Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

PPE HEADERS for SC, LS and GS new design GB!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 10:30 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
That's me. I got two rights....

I guess just forward me the other guys address, and my address to him, and then you can shoot us the shipping costs.

-Jay
I will work on this tomorrow.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-14-12, 02:54 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Package received. 1 left 1 right. How do we go about telling if we received the correct type? are there any identifiers between the 400 and 430?
Old 11-14-12, 07:14 PM
GS Trilogy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same question too Andy. I guess we will find out once we install them. Are u going to get new motor mounts since the installation will give us access to them?
Old 11-17-12, 07:02 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I received mine a few days ago. Has anyone installed theirs yet? I'll probably be waiting till next year before I get them in. neegroy seems to be having a problem with the header still hitting the steering shaft??
Old 11-17-12, 11:58 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes , I finally finished last night. Please be aware, if your doing all that work you might as well change out the motor mounts if you already haven't done so. Also I suggest you guys get new exhaust manifold gaskets.

Also when I was taking the o2 sensors out, I noticed the one on the driver side was very very hard to take out. I found out the sensor itself is seized in the hole. Ended up buy new ones ( a pair ). Another problem I found was the bolts itself was rusted, no way of getting to loosen off. Ended up cutting them off. New bolts with washers was purchased for a measly 3-4 bucks.

Now the main problem I'm having is, once you put everything back together. You'll find that steering shaft is hitting the headers itself. When I mean the steering shaft, I mean there's like a metal housing around the steering shaft that's hitting the headers. As you turn and cut the wheel from left to right or either way, it will rub ( steering shaft rubbing on the headers )

This is an huge issue. I don't know if I should cut the metal housing off the steering shaft or take the headers off and and use a burner to heat up and hammer the ( dimple ).

If anyone has any Other ways to work around this, any advise right now on how this work, it'll be really.
Old 11-18-12, 12:33 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks! I thought that issue was taken care of I was hoping for a smooth operation.

I haven't installed mine yet, still wanna replace my motor mounts, and o2 sensors at the same time.
So other then all the issues you had neegroy how long did it take your friend to install them ?
Did you feel a big difference performance and noise wise ?
Old 11-18-12, 05:34 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clos430
That sucks! I thought that issue was taken care of I was hoping for a smooth operation.

I haven't installed mine yet, still wanna replace my motor mounts, and o2 sensors at the same time.
So other then all the issues you had neegroy how long did it take your friend to install them ?
Did you feel a big difference performance and noise wise ?

Besides the fact that the it rubs the steering shaft, everything else's is great. That sweet spot for our cars ( 2-3 rpm ) feels longer and that's when voted kicks in yo! Lmao I mean the torque. It sounds really nice. But than again each car wills sound different depending in what type of mufflers you rocking.
Old 11-18-12, 07:08 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I am working on this guys and will provide some guidance hopefully later today. Pics when you can so we can accurately see the interference.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-18-12, 07:52 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by neegroy
Yes , I finally finished last night. Please be aware, if your doing all that work you might as well change out the motor mounts if you already haven't done so. Also I suggest you guys get new exhaust manifold gaskets.

Also when I was taking the o2 sensors out, I noticed the one on the driver side was very very hard to take out. I found out the sensor itself is seized in the hole. Ended up buy new ones ( a pair ). Another problem I found was the bolts itself was rusted, no way of getting to loosen off. Ended up cutting them off. New bolts with washers was purchased for a measly 3-4 bucks.

Now the main problem I'm having is, once you put everything back together. You'll find that steering shaft is hitting the headers itself. When I mean the steering shaft, I mean there's like a metal housing around the steering shaft that's hitting the headers. As you turn and cut the wheel from left to right or either way, it will rub ( steering shaft rubbing on the headers )

This is an huge issue. I don't know if I should cut the metal housing off the steering shaft or take the headers off and and use a burner to heat up and hammer the ( dimple ).

If anyone has any Other ways to work around this, any advise right now on how this work, it'll be really.
Hi,
Sorry about the issues. The little heat shield tacked to the steering shaft must be removed. A cut off wheel or dremel tool works well.
Old 11-18-12, 02:16 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Hi,
Sorry about the issues. The little heat shield tacked to the steering shaft must be removed. A cut off wheel or dremel tool works well.
Yes i am aware of that now, but the only thing is im worried that if i remove the shield, the shaft itself might seize. and from the looks of the amount of 'play" (or scratch marks on the headers) it needs alot for it completely clear. vertically i believe i need at least 2-3 inches.
Old 11-18-12, 02:27 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neegroy
Yes i am aware of that now, but the only thing is im worried that if i remove the shield, the shaft itself might seize. and from the looks of the amount of 'play" (or scratch marks on the headers) it needs alot for it completely clear. vertically i believe i need at least 2-3 inches.
Get some snap shots to help us out.
Old 11-18-12, 06:48 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

I gotta see when I have time. As of now, the cars sitting at the shop.
Old 11-18-12, 07:53 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Is there any negative effects of removing the heat shield, I mean if its on there with oem headers, replacing the header and putting it closer to the steering shaft with no heat shields will heat things up even more.
Old 11-18-12, 08:26 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think so, actually these headers will run cooler than the stock manifolds due to the coating their made of.
I'm wondering how close is that steering shaft to the header ?
Old 11-18-12, 10:20 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for curiousity sake, I know this is past over............but did any 90-97 LS400 owners make a purchase?

Quick Reply: PPE HEADERS for SC, LS and GS new design GB!