Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 10:09 PM
RacingAristo

Yeah, that's why when I get the SupraTT kit, I'd run it in stock rotors/pads.

Old 08-06-02, 11:53 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A few questions for anyone kind enough to answer:

1) Do the EBC pads give off extra dust like the DRD - and noise?

2) When people say the CAD plated silver gets "burnt" after a little use, what color are we talking about? Brass color? Ugly?

3) If I use stock pads, will the rotors create more noise/squeaking than stock rotors?

4) Are the rotors available in cross-drilled only (not slotted)? For the same or close price for an SC?

Many Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-07-02, 09:05 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really want to jump into the GB.. but I need to think this through.. I already verify on with the wheel manufacture that my current 18" wheel is the same one that can be used on SupraTT. So Clearance is not a problem... but my Snow Tire on 17" L-Tuned is not going to fit... this will cause me an arm and leg just to swich caliper.....Should I try to sell of the Winter tire? and spend even more for Snow tire / Rim ... ps.. i am broke too.. becuase of the last upgrade.. TC and LSD...
Old 08-07-02, 09:11 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ryan
A few questions for anyone kind enough to answer:

1) Do the EBC pads give off extra dust like the DRD - and noise?

2) When people say the CAD plated silver gets "burnt" after a little use, what color are we talking about? Brass color? Ugly?

3) If I use stock pads, will the rotors create more noise/squeaking than stock rotors?

4) Are the rotors available in cross-drilled only (not slotted)? For the same or close price for an SC?

Many Thanks,
Ryan
let me try.

1. The greenstuff pads specifically give off significantly less dust than TRD ones does. the TRDs are horrible, but i haven't had them personally
2. The rotors may or may not come in a slight bronze and then turn silver over a short time
3. just a little more, and i mean little. nothing that'll **** you off
4. i heard they were available from steve if you ask him. and the price is the same for the SC

Dr. Rick,

so you're using the TRD pads? thanks for the reply
Old 08-07-02, 03:37 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shinchan,

Honestly dude just get the stock sized cross drilled / slotted rotors with EBC pads and you won't be disappointed.. The Supra kit is nice and i'd love to do it as well but I don't feel like buying new winter rims and rubber for the GS..

Everybody else,

We've been running on the GS with the EBC pads and Race Tech slotted / cross drilled rotors and brake dust is not an issue at all.. The first day I noticed a bit more dust over the stock setup but I assumed the brakes were just seating themselves therefore a little extra dust.. 4 days into running on them and there is NO dust.. They live up to the hype.. Stopping power is twice as better IMHO than the stock setup with a nice firm pedal now from the SS lines (Highly recommend this upgrade)..

Ryan,

Take a good look at Dr Rick's picture of the rotor and you will see the silver cad plating gets worn away on the braking surface and the rest of the rotor is the Silver Cad colour.. Looks great and no rusting issues on the hat part and other parts of the rotor that aren't in the braking area..

Ok guys hope all that helps.. Any more questions just leave them here and i'll get to them when I can..
Old 08-08-02, 02:45 PM
gsphil
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Buy

I'm a newbie just having purchase a 1998 GS 300 on July 19. No mods but picking up some great ideas here. Love the site. Great info. The car has 64,000 and needs brakes. I'm looking to replace the rotors since they have rust on the hat and other non-braking parts.

I am interested in purchasing the:

GS cross/slotted,CAD plated silver-$299.00 set (4)

EBC Sport Pads Green (Front) - $88.00
EBC Sport Pads Green (Rear) - $78.00

Shim Kits / Fitting Kits

Thinking about doing the SS brake lines also.

Help me out gang and tell me what I need to do next, to get this done. Also, what is your ballpark estimate for a Lexus dealer installation. Thanks.

GSPhil
Old 08-08-02, 04:04 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsphil,

you have everything you need in that list. what you do not have to have is the SS lines, which looks like you already knew that.

as far as lexus installs, that varies by a wide *** margin so you just gotta call your local one. mine quoted me over $400, because he called a basic brake job, which isn't exactly what i wanted. local shops that will do it without guarantees may charge as little as $100. if you're mechanically inclined, MRGS400inSoCali(whew!) wrote instructions for a TT upgrade, and read through there for starts, and you'll find a link to a OEM upgrade i believe as well.
Old 08-08-02, 07:09 PM
RacingAristo

Changing pads and rotors is very easy. Do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars for your next mod.

Old 08-08-02, 08:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Changing pads and rotors is very easy. Do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars for your next mod.
any instructions for the gs4? i'd love to save those money, coz' i take off my wheels from time to time anyway.

btw, just checking..... if i get new rotors and pads, i do NOT have to surface the rotors right? just put the thing right in with the pads?
Old 08-08-02, 10:04 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by rominl
if i get new rotors and pads, i do NOT have to surface the rotors right? just put the thing right in with the pads?
When I got the TRD rotors/pads from Steve Ganz, I didn't surface the rotors. I put them on right away.

Old 08-08-02, 10:08 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by rominl

any instructions for the gs4? i'd love to save those money, coz' i take off my wheels from time to time anyway.
I remember someone posted up a "how-to" guide. Not sure though. To be honest with you. I can't give you a detail guide since I don't know the names of the parts. When I remove the wheels, I just know what to do.

<- Never go to any professional training program or work in the shop.

Old 08-08-02, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so you saying replacing the front and rear rotors / pads are self explanatory?

so you just put everything on, you didn't have any warping on the rotors or shaky steering wheel?
Old 08-08-02, 11:24 PM
RacingAristo

nope. everything is fine up to today.

I think JacobT or someone posted up some pic on how to change the rotors/pads and I used that as a reference.

Old 08-10-02, 11:45 PM
Shoofin'TL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Dr. Rick's pics...I can't seem to understand why you would change the rotors and not paint the caliper? I did my brakes over, changed the rotors, pads, lines, it's like night and day... Observe:

Ed
P.S. I know, I know, my daily driver isn't a Lexus....yet...
Old 08-11-02, 10:51 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

painting the calipers were not that big of a deal to me. read the sig!!!!!

Doc

Quick Reply: New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)