain, but if you want a wood and leather, and don't want to pay your Lexus dealer $2400 bucks for a factory one, its WELL worth it....lov'n
my wheel....Capper

Quick Reply: ** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy