CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New pads and rotors making scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-24 | 07:21 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Default New pads and rotors making scraping noise

So, just picked up a 2015 ct. Front driver side was making a whirring noise above 60kmh, and previous owner included 2 new wheel bearings, so I tackled that project last weekend. Figured since I'm in there, might as well change out the brakes as well. Fronts are fine no sounds, but the rear pads are making a scraping noise when I drive.

Thought it was maybe the backing plate or something, since that's what a majority of answers on google said it was...jacked up the car, took the wheels off, pushed the backing plate back, while spinning the rotors, and still got the scraping noise. Took off the calipers, spun the rotors, inspected and it looks like the pads when pushed up close against the rotors is what's causing the noise. So, I separated both pads from the rotor a bit (2-3cm) and spun the rotors, no noise. Did this for both sides, and same thing for both sides.

Obviously the pads wouldn't stay the same distance apart when I start driving, but after i threw the wheels on, spun them while still jacked up, they were quiet as a mouse, but once I got the car back on the ground, and drove a bit, the scraping sounds came back.

Using Centric 120.44173 Rear Rotors and Power Stop 17-1423 Rear Pads

Any idea on why they'd be scraping like that? Or would I need to bed them in a bit more for the sound to go away?
Old 10-03-24 | 06:15 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Only things I can think of off the top of my head is that the wear indicators are installed incorrectly, or the spring pad separators aren't installed, or the caliper isn't compressed enough.
Old 10-03-24 | 06:43 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by morganc
Only things I can think of off the top of my head is that the wear indicators are installed incorrectly, or the spring pad separators aren't installed, or the caliper isn't compressed enough.
I don't think it's the wear indicators, I thought that as well, but there's no way for it to make contact with the rotors.

I think it may be the separators aren't doing their job maybe? Maybe not enough tension or something and it's causing the pads to sit closer than normal. I reused the oem ones instead of using the ones that came with the new pads, but even then, when testing and just separating the pads using my hands took quite a bit of force, so not sure if those separators could generate that much tension.

Possibly a combo of both seating clips and separators. I reused the oem clips as well, and maybe there's too much friction with the pads causing the separators to not do their job. I lubed both the contact points on the pads and the clips though, so I don't know. Might take it all apart again and use new everything.
Old 10-04-24 | 03:54 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Just a quick update, took the pads and all the clips out. replaced it with the new clips from the kit along with the pad separator clips. It's still making scraping noises when pushed up against the pad. Next time i get it on the jack i'll try to record a video. Just got to live with the noise until the next brake change i guess.
Old 10-06-24 | 10:54 AM
Clutchless

Did you remove, clean and regrease the caliper slide pins? One or more of them could be sticking or stuck and causing the noise.

Did you bed in the new brake pads? Most benefit from a bedding in procedure.
Old 10-06-24 | 01:39 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Did you remove, clean and regrease the caliper slide pins? One or more of them could be sticking or stuck and causing the noise.

Did you bed in the new brake pads? Most benefit from a bedding in procedure.
Yep, cleaned and added new lube to all 4 slider pins, and I did bed them in a bit. Didn't do anything too crazy like 70mph or anything, but 50mph was the highest I went, and broke hard.