balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man does everything have to be a hybrid now gimme a gas version and ill be sold
Old 02-12-10, 04:00 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The taillights look decent. Not as good as the concepts, but at least they don't look exactly like the HS's or RX's.

Here is an interesting read from Autoblog Italy:

Lexus 200h CT: The first teaser

Published: Friday, February 12th, 2010 by Dario Montrone

Here is the first teaser of CT Lexus 200H, a compact car that the premium brand of Toyota will officially launch next month at the Geneva Motor Show. The image focuses on the initials of the model that breaks with the traditional nomenclature of Lexus. According to leaked rumors in recent months, the CT 200h should not present major differences with the Lexus LF-Ch, concept car presented in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The Lexus 200h CT will be long approximately 430 cm wide, 179 cm and 140 cm high. The main peculiarity of this C-segment car will be the mechanics, because the CT Lexus will be on sale only in hybrid versions, a system inherited from the Toyota Prius and Lexus 250h HS. At the time of the debut version will be available 200h, then reach the most powerful 300h and 400h. Toyota has decided to focus sull'ibrido to attack Audi A3 and BMW 1 Series on a ground where competitors in Germany are currently absent.

Not sure if any of that is true (ie the info on the 300h and 400h), but this is an exciting little hatch. I could see this car replacing the HS, in the near future.

Last edited by (Cj); 02-12-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 04:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
CT200h should have exact same powerplant as Toyota Auris HSD Hybrid.
That means 1.8l engine.
Auris HSD Concept uses the same powertrain as a Prius. It could be a good chance the Prius powertrain then will be in the CT200h. Performance will be average, but fuel economy should be great.

If the CT is coming to North America, the question is will it have the same powerplant or get another one? If it gets a different engine I just hope it's not the same system as the HS.

Originally Posted by (Cj)

Not sure if any of that is true (ie the info on the 300h and 400h), but this is an exciting little hatch. I could see this car replacing the HS, in the near future.
If a CT300h and 400h are true, that would mean potentially a 2.5L 4 cyl for the CT300h, and a 3.0L or 3.5L V6 for the CT400h. As long as the old 2.4L AZ engine is not used, it should be good.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-12-10 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 04:08 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

That means 1.8l engine.
It'll more likely have the same powerplant as the Prius. I'm not sure what the Auris has? Is it more powerful than the Prius's 1.8L setup or the same?

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Regarding the powertrain, this quote from a Toyota Europe press release gives reason to be optimistic:

http://www.toyota.eu/ABOUT/Pages/news.aspx

This has to mean it's more advanced than the system in the HS, at least I hope so.
I'm guessing the "second generation" "more advanced" system, is the system currently found in the Prius. If there is a 300h, then I'm guessing their developing a new more efficient and powerful system using the new AR 2.5L or 2.7L engines. The proverbial 400h would probably use the same engine as the RX450h.
Old 02-12-10, 04:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It'll more likely have the same powerplant as the Prius. I'm not sure what the Auris has? Is it more powerful than the Prius's 1.8L setup or the same?

I'm guessing the "second generation" "more advanced" system, is the system currently found in the Prius. If there is a 300h, then I'm guessing their developing a new more efficient and powerful system using the new AR 2.5L or 2.7L engines. The proverbial 400h would probably use the same engine as the RX450h.
Yes, the Auris HSD Concept uses the same 1.8L setup as the Prius.

In terms of the "second generation" system, that's what it sounds like. It's nice to know that the CT will most likely be using the latest engines.

Here's hoping they update the HS system sooner rather than later and finally get rid of that 2.4L engine.
Old 02-12-10, 05:33 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the Auris HSD Concept uses the same 1.8L setup as the Prius.

In terms of the "second generation" system, that's what it sounds like. It's nice to know that the CT will most likely be using the latest engines.

Here's hoping they update the HS system sooner rather than later and finally get rid of that 2.4L engine.
They'll probably update the HS to a new engine this year or next like they did with the original ES250 and the GS300.

I think the HS would really hit a sweet spot in the market with a little more horsepower, and I would think that when and if the HS hits the 300h designation the ES will move upmarket.

My hope is that the next ES which is coming soon will be more luxurious and higher quality. Lexus should consider introducing the next gen ES to Europe to go head to head with the A6.
Old 02-12-10, 05:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

They'll probably update the HS to a new engine this year or next like they did with the original ES250 and the GS300.

I think the HS would really hit a sweet spot in the market with a little more horsepower, and I would think that when and if the HS hits the 300h designation the ES will move upmarket.

My hope is that the next ES which is coming soon will be more luxurious and higher quality. Lexus should consider introducing the next gen ES to Europe to go head to head with the A6.
Updated engine for HS would produce both more power and performance along with more refinement and better fuel economy.

As for the ES to Europe, huh? No way that would work. The ES is designed specifically for the North American market (Lexus Japan doesn't have the model), and a few other markets.

The GS competes directly with the A6 in Europe. I agree the ES should become higher quality and more luxurious.

The GS meanwhile needs to become more differentiated from the ES; being more sporty while also being more upmarket and premium compared to the ES.
Old 02-12-10, 06:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tails look a lot like a Civic, though I do like them. As always, it's cool to see that the CT name is really sticking. Not that we didn't know all along, but it's always cool to see it confirmed .

I'm very excited about this car and hope that the Prius motor is not the only option. This is realistically something I would consider buying an a year or two, but 0-60 in 10 seconds will never cut it, even if it got 100MPG. If they drop a hybrid version of the 2.5L or 2.7L I4 then I am sold, but certainly not on the Prius engine.
Old 02-12-10, 07:14 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Updated engine for HS would produce both more power and performance along with more refinement and better fuel economy.

As for the ES to Europe, huh? No way that would work. The ES is designed specifically for the North American market (Lexus Japan doesn't have the model), and a few other markets.

The GS competes directly with the A6 in Europe. I agree the ES should become higher quality and more luxurious.

The GS meanwhile needs to become more differentiated from the ES; being more sporty while also being more upmarket and premium compared to the ES.
I wonder why Lexus didn't debut the HS with the new AR engines, since they're so much better? Maybe to help clear out remaining AZ inventory?

I don't think introducing the ES to Europe would be a bad thing. I was looking at Audi's UK website, and surprisingly the A6 slots in their lineup more or less like how the ES slots in the lineup here in the US. The price of the A6 there is only a little more than the price of the A4 (just like how the price of the ES is only a little more than the IS here).

If the ES used better materials throughout, it could be sold in Europe (of course with an upgraded "Euro-spec" suspension). The GS is priced more along the lines of higher end E class and 5 series models.

If Lexus Europe really wanted to make a splash and increase sales adding a sporty ES to the lineup wouldn't hurt. The GS should continue to cover the top end and have an available V8, just like in the US. The ES should have an I4 model (maybe uptuned 2.7L) , hybrid (2.7L + electric motor), V6 (current 3.5L), and maybe even V6 hybrid (RX engine) trims to compete in Europe against the I4/V6 FWD/AWD A6. The GS can have an array of V6s (2.5L/3.5L/hybrid) and a V8 in order to compete with the E class and 5 series in Europe.

Anyway to get back on topic, whats your opinion of the CT200h being sold in America?

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Tails look a lot like a Civic
You're right, I was wondering where I've seen that taillight design before. They're not exactly the same but they remind me of the Euro Civic.

Old 02-12-10, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

That means 1.8l engine.
hopefully... those tails look good!
Old 02-12-10, 07:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

compared to European models, Lexus offers only high end variants in Europe. They need more lower end hybrids.
Old 02-12-10, 08:02 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
compared to European models, Lexus offers only high end variants in Europe. They need more lower end hybrids.
They need more low end everything ;-)

It seems that in Europe people prefer having high classy interiors, but don't really care for excessive horsepower. Surprisingly in the US its the opposite, because people will buy cars just because of hp numberz here even if the interiors are pure crap.

Lexus needs a new strategy for Europe.

Last edited by (Cj); 02-12-10 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 08:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

They need more low end everything ;-)

It seems that in Europe people prefer having high classy interiors, but don't really care for excessive horsepower. Surprisingly in the US its the opposite, because people will buy cars just because of hp numberz here even if the interiors are pure crap.

Lexus needs a new strategy for Europe.
we care that it is cheap, yet looks expensive ;-).

but make no mistake, Lexus can not sell 200k cars in Europe within few years... they are actually do it right, gradually increasing sales, and this new model will help a lot. 4cly hybrids is what they need, at affordable prices (comparable to german diesels).
Old 02-12-10, 09:02 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
we care that it is cheap, yet looks expensive ;-).

but make no mistake, Lexus can not sell 200k cars in Europe within few years... they are actually do it right, gradually increasing sales, and this new model will help a lot. 4cly hybrids is what they need, at affordable prices (comparable to german diesels).
Since you're in Europe, do you personally think bringing the ES there to compete with the entry level FWD A6 would be a good idea?

Actually we need a European version of this thread.
Old 02-12-10, 09:11 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

1.8 sounds right, and with the hybrid power, they named it 200.

This has to mean it's more advanced than the system in the HS, at least I hope so.
I dont think so. Second gen means exhaust heat recirculation and that other thing that recycles exhaust.

So this is finally the lexus equivilant of the prius. Im expecting 50 MPG too

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut