CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 06:26 PM
LexFather

(MOVES to 24" screen)

I love it inside and out.....glad they didn't skimp out on brakes..
Old 09-09-09, 06:27 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
Looks funny to me.
Kind of reminds me of some sort of saber tooth transformer.

I'm not sure if I like that front bumper yet, seems to be too busy, but then again it is a concept, and concepts are usually much more extreme than the production version.
Old 09-09-09, 06:28 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesnt even fit on my 22" monitor

Moves to 32" TV
Old 09-09-09, 06:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Pictures are way too small to see any details
Old 09-09-09, 06:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to be honest...I think this is the best looking Lexus in nearly a decade, outside of the LF A. There is a lot of originality and unmistakable Lexus identity in the design, the details are perfect (even if this is just a concept), the proportions are perfect, and I think the overall design is a knockout.

Even if you scale the wheels down, add door handles, a normal grille, and tone down some of the other elements I think this thing is a home run. What is most striking is the similarities to the LF A, inside and out. Look at the dash for example.

It's so reassuring and exciting to look at this concept IMO. The ISc, HS, and RX had me very worried and while the current gen LS, GS, and ES are attractive they are a bit bland and I wondered where they would go from here. This concept gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Great job Lexus
Old 09-09-09, 07:06 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the iPhone/iPod Touch as headrest screens is pure genius lol. Wonder if that feature will see production.
Old 09-09-09, 07:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things that I absolutely love about this concept:

1) The way that the chrome is applied on the bottom of the greenhouse. The fact that it doesn't wrap all the way around the glass and the shape of it's application is unique, attractive, and eye catching

2) The way that the chrome in the greenhouse and the bottom of the doors play off each other. The angles and shapes seem to be in perfect harmony and add a lot of visual interest to the side of a car that is somewhat flat.

3) Somewhat aggressive wheel arches (by Lexus standards)

4) The detail in the rear bumper. The unique use of textured and sculpted surfaces, creases, mesh, and gaps is again...unique, attractive, and eye catching.

5) The tail lights. The shape and the mix of colors and materials looks outstanding. LEDs, chrome outline, and detail within the lamp is truly spectacular.

6) The head lights. Not only are they the signature 3projector LEDs, but the exaggerated feline shape has been made even more angular and aggressive. These look like a mix between crystal and fine cutlery.

7) The detail in the front bumper. Much like the rear end, the unique use of textured and sculpted surfaces, creases, and depth really creates a dramatic and aggressive effect. This trend of vertical cut outs at the edge of the bumper is one that I really like. The LED fogs tucked into these crevices is another unique and spectacular design cue.

8) Unique play with the greenhouse in a mix of glass, metal, and shape.

Also, is that a new version of Remote Touch?

Overall, I feel like this is a relatively dramatic step for Lexus design when you really look at the details in this car. I have been openly critical of Lexus' design in comparison to that from the competitors but this car represents a completely different direction. As many of us know Lexus has always been a company that is about the details, and IMO, those details have not been quite brash enough in recent years. As the competition has become more bold and more unique, Lexus has stuck to slab sided designs, conservative details, and an attractive, though somewhat uninspiring finished product.

This LF-Ch is true to L-Finesse design philosophy with an overall organic shape and somewhat flat flanks a surfaces, but there is significantly more aggression, uniqueness, flair, and interest in the details of this concept than we have ever seen before. The way that surfaces play off each other and how creases are placed to add emphasis to the design...this is a new era of thinking at Lexus. The overall shape is very organic and natural looking, and as soon as you take in the shape of the car, your eye is instantly drawn to the bumpers, the chrome application, the fender flares, the lamps, etc. Currently Lexus asks you to get up close and personal before you start to appreciate the details. The design in this car requires you to stop and stare then, after a few seconds, your eyes start to wander as you take in and appreciate the details of the design.

IMO, this is very bold, very unique, and very promising. Congrats to Lexus for (finally) pushing the envelope a bit. IMO, the end result is stunning.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-09-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Using the iPhone/iPod Touch as headrest screens is pure genius lol. Wonder if that feature will see production.
That is sick!! I missed that.
Old 09-09-09, 07:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on the metallic buttons, etc. although I doubt these will see production.

Cool idea on the iPod RSES! I didn't notice that they were Apple products until the high-res versions were posted.

Overall looks really neat and interesting.
Old 09-09-09, 08:16 PM
xioix
Racer

At 1st I thought the rear screens were just regular screens

ROFL @ it being iPod Touches, I liked that part
Old 09-09-09, 10:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for the super size pictures

my dsl modem is frying over here

I'm lovin' it
Old 09-09-09, 10:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I'm going to have to take back my previous statements. It's certainly not boring, but it's certainly not a step forward for Lexus design in any way whatsoever. It looks like an IS hatch, which is nice because the IS is the best looking car in the lineup, but it's also a three-year-old design. Basically everything from the C-pillar forward looks like IS with a body kit :/ Three years later, and we see a concept for a car that looks basically like a hatch version of the IS. I really wish we could see something new and fresh from Lexus. Again, it's a great looking car... but it's nothing new.
Either your opinion greatly differs ... or you aren't looking at the same pictures. I would recommend you closely examine the details of this car, especially the front and rear end.

If you constantly keep introducing new styling into a lineup, you greatly risk alienating most of your buyers and losing their loyalty. Why don't more enthusiasts understand this very simple point? Continually introducing significantly new styling also kills the resale value for older models and negatively impacts a brand's reputation.

Audi redesigns are always minor evolutions of previous models. Same thing with BMW models, and to an extent Mercedes models. The Infiniti G sedan/coupe and FX look almost exactly the same as their previous generation predecessors.

Why is only Lexus being singled out here for trying to establish a cohesive styling identity? Also why are the new styling elements on this car being ignored?

The vertical air intakes and brake ducts, the complex curvature and surfacing details of the front and rear bumpers, the "liquid metal" LED headlamps, the dramatically-sleek "jewel in a crystal" tail lamps, the rear end curvature and cut lines, the grille ... all of these styling elements are nowhere to be found on the IS. Even if some of these don't make it to production, it won't look like an IS. There are enough styling elements to differentiate it from an IS.

The interior also is WAY different than the IS. It builds upon some of the new interior styling themes seen on the 3RX and to an extent the LF-A.

This is also besides the fact that the IS will be redesigned soon.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
True but it's not like the GS, LS, RX, etc etc looks exactly alike. The CTh has the exact same V hood lines/triangular-ish headlamps etc etc etc. Especially in dumbed-down production form i feel like this will look WAY closer to the IS than any of the other L-Finesse cars do to each other
Triangular-ish headlamps as the IS? The headlights are more trapezoidal/rhomboid than anything else. They most closely resemble the concept headlamps of the LF-A II and LF-A roadster.

Many Lexus models have the V hood lines, not just the IS. The RX, LS, and GS also have them. It's a general Lexus L-Finesse styling cue.

You are making a very far-reaching assumption saying that the production version of this hatch will look very close to an IS.

We'll talk when the production version of this concept is unveiled.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have to be honest...I think this is the best looking Lexus in nearly a decade, outside of the LF A. There is a lot of originality and unmistakable Lexus identity in the design, the details are perfect (even if this is just a concept), the proportions are perfect, and I think the overall design is a knockout.

Even if you scale the wheels down, add door handles, a normal grille, and tone down some of the other elements I think this thing is a home run. What is most striking is the similarities to the LF A, inside and out. Look at the dash for example.

It's so reassuring and exciting to look at this concept IMO. The ISc, HS, and RX had me very worried and while the current gen LS, GS, and ES are attractive they are a bit bland and I wondered where they would go from here. This concept gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Great job Lexus
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Things that I absolutely love about this concept:

1) The way that the chrome is applied on the bottom of the greenhouse. The fact that it doesn't wrap all the way around the glass and the shape of it's application is unique, attractive, and eye catching

2) The way that the chrome in the greenhouse and the bottom of the doors play off each other. The angles and shapes seem to be in perfect harmony and add a lot of visual interest to the side of a car that is somewhat flat.

3) Somewhat aggressive wheel arches (by Lexus standards)

4) The detail in the rear bumper. The unique use of textured and sculpted surfaces, creases, mesh, and gaps is again...unique, attractive, and eye catching.

5) The tail lights. The shape and the mix of colors and materials looks outstanding. LEDs, chrome outline, and detail within the lamp is truly spectacular.

6) The head lights. Not only are they the signature 3projector LEDs, but the exaggerated feline shape has been made even more angular and aggressive. These look like a mix between crystal and fine cutlery.

7) The detail in the front bumper. Much like the rear end, the unique use of textured and sculpted surfaces, creases, and depth really creates a dramatic and aggressive effect. This trend of vertical cut outs at the edge of the bumper is one that I really like. The LED fogs tucked into these crevices is another unique and spectacular design cue.

8) Unique play with the greenhouse in a mix of glass, metal, and shape.

Also, is that a new version of Remote Touch?

Overall, I feel like this is a relatively dramatic step for Lexus design when you really look at the details in this car. I have been openly critical of Lexus' design in comparison to that from the competitors but this car represents a completely different direction. As many of us know Lexus has always been a company that is about the details, and IMO, those details have not been quite brash enough in recent years. As the competition has become more bold and more unique, Lexus has stuck to slab sided designs, conservative details, and an attractive, though somewhat uninspiring finished product.

This LF-Ch is true to L-Finesse design philosophy with an overall organic shape and somewhat flat flanks a surfaces, but there is significantly more aggression, uniqueness, flair, and interest in the details of this concept than we have ever seen before. The way that surfaces play off each other and how creases are placed to add emphasis to the design...this is a new era of thinking at Lexus. The overall shape is very organic and natural looking, and as soon as you take in the shape of the car, your eye is instantly drawn to the bumpers, the chrome application, the fender flares, the lamps, etc. Currently Lexus asks you to get up close and personal before you start to appreciate the details. The design in this car requires you to stop and stare then, after a few seconds, your eyes start to wander as you take in and appreciate the details of the design.

IMO, this is very bold, very unique, and very promising. Congrats to Lexus for (finally) pushing the envelope a bit. IMO, the end result is stunning.
Agreed completely with everything; couldn't have said it better myself .

Although I'm sure the HS will sell well enough here in North America, I really wish we were getting the CT here instead.

There are definitely some styling cues from the LF-A, and a few minor new styling cues. This is a great thing to see. Notice the steering wheel design is similar to the LF-A. Also, this car has shift paddles behind the wheel. I also noticed the shape and style of the seats is similar to the LF-A.

The chrome application is very clever. Lexus is (finally) starting to really add more attention to detail in terms of exterior details. The chrome for the most part is applied only horizontally; it makes the car look wider, longer, and lower than it really is. The chrome applied to the front lip is very nicely done.

The proportions and balance of the different styling elements really are done very well, and fit together almost perfectly in harmony.

The headlamps and tail lamps really are amazing IMHO. The headlamps look like a 3-LED unit, with what also looks like an LED side indicator lamp, and the headlamp itself looks like it's made out of liquid metal. The blue-silver color and detail is also dazzling, along with the slight touch of a smoked-out color. I would LOVE to see that in production.

The tail units are equally stunning to me. They have really amazing detailing and shapes. The dramatic L-shape of the units themselves, the liquid metal detailing, the slight smoked tone, the sleek LED arrangement, the touch of blue color mixed with the red and liquid metal ... just dazzling, like a jewel embedded in a crystal. Just as the headlamps, I would love to see these go to production.

I really like how the touch of blue in the head and tail lamps plays with the blue Lexus badges.

The interior looks really sporty, aggressive, and futuristic with some very nice balance and proportions.

Minus the concept elements on the car like the wheels, some of the interior chrome, the lack of production mirrors, and the slightly busy front bumper ... I would love to see pretty much everything else make it to production.

Also the iPod touch units in the headrests are very clever. It would awesome if somehow this made it to production with some sort of venture with Apple; it would definitely be a selling point for younger buyers. Even if they don't, it still looks cool.

I definitely must say Lexus has reached a new level of design with the LF A and now this CT/LF-Ch concept.

The clever use of chrome, the superb attention to detail in terms of surfacing, depth, lines, curvature, sculpting, creases ... the way all the details are in play with each other and how balanced and proportioned the overall design is while being aggressive and yet still a Lexus. This all points to a new level of thinking in terms of design philosophy and overall importance of design.

I think we are FINALLY beginning to see the real fruits and rewards from the dedicated Lexus design studio that Toyota established years ago to separate Toyota designs from Lexus.

Another great thing is that this does not look like any Toyota model out there.

Toyota design is moving towards more crisp, angular, and triangular lines, shapes in terms of styling.

Lexus design is moving towards organic, natural, complex, and flowing designs with a very high level of attention to detail, and emphasis on proportion and design balance in terms of elegance, subtlety, and aggressiveness. Lexus is moving to make itself stand out more compared to Toyota design, and also compared to the competition. This is truly the sort of design that a premium luxury brand needs.

I agree also that this gives a lot of hope for future Lexus designs. It gives me hope that the 4GS could possibly be a knockout and could blow away the new Infiniti M in design. In terms of overall design and attention to detail, this Lexus LF-Ch concept is at least a step above the Infiniti M.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-09-09 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 11:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the full press release from Lexus:

Originally Posted by Lexus
LEXUS PRESENTS THE LF-Ch CONCEPT

World debut for new hybrid power compact concept car at Frankfurt

- Concept proposing the first Lexus full hybrid for the European premium compact segment
- Advanced interior design with asymmetric dashboard and Remote Touch controls
- Blacked-out B-pillars and concealed rear door handles create the look of a pillarless coupé
- L-finesse exterior styling with powerful surfacing and hand-sculpted details
World debut at the 2009 Frankfurt motor show

Making its world debut at the Frankfurt motor show, the Lexus LF-Ch full hybrid concept is Lexus’s first approach to the competitive European premium compact segment.

It reflects the growing demand for cars that are smaller and more fuel and CO2 efficient, but with no compromise in levels of refinement and driving pleasure. By next year the compact segment is expected to claim the largest share of the European premium car market.

The LF-Ch concept reaffirms Lexus’s commitment to Europe, combining compact dimensions, stylish five-door, full hybrid technology and low emissions to satisfy the most demanding customer requirements and to appeal to a new, younger generation of customers.

Exterior design
The LF-Ch concept presents a powerful evolution of Lexus’s L-finesse design philosophy. Rooted in Japanese culture, L-finesse is expressed in every aspect of the car, not only in the visual harmony between the interior and exterior design, but also in the combination of leading-edge engineering and technology with a user-friendly simplicity of function.

The designers focused on the careful juxtaposition of opposing major and minor elements. Intriguing contrasts are created between the powerful, machine-like overall surfacing of the bodywork and the painstaking detail of even the smallest elements, creating a synergy between technologically driven design and a fluid, hand-sculpted quality.

A new, bolder Lexus grille design sits above a deep, full-width bumper and air dam, giving a perfect balance of precision and power. The sharply sculpted, aerodynamic front wings overlap the front bumper to create deep, front brake-cooling air intakes and give the LF-Ch a powerful and purposeful wide-track stance.

In profile, the tapered side glazing, a muscular, rising beltline and a sharply truncated rear overhang project the car’s premium compact character. The steeply raked windscreen, long flowing roofline, blacked-out B-pillars and rear doorhandles integrated in the C-pillar window trim combine to give the appearance of a sporting pillarless coupe.

At the rear the trailing edge of the roof overhangs the rear window to create an integrated rear spoiler. The tailgate section has a pronounced step, which flows from the muscular wheelarches and is anchored by the wraparound tail lamp design. Aerodynamic detailing of the lower bumper smoothes airflow from beneath the car and feeds ventilation to the rear brakes.

Subtle finishing touches include discreet Lexus hybrid blue badging and sharply tapering chrome mouldings. The harmonious synergy of the design is further expressed in the contrasting, lively yellow exterior finish and calming blue interior illumination.

Interior design
The principles of L-finesse are carried through to the interior where again a powerful simplicity harmonises with hand-crafted quality in the detailing to create a calm, efficient and elegant design.

The cabin features a strongly asymmetric dashboard that is firmly driver-focused with outstanding ergonomics. The driver’s needs are seamlessly anticipated in several surprising elements, for example, when the car is started a greeting is presented on the navigation screen and an ambient lighting pattern appears in the headliner, creating a sophisticated lounge feel.

Extensive use of semi-aniline leather, polished aluminium, wood and soft-touch materials reinforces the theme of harmonious contrast in the dashboard, door panels and seating. The design of the seats is inspired by high quality furniture, with exposed metal frames, lightweight leather and grained black wood used in inter-related layers, shaped to reflect the intrinsic nature of each material used.

The driving position is low and well-supported, with a wide-grip steering wheel with paddle shift controls and an instrument binnacle housing large twin dials embellished with a turbine motif.

To help keep the driver’s focus on the road ahead, distracting instrumentation and switchgear has been kept to a minimum by using Lexus Remote Touch controls, as first seen in the new RX 450h. Using a multi-information display on top of the dashboard, Remote Touch works like a computer mouse, letting the driver access control and customise a range of information, entertainment and vehicle set-up programmes.

As with every Lexus, hospitality is at the heart of the ownership experience. To this end, the LF-Ch’s comprehensive on-board entertainment package includes iPhone docking for rear seat passengers.

Powertrain and driving performance
Allied to a wide track, long wheelbase and low centre of gravity, the LF-Ch’s full hybrid powertrain is engineered to deliver all the performance customers expect from a premium compact hatchback, while at the same time returning low fuel consumption, CO2 and NOx emissions.

With the benefit of the full hybrid technology of Lexus Hybrid drive, the car can be driven in a fully electric EV mode, a power option that is not available to drivers of mild hybrids. This allows for urban driving with minimal noise and zero emissions.

Lexus LF-Ch Concept dimensions

Overall length: 4,300
Overall width: 1,790
Overall height: 1,400
Wheelbase: 2,600
Tyres (front and rear): 225/35R20
So not just an iPod touch, but iPhone docking. Sounds really cool.
Old 09-09-09, 11:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

MISTER TWO - don't link in GIGANTIC pictures again. thank you.
Old 09-10-09, 09:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

those new pics make it look amazing... it looks like it could be awesome without show kit too .

Just dont change it too much for production version.

And I hope it ends up being FWD, as much as RWD is sporty and all, small RWD cars have no space at all, making it unusable for me...

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut