Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the SouthernSS intake system?
I want one NOW!!!
23.81%
Interested, if i can see the production version
66.67%
Maybe down the road
9.52%
Thanks, but i'm happy with what I've already got
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Southern Style Speed introduction and interest thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 04:14 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Southern Style Speed introduction and interest thread

Hello everyone!

I'd like to take the time to officially introduce you to Southern Style Speed, LLC and let your take a chance to see some of the products we are currently pushing towards production. With your continued interest and input we can make this happen.

We started this company to fill, what we perceived to be, shortcomings in the aftermarket support for some of Lexus's most popular vehicles. We began by rethinking what it is an intake system should be doing for these great machines AND how much it should cost to enjoy.

This design needed to accomplish 3 major goals:

1. Produce WHEEL HORSEPOWER - This goal can’t be stressed enough. Time after time, I was let down as industry leaders failed to address key components to producing horsepower at wide open throttle. That is, total length of intake (including plenum), and proper heat shielding. The length of the intake is often ignored or sacrificed to make something work. This was unacceptable to us because, the Lexus engineers did a great job of designing this engine to operate at a certain threshold. We, painstakingly maintained optimum intake length to keep your peak operating torque within that 4800rpm range to provide for a much more "building" power increase. As some of you may know, changing the length of the intake will either shift your power curve up or down, and we didn’t want this engine running out of breath in the upper rpms.
There aren't too many things worse, in my opinion, than a "cold" air intake that ingests hotter air than the stock system. Air operates under principles of fluid dynamics and WILL find a way into any crevice unless that space is sealed off from the source of heat.

2. Sound amazing and look great - As enthusiasts, we love hearing the engine come to life when you smash the pedal and feel the growl from the intake. The hood-sealed, box design we designed allows the sound to escape from the front while keeping ALL of that engine heat out. The system utilizes the lower section of your stock OEM intake system, making installation familiar and easy. Unlike other systems, which remove or replaces this critical portion, this allows us to keep the fresh air incoming while sealing out the engine heat. All engine covers are retainable except for that single piece directly above the intake box, because we don’t call it hood sealed for nothing. It does what it says! There will also be a range of colors in ceramic powder coating.

3. Cost less! - One of the major factors that prompted us to start with the intake was the lack of horsepower produced per dollar. It was our goal to produce more horsepower for less, and I believe we have accomplished that. Our initial price point goal is under $300, brand new, direct from the manufacturer. We are certain you’ll see the value in the system simply from the gains it will produce. It has consistently outperformed the stock system by 8-10whp and other name brand systems by 2-4 whp.

Please feel free to visit our website: www.southernstylespeed.com as well as our facebook page at www.facebook.com/southernstylespeed

Without further adieu, it’s my pleasure to introduce the prototype Southern Style Speed hood sealed intake system for 2006-2013 IS250/IS350 and 2006-2013 GS350/GS450H. Here are a few pics from a 2010 IS installation as well as compiled videos of dyno comparisons:

baseline (on rather weak) 2010 IS250 vs SouthernSS hood sealed intake

2010 IS250 Takeda intake vs SouthernSS hood sealed intake

Last edited by SouthernSS; 07-24-12 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 07:36 PM
M32H32IS
Rookie

Nice results... need any more guinea pigs?
Old 07-17-12, 08:17 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

It's a great intake! Not too much engine noise for those of you who aren't too thrilled with that aspect. It's pretty quiet, and it packs a punch! My car is in the second video, BTW. I got to take a couple blocks with it in my vehicle.
Old 07-17-12, 08:51 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Yes, big props to sushboi! His is250 put down some very nice numbers that day. You never sent me any links to your midpipe videos, what gives? I've been wanting to hear that thing on a non ppe header car for a long time
Old 07-19-12, 08:24 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

bump!!!

looking for some more input on the poll! The responses seem favorable, but I need a larger sample set.
Old 07-22-12, 07:40 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Default Latest PRODUCT development news: 03-09 GX470 armor plate winch bumper

UPDATE!!

just finished tack welding the first of its kind GX470 armor plate winch bumper. It is constructed of all 1/4" and 3/16" carbon steel plate for excellent durability. The main support beams are 2x3 square tube with a wall thickness of 1/4 as well. This thing was made to do WORK!

This is NOT a retro-fit option, where you take a product designed for the 4runner and make it work by carving up your beautiful truck's body. This was designed from the ground up with the GX470 owner in mind. Installation requires absolutely NO cutting of fenders or modification to the grill area like some others. A template and hardware will be provided to neatly trim the fender liner so that it is reversible should you ever choose to go back to stock.

It will feature a hooped light bar over the winch mount area as well as 3/4 " d-ring shackle mounts. We have yet to finish the lower skid portion to ensure all your crucial engine components stay, well, inside your truck should you choose to plow into something not so forgiving.

We also have plans to offer, as an option, a full aluminum skid plate to reduce the weight by about 25lbs for those that are trying to watch their figure.

Tell me what you think so far and check back in this thread for product finalization. I hope to get it in show quality within the next 2 weeks.

Enjoy!!

Old 07-22-12, 09:21 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

I really like your intake!!! I was thinking about the F-Sport intake until I saw this thread. Hope to see your site done soon.
Old 07-23-12, 08:11 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

anything for the ISF?
Old 07-23-12, 09:15 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
anything for the ISF?

Currently, we do not have plans for an IS-F production version of this intake. The market is already saturated with quality designs and feel that our time and resources could be better utilized elsewhere.

Thanks for asking!
Old 07-23-12, 10:55 AM
SGMh
Rookie

I'm interested for a 07 gs450h.
Old 07-23-12, 11:07 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That intake sounds waaayyy more aggressive than stock NICE!
Old 07-24-12, 09:54 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SGMh
I'm interested for a 07 gs450h.

We would LOVE to do some testing on the GS450H, but it looks like you're located in Florida. I'm currently trying to find someone more local to Baton Rouge, LA to facilitate this, but this has proven difficult as the engine configuration is rare and the owner thats willing to do this even more so.

If you ever find your way through Louisiana, give us a shout and we can set something up. Maybe you could spread the word that we would like a GS450H to test, too.

Hopefully we'll make it worth their while.
Old 07-24-12, 09:59 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by two2tone
That intake sounds waaayyy more aggressive than stock NICE!
Thank you! It was a big design consideration on how to seal out the engine heat without trapping the sound. We originally had a completely sealed system, but this proved to be too wimpy for our tastes in the sound department.

We decided that a contoured opening to allow fresh air through the front also did an excellent job of letting the sound out. If you'll listen closely to the second dyno vid (Takeda vs SouthernSS) you can distinctly hear a difference in the two designs. I attribute our slightly deeper and more aggressive sound to the fact that the box design forces the sound to travel upward and to the ear, whereas an open filter design allows it to bounce around in the engine compartment and lose its punch.

Thanks for the kind words again! We're still actively pursuing full scale production of the finest quality. I hope to update this thread soon with news that it has begun.
Old 07-24-12, 07:22 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I think I'd swap my fujita for this I COULD come out to BR if you needed dyno numbers with my setup (PPE headers, JoeZ racing exhaust)
Old 07-27-12, 09:21 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

we would be more than happy to run a test on your car, but I wouldnt want you traveling all the way from Texas just to do so. Thats a heck of a drive!

We have been able to test an IS350 with ppe headers and full custom exhaust. We netted 10whp on one day of dyno testing by installing the SouthernSS intake and lost 12whp on another day with the stock intake back in place.

I was pretty pleased to see that installing the stock intake did, in fact, reduce output. I was pleased in the sense that the SouthernSS intake design is the real deal....not pleased that I lost horsepower, lol.

If you do happen to be planning a trip this way, give me a couple days notice and I can get my shop to set us up some dyno time. I always enjoy reproving the intake because repeatable, provable horsepower is what we're all about.

Quick Reply: Southern Style Speed introduction and interest thread