Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

SC Control Arm Bushings Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 05:57 PM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Done!

I have just installed the TM bushings on my lower frame, and have the following comments:

Todd has been FANTASTIC in supporting this product. I had some difficulty in removing the old bushings, but he was there to support me all the way. There is a technique in removing these with a torch. I used MAPP gas, and followed Todds advice and they came out without a problem. I used a round wire brush of a drill motor to clean the "goo" left behind. Worked well. I did not do the uppers as I saw no need, and wanted to retain some ride comfort. So far, it is difficult to notice any increase in a harsh ride. I will change my rear struts this W/E and then have a full alignment.

The lower bushing, in my case the rears, were shot. You cannot tell until you pull the bolts out. If you wear tires in the front, this is likely the reason as there is no way you would retain an alighnment when the bushing "disinigrates"... and it will.

The only issue I had was with the grease seal boot. You have to seperate the ball-joint and my separator ripped the boot. This (boot) is a hard item to find ( I could not), but Todd sent one to me pronto after I told him my difficulty.

All in all, this is a very good kit, but if you don't know what your doing, leave it to a mechanic. If you have no experience with suspensions, BE CAREFUL!! It is not too dificult, but you really need to know what your doing. The good news is I won't worry about the bushings for a long, long time.

BR
Old 09-12-02, 05:02 PM
skiollyp
Driver School Candidate

If I am feeling a side to side movement when highway driving as if the wheels turn a little left right all the time but does not cause a big issue we are talking possibly about the bushings being worn out? I have a ton of miles on my SC but mostly highway still its over 200K and have never done anything with the bushings.
Old 09-12-02, 05:16 PM
928owner
Driver

Question Possibly..

Maybe, and maybe not... I can tell you with that high mileage, the rear lower bushings are shot. Once you take this all apart, you will question the engineering behind the original design. Perhaps it was the best that was available back in the old days, but the vulcanized rubber which is used is not a solid piece, and WILL separate. It reminds me of what happens to a motor mount when it goes bad... lots of movement under stress. The biggest factor would be maintaining alighnment.

If I were you, I would discuss your situation with TM engineering, as Todd knows this issue like the back of his hand.

Please understand, it is very difficult to see the problem until you remove the lower frame bolts, as the alighnment marking washer covers up the rubber. I have less than half the miles you do, and the car has never seen cold climate, so time had taken it's toll in my case.

BR
Old 09-20-02, 11:13 PM
808state
Driver

this is a link to the aussies forum... i think (since i've never seen them in real life) it's a picture of the dreaded bushings. is it 928owner?

http://www.alsc.aus.as/messages/3/751.html?1030268828

yikes..if it is, make your appointment today with todd!

Last edited by 808state; 09-20-02 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-21-02, 01:56 PM
928owner
Driver

Thumbs up YES!!!

808state,

YES! You got it.... Now folks can see what this looks like. I notice you posted the rears as well, those seem to be the "weak" ones.

Now EVERYONE can see the "design flaw". Wonder if Lexus offers "goodwill" to folks who point this out to their service folks.... it sure is a big one, and a LOT of us have had to replace tires prematurely because of this problem.....

Plain and simple, ANYONE who buys a car for $50k+ should not have this type of problem with less than 100k miles. This is not a Chevy. I have less than 80k miles, and have gone through tires like crazy since I bought this car. Alighnment seems to make little difference..., except making the service departments rich....

Good show!

This is an embaressment for Lexus who highly market their "quality".... too bad they haven't understood the definition.... ahh well, live and learn. Now a lot more folks have "learned"......

Old 09-22-02, 11:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the inside diameter is of the control arm?

I want to make a set of bushings out of UHMW plastic,and am hoping to make the parts before tearing everything apart.

Thanks
Old 09-23-02, 12:18 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I changed my front lower arm bushes after getting the "clonk" on the front suspension, we sourced bushes off Rob Hayden from the ALSC (Australian Lexus Soarer Club), these are Nolothane.

The lower arms took about a day to do because one of the bolts had seized solid in the bushing sleeve, otherwise it would have taken 3 or 4hrs.

The difference in handling/steering was dramatic, I never knew just how sloppy my steering had become because of the arms "floating" on the worn bushes, I could not say I noticed any difference in the ride or road noise (my car is very harsh anyway).

There are some photos and details of them being fitted on my site.
Old 10-05-02, 01:20 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by London Bill
I changed my front lower arm bushes after getting the "clonk" on the front suspension, we sourced bushes off Rob Hayden from the ALSC (Australian Lexus Soarer Club), these are Nolothane.

I could not say I noticed any difference in the ride or road noise (my car is very harsh anyway).
I did some pretty extensive research on this already, the blue nolothane units are pretty high durometer, which has led to some complaints from a few users. I'm sure any sporting driver wouldn't object, but the stiff material was what caused it. I know that I myself probably wouldn't object to those, but that's just me...I can tolerate a much stiffer ride than most people that I know. All of my other cars have had control arm bushing upgrades, and they definitely were stiffer than stock.

The sets that we have available were geared to a more comfortable ride rather than all out performance and handling, just for this very reason. (Although they should handle just as good as a stiffer bushing, as the percentage differential is minimal as far as that aspect is concerned). This is not to say the blue ALSC/Whiteline bushings are bad, but one would just have to be aware that they will change the ride noticeably, as do most bushing kits on the market. The ALSC/Whitelines were made for Supras for max handling, not for a cushy Lexus.
Old 10-05-02, 12:52 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The original Mini Cooper had needle roller bearings for suspension articulations;rode great.
Old 10-05-02, 01:27 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

I just completed this mod on my 92 sc400 with 120k miles. The process was fairly extensive as one of the lower control arm sleeve bolts was sized and had to be cut off and replaced. The removal of the stock bushing also tends to make a mess as it is basically being burned out. I also did the front and rear sway bar bushings.

I am very happy with the result. The ride is not much changed but transient reponse of the car is dramatically improved. No more tram tracking or wandering on the highway either. This is definetely worth the money. Also Todd had been great and provided detailed instructions.

Raj Booorgu
Old 11-25-02, 07:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear. You can feel a noticeable difference in the way the car turns in and there is a bit less body roll. My stock fronts were all bent out of shape. And there is no longer that really annoying squeak/creak in the early AM cold from the front when going over bumps. Probably the best $30 I have spent for my car. I'm going to wait for the rear control arm kit to come out and replace front and rears. Great ptoduct.
Old 06-07-03, 09:25 PM
neagan
Rookie

Default Todd's helpful bushing info thread

I JUST FOUND THIS THREAD ON THE BUSHINGS. MY 95 FRONT IS 'CLUNKING' AND I AM CHECKING IN ON THE BUSHING KIT ALTERNATIVES. MY QUESTION IS: DID THIS KIT TURN OUT TO BE THE BEST ALTERNATIVE AFTER ALL????? IT SURE SOUNDS GREAT, BUT I'M OPEN TO CURRENT INFORMATION..... GOD I LOVE THIS WEB SITE!!!!!!!! NICHOLAS
Old 06-30-03, 11:57 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 1992 SC400 with 78k miles more than 50k of that was driven in the trecherous roads of NYC.
Needless to say I go through 1 complete set of shocks every 18 months or so (had the car for about 4 years now and I'm on my 3rd suspension)

i wanted my suspension to feel firm, responsive but not too harsh... I though factory OEM was the only way to go... so I went to the dealer and was quoted a price that I could have bought another 92SC400(ok not quite that much) I came here and found daizen bushings. Price was right and product seemed good so I took the plunge and the result? NOTHING tops the list in terms of satisfaction and I've done quite a few things to my car. I have no squeeks, squeels, noises, clunks, nothing. Just awesome and silky smooth ride in all aspects. Firm but not jarring, smooth but not mushy. It improved the handling of the car vastly. Steering is more precise, i can take corners with more confidence.

I installed front upper, front lower, rear upper, rear lower well actually i installed every bushing they make for my car. I have been enjoying my 100mile commute more and more daily.

Recently I put my car up for test drive for several clublexus owners at the north east CL meet and people were astonished.

I would recommend them highly... actually if you haven't gotten them go get them now... they are a must.

Old 11-23-04, 10:17 AM
speedking
Pole Position

Default New reply to old thread

I know this thread is old....but I'm curious if Todd is still doing the Daizen Sport Tuning upper/lower control arm bushings?

Does anyone know?
Old 11-23-04, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: New reply to old thread

Originally posted by speedking
I know this thread is old....but I'm curious if Todd is still doing the Daizen Sport Tuning upper/lower control arm bushings?

Does anyone know?
daizen is still making the bushings, i don't think they stopped on that at all

Quick Reply: SC Control Arm Bushings Available!!