Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

SC Control Arm Bushings Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 10:54 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bushings

there only $100 bucks, do the work yourself, there only bushings, its not like rocket science, if they fail then get some from whiteline.

stop giving him such a hard time.
Old 08-17-02, 11:20 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

MW,

Thank you for your response. Your 100% correct and I get nothing for any Whiteline sale.

I thought my questions were straight forward and direct. I dont know why I cant get any straight answers and told that I know the answers already. Did I miss something? Were my questions out of line? Did I ever say Todd's bushings were inadequate?

TM,

Do I want to buy your bushings? No, my car already has had new lower control arms replaced. Will I need something in the future? Yes, these stock arms will go bad again.

Do I wish to clear up what is exactly needed and how many different sizes there are? Yes, that is my only motivation to ask these questions. Whiteline says there are different diameters...that is all the information I have.

Geeez, if I am the bad guy here....this is just a joke.
Old 08-17-02, 11:23 AM
James
Driver School Candidate

Default Bushes

Hi Todd,
Interesting thread. Many thanks for the heat/melt removal procedure. My two bits is that you spent much more time and energy designing these than the Whiteline guys as a past description of a Whiteline replacement had me going back to Lexus Canada and pleading for them to sell me the bushes. Of course, they politely told me they are not available.

As I'm not sure my lower arm bushes are shot, please tell me what the symptoms are and when they usually start. Is it time and mileage dependent or just mileage. I only have 80k miles on my '92 SC400 but I do note a rattle that transmits through the steering column when I go over washboard surfaces at slower speeds. I've been trying to rectify for a while but there are no obvious ball joint or other problems. I suspect either these lower bushes or old struts that still work but are essentially worn out after their 11 years of service.

Given that lower ball joints are a standard wear item and the arm does need to be replaced when the joints go, has anybody ever had their lower ball joints wear out on an SC? I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of changing the bushes to only find that I replace the entire arm next year when the ball joint is shot.

Would someone answer the question on the different diameters as I am now curious and didn't think there were any changes from 1992-2000.

Cheers,
James
Old 08-17-02, 11:44 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default whiteline

i got my bushings from whiteline, at first they DID ask me about different diameters, but when i explained to them that i have
92 SOARER V8, (you have to say soarer, or they have no clue) they gave me the part number and the right parts.

i beleive the different diameters are due to year changes IE 91-94 and 95+

FYI 95+ SC's have removable bushings (lower front) from LEXUS, theres even a part number for it, BUT theres a catch, the LEXUS dealer CANT get them for you.

-Xavier Powerz-
Old 08-17-02, 02:19 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I just felt it would benefit the Lexus community as a whole to let everyone know that these are available as a high quality upgrade and/or replacement.
Props to you and thanks. I would be interested in hearing testimonials from members with these bushings. I will need them in the future.
Old 08-17-02, 05:01 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The picture tells all aspects of differing diameters;front,versus rear,eh?
Not a bad price either.
Old 08-17-02, 07:15 PM
black sc
Pole Position

I am interested in the product but, have doubts about the comfort issue. That is my only concern. The ALSC people are trying to make replicas of the stock bushings which, are rubber. As for the Whiteline products. I have heard that they are very harsh riding-wise.Different part # depending, which year Lexus you have is confusing also. Which one is the cutoff year for the later Lexus. I do not know which one is better out of all these. I would be interested in purchasing the polyurethane. I am not trying to start anything just, trying to inform. Since, so many of us have the same problem with the bushings but, at least there is more options now.

Last edited by black sc; 08-17-02 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 07:46 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Default 12 bushings??

Sorry to add more controversy to this raging debate but shouldn't there be sixteen?? I mean four at each corner right?? Am I missing something. Todd, can you get us replacement sway bar links as well. I think the combination of the above parts will make a huge difference in the tightness of the vehicle. Mine feels just plain sloppy right now.

92 sc400 118k miles
Old 08-17-02, 07:46 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

92-96 are the same, 97-00 require a different kit. We do have both available, but this first batch is going pretty fast.

As posted earlier before my information was challenged, if you only change the lower arm bushings you will not significantly change the ride. You will feel a little more of the road surface, but it's not like you are going to be riding on a skateboard or something like that. The biggest change when doing control arm bushings (on ANY vehicle) is that you will feel the smaller cracks and reflector-type bumps more, as there is no rubber to absorb the sudden impact.

On double A-arm cars such as these, probably 80% of the shock is taken up by the upper arm/bushings. These also do not really wear out with normal use, so you can get by with only changing the lowers and be done with it.

The cars that suffer the most on ride are single A-arm cars, such as late model Mustangs. These change considerably when changing the bushings, but that is not our problem.

As mentioned earlier, these are Lexus-specific tooled parts, and are branded and marketed for Lexus-only cars. We have been helping to get these to market for quite a long time now, and trust me, the development to make them a top-notch kit was a primary concern.

These are all polyurethane, and will probably outlast the car. The only concern might be a regrease of the face of the bushings, but that would easily be something that would only have to be done once a year at the very most, and most likely every other year or 3 years even. This is an unavoidable evil with these types of bushings, but the grease technology is pretty good nowdays. (Back in the day, we had to grease them every other month!) With this, you can also see that I've tried every combination under the sun of different suspension components on just about every type of car, so I have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

I'm a Lexus guy and so is our shop, so I'm definitely one of you guys, not simply a retailer trying to make some money off of the higher end clientele of the aftermarket. While we do work on all makes and models of cars here (and especially higher end cars), the primary focus is on Lexus performance. Hey, when Alpine Electronics comes and asks us to build a BMW X5 for them, we can't send them away right?

I think this Daizen brand will become a pretty good thing for the Lexus community as a whole, as the mentality of the company is to produce thoroughly researched, high quality products that will fit and work properly, at a fair price. And these parts won't be for the Fast and Furious Honda yahoos, it will remain Lexus only...always. These guys are serious about this, and are committed for the long run - not here to try and make a fast buck. They are also very market-keen and are looking to produce the specialty parts that we need for our cars. I've been working closely with them to let them know Lexus owners' specific wants and needs, and especially what is happening on the CL forums - so all you guys here were pretty directly responsible for this and all future products.

To me, that is the smartest way to cater to the market - by working with and observing the market directly.

Here's a list of ready or soon to be ready parts that they will have available in the next couple months:

GS/SC/RX/IS Sway bars, stock replacement sway bar urethane bushings, urethane control arm bushings, strut tower braces, brake upgrades, and a few more products that I can't mention yet.

You should slowly see the products in very select higher-end retail shops around the country soon (boo hoo for us!), but for now we're the only distributor.

On the same note, I don't sell anything that I wouldn't use on my own personal cars, especially the fake or Taiwan Xerox products that constantly flood the aftermarket.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions...todd@tmengineering.net

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 08-17-02 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 07:59 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

The upper arms have 2 bushings each (total of 4). Each is replaced with 2 (inserted from each side of the opening).

The lowers also have 2 each, but these are replaced with a single bushing inserted from one side.

So....upper 8 + lower 4 = 12

The end links do not need to be changed, as they are basically solid spherical links. The only other play is the sway bar bushings (which we'll soon have) and the steering rack bushing (which I believe is also in the works).

If you changed all this, it would basically feel like a brand new car (sans the flex from the car itself if yours has had a rough life).

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 08-17-02 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 09:39 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Bushes

Originally posted by James
Hi Todd,
Interesting thread. Many thanks for the heat/melt removal procedure. My two bits is that you spent much more time and energy designing these than the Whiteline guys as a past description of a Whiteline replacement had me going back to Lexus Canada and pleading for them to sell me the bushes. Of course, they politely told me they are not available.

As I'm not sure my lower arm bushes are shot, please tell me what the symptoms are and when they usually start. Is it time and mileage dependent or just mileage. I only have 80k miles on my '92 SC400 but I do note a rattle that transmits through the steering column when I go over washboard surfaces at slower speeds. I've been trying to rectify for a while but there are no obvious ball joint or other problems. I suspect either these lower bushes or old struts that still work but are essentially worn out after their 11 years of service.

I have seen these go bad in as little as 40,000 miles, usually this is the case in the harsher north and eastern climates with snow and road salt. Out here in CA they usually last 80-100,000, but a lot of that depends on the use of the vehicle.

Freeway driving is ok, but stop and go driving is what really takes its toll on the rear lower bushing. The design of the arms is good from a bumpsteer standpoint, but the load that is placed on the bushing is quite abusive, hence the inevitable failure no matter what the circumstances.

Wandering from center at highway speeds is one clue, and clunking or clicking noises on certain road conditions, turns, bumps or driveways is another. If you have 80,000, I'd hedge a pretty good bet that the bushings have seen their better days already. It is very difficult to see if they are ok without actually taking them off the car, as the bracket that holds in the arm blocks your view when trying to peek in from the side.

Struts last usually only 30,000 miles or so, we've had good luck with the Tokicos as a direct replacement with no complaints from anyone on them. These carry a lifetime replacement warranty, so you really can't go wrong with them - plus they're cheaper than the factory replacements which will wear out again in a pretty short period of time.

Given that lower ball joints are a standard wear item and the arm does need to be replaced when the joints go, has anybody ever had their lower ball joints wear out on an SC? I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of changing the bushes to only find that I replace the entire arm next year when the ball joint is shot.

No worries, replacement ball joints are in the works too

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 08-18-02 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-18-02, 12:04 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default not that harsh

there not that harsh i have whiteline on my SC and there not hard harsh at all, so relax, geez there just bushings, they actually make your car feel more sporty, but there not harsh, and the whiteline's are hard urathain.

one person says something and it gets blown out of control, so just swap them, there cheaper than getting new arms

Xavier
Old 08-18-02, 03:03 AM
black sc
Pole Position

I don't think it was from 2 people I heard it from. It is also listed in the ALSC forum as well. That is why they are going for the rubber bushings. Also, I do not know if, more or less it is urethane that Whiteline's composition of their bushings. I just don't want to swap them out for new arms. If you have a car that has the Tokikos or stock suspension and the new bushings installed. I sure would like to ride it before I buy. Also, Whiteline is not the supplier just, a reseller. Whiteline bushings are from a company called, SuperPro just, for everyone's info. I do not know if they are the company that manufactures or just wholesaler. Will email you, Todd to drop by your shop and more info on these. Thanks for the clarification of info already given.

Last edited by black sc; 08-18-02 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-18-02, 06:47 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
1. Help, I am confused...these,this,that....I need some help understanding what you are saying.

2. So, talking about the lower control arm inner bushings. We retain the outer sleeve of each bushing. And we reuse the inner sleeve of each bushing. Now, on the upper control arm. We retain the outer sleeve of each bushing and are supplied with a new inner sleeve.

3. Installation involves heating up the rubber and removing the rubber portion of the bushings without disturbing the outer sleeves? Outer sleeves are untouched.

4. Is there any material left on the outer sleeve after removal of the inner rubber? This method is better than removing the metal sleeve?

5. You still didnt answer my question about different size diameters on different year SC cars. Upper and lower control arms have different diameters depending on years, right? Do you offer the different sizes?
To: ToyLexMods

1. As Todd progresses through the explanation, he uses different words to describe the different parts of the package and where they are installed on the original parts. If you need further assistance, call 1 800 ABCDEFG (Hooked on Phonics) Learn how to read.

2. Ah, the real reason why you post - "we" do this and "we" do that - stop trying to market on top of Todd - there is a market for your cheap a$$ kit, any guy that bought a beat-up used Lexus will call you - don't worry. As for Todd - I have known of him since he competed with his Honda in IASCA (late 80's/Early 90's) and known him from the IASCA lanes since 1992. I have always known Todd to only deal in quality - Look at his T-Bird - that thing was years before it's time and was a serious quality sounding and looking car. His name is synonymous with quality in the IASCA circuit and I know he doesn't associate his name with crap just to turn out a quick buck.

3. Dude, are you asking a question or making a statement? No wonder you are confused....

4. See above

5. Actually, he did. Todd said he has the proper sizes for the SC, upper and lower, for the years that the kit is offered. As such, he answered you question in long form, I guess in retrospect, Todd might have to "dumb it down" for you.
Old 08-18-02, 10:51 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

WOW....

I think this is getting a bit out of hand. We all know that Todd has a great reputation. His stereo system has little to do with that but sets a picture for who he is. Just because he OWN'd IASCA for a few years doesn't mean he knows everything j/k If that was the case people might think I was smart. Scary!

With that said....If possible, can we get back to the subject of BUSHINGS.

Who has these installed? Who installed them DIY?

I am considering ordering both the Whitelines and the ones from Todd to give them a try. They are both pretty cheap to try them. The real pain is re-aligning my car. The shop I use charges another $85 Bummer.

MW

Quick Reply: SC Control Arm Bushings Available!!