CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 01:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

i am glad they decided on fwd platform.. it was only way to go. european use these cars as family hatches - this is to us what camry class is to you in the usa. with rwd, there is simply not enough space in the back.
Old 02-23-10, 01:19 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Forget the rumors of a CT350 or whatever. Where did those even come from? Putting a V6 in this car would absolutely wreck this platform. This car was clearly designed around one powertrain and one powertrain only.
Not necessarily. Lexus has copyrighted the CT 300h and CT 400h designations, thus implying larger-engined, more powerful variants in the future. For more, see http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-c-prem...t-200h-394367/ .
Old 02-23-10, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TripleL
1Sick looks like you are correct on both guesses
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Good catch . That's awesome if Sport mode switches the power meter to a tach. Could we see LFA-style moving gauges in the CT? I think so .

The new colors sound awesome as well.
Yeah that is pretty nifty.

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no such thing as matrix platform ;-). their mid sized platform is shared among half of the cars that toyota sells, including HS250h...

i understand that americans do not see many hatches, but this looks good.

Lexus has been pretty clear on the new platform and new suspension, no toyota hatchback in europe has wishbone suspension.

and 1 series and A3 are best hatches in europe... nothing comes close... alfas go out of style within 2 years after they are introduced and nobody buys them due to poor reliability and awful resale values...

... targeted competition is Audi A3 and BMW 1 series.
Of course it being a small hatch means the internet dumbasses (which means in person they are equally dopeish) will say (this comment is going on what I've read on Autoblog and other forums so far not anyone on here)
-its a Yaris rebadge
-its a Matrix rebadge

just like they say/said

-the HS is a Corolla rebadge

just like they say

-the LS is a Avalon rebadge.

It is becoming more apparent to me if you have an I.Q in the single digits a Lexus is not for you.

Its in my sig. People don't read. Those that hate Lexus see a small Lexus, automatically think Toyota and start posting. We see it all the time.

Thus why Adrian and I are wondering what they consider a "new"Platform as the brochure states..
Old 02-23-10, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Fine, be snarky about it. Let's argue about the semantics of "platform". Lexus clearly used the Matrix XRS as the "platform" for the CT.

The Matrix XRS has the same suspension configuration as the CT and is very similar in terms of packaging (5-door hatch) and dimensions. Do you really think they went out of their way to develop a "new", virtually identical platform to one they already had in their stable?

Ford also says the Transit Connect rides on a "dedicated commercial platform" when we know it's underpinned by the Focus. It's all just marketing psychobable. What else are they supposed to say, the truth? I mean do you really want to read in a Lexus brochure that their exciting new car is underpinned by a Toyota that came out in 2007? No. They're just doing their job and trying to make it sound as good as possible. The "platform" may be "new" to the Lexus lineup, maybe "new" to Europe, but it is most definitely not "new" to Toyota overall.
it does not really work that way, but you are free to think what you want... toyota sells >30 different 5 door hatches around the world btw.
Old 02-23-10, 01:26 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm upset it wasn't as edgey as the concept but it definitely looks better than the A3 and 1 series (main competition). Maybe I'm bias, I actually like hatches and liftbacks. The front kinda reminds me of the older Mazda 6.

How does a CVT have a tach?

I want more pics of this thing.
Old 02-23-10, 01:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Looks are subjective, but the RX is the best-looking CUV in it's class IMHO. Sales-wise the RX is a huge smash hit.
To me, when compared to the 2RX, the 3RX looks like it's swollen or retaining water or something. The old one was just more sleek and athletic looking overall.

Overhang is not that big; it's a big difference between this and the CR-Z. I think you are being fooled by the small wheels, which make the body and overhangs appear bigger.
I guess we will just disagree here. That overhang looks freaking huge.

These are really low quality pictures, and the car is in white at that, which won't show the car's lines and curves very well. This is in addition to the fact that all modern Lexus vehicles don't photograph very well, as all the details and curves don't appear in photos, but can be seen in real life.
Agree here, though I am simply disappointed in how bland the overall car is, not things like the details which often show up in person.

I tried to fix some of the things that I don't like in the concept- changed the proportions in the rear, extended the window line, shortened the front overhang, etc. The car still looks bland, IMO.

My edit on top, real thing on bottom.
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-ctcomparo.jpg  
Old 02-23-10, 01:28 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thus why Adrian and I are wondering what they consider a "new" Platform as the brochure states..
My educated guess: The Lexus CT is the first vehicle on the next-generation Toyota Corolla/Matrix/Auris platform.
Old 02-23-10, 01:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jruhi4
My educated guess: The Lexus CT is the first vehicle on the next-generation Toyota Corolla/Matrix/Auris platform.
Good guess!

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
To me, when compared to the 2RX, the 3RX looks like it's swollen or retaining water or something. The old one was just more sleek and athletic looking overall.

I guess we will just disagree here. That overhang looks freaking huge.

Agree here, though I am simply disappointed in how bland the overall car is, not things like the details which often show up in person.

I tried to fix some of the things that I don't like in the concept- changed the proportions in the rear, extended the window line, shortened the front overhang, etc. The car still looks bland, IMO.

My edit on top, real thing on bottom.
Mike I'm assuming by reading the brochure they made it less swoopy to give it pretty good interior dimensions (they state near best in class/best in class numbers). I figure with a 3 door they can make things more stylish. Looking at your pics, it hit me how straight the roofline is.

I'm just happy with the interior and it gets remote touch without the full quirkiness of the HS.
Old 02-23-10, 01:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Perfect...they can loop a foot off the front overhang and redistribute it out back. More usable space
Old 02-23-10, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Perfect...they can loop a foot off the front overhang and redistribute it out back. More usable space
I actually was surprised the front overhang was not longer considering its FWD, a hatch and a hybrid.

Thank goodness it doesn't look like this. This is BAD BAD BAD front overhang in a hatch.

Old 02-23-10, 01:44 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I actually was surprised the front overhang was not longer considering its FWD, a hatch and a hybrid.

Thank goodness it doesn't look like this. This is BAD BAD BAD front overhang in a hatch.

I couldn't agree more. Lexus did a far better job on this front than Honda.
Old 02-23-10, 01:52 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Not necessarily. Lexus has copyrighted the CT 300h and CT 400h designations, thus implying larger-engined, more powerful variants in the future. For more, see http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-c-prem...t-200h-394367/ .
Are you kidding? The US patent and trademark authorities have rooms full of books that are full of trademarked names that are never used, and never even intended to be used. They just do it for their own protection and peace of mind.

Every so often a report pops up on a blog stating that Car Company X trademarked Model Name Y in the US (which is only available in Europe or Japan), and fanbois go all crazy with "OMG we arez gettin t3h Jdm!!!!", and that car never ever comes to the US. But let someone put the Toyota 3.5L V6 in a Matrix, not to mention hybrid equipment, maybe even AWD, and let me know how that works out.

Originally Posted by spwolf
it does not really work that way, but you are free to think what you want... toyota sells >30 different 5 door hatches around the world btw.
Nice blow-off. What exactly "does not really work that way"? Enlighten me, please. And I could care less about the other Toyota models right now. We're talking about the CT and Matrix XRS here.

Fact: Both have IDENTICAL wheelbase.
Fact: Both have IDENTICAL suspension.
Fact: Both have IDENTICAL drivetrain layout (FF, 1.8L gas engine)
Fact: Both are 5-door hatches (and dimensionally similar in other major measurements).

So in light of all that, you're telling me that Toyota designed a "new" FF, Mac strut front/double wishbone rear, 2600mm wheelbase, 5-door hatch "platform" for the CT which happens to be IDENTICAL to a FF, Mac strut front/double wishbone rear, 2600mm wheelbase, 5-door hatch "platform" they already have developed and in production?? Who's stupid here, Toyota, me, or you?

I was initially excited about the CT and today's leaked presser bits until I thought about it and did some googling. Mechanically, the CT is a reskinned Matrix XRS chassis with a Prius drivetrain. That is not at all a bad thing, but it's not exactly the most exciting combination they could have come up with, and there's not much "new" about it. I still give them credit for building a good-looking car that will probably be the highest quality in its segment. I'm not so thrilled about the prospects of it handling at the top of its class anymore though. The Matrix XRS isn't class-leading when it comes to ride/handling, but maybe they tuned the suspension to be a little sharper than in the Matrix.

I'll be very curious to see professional reviews and evaluations of its performance.

Last edited by SecPole14; 02-23-10 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 01:52 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the rear door is too small, and the C pillar/hoffmeister kink looks weird
Old 02-23-10, 02:03 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rock it.
Old 02-23-10, 02:08 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Are you kidding? The US patent and trademark authorities have rooms full of books that are full of trademarked names that are never used, and never even intended to be used. They just do it for their own protection and peace of mind.
Granted, that's possible as well. Yet it's just as possible that 300 and 400 versions of CT will be built in the future.

But let someone put the Toyota 3.5L V6 in a Matrix, not to mention hybrid equipment, maybe even AWD, and let me know how that works out.
Toyota has already stuck the 2GR-FE 3.5-liter V6 into one JDM variant of that Corolla 2600mm wheelbase platform, the Blade Master. I do know they tried the same thing with the Matrix but its different front end structure for North American crash regulations meant it didn't fit. The Lexus CT front end structure may be different enough from the Matrix's that it may be able to accommodate the 3.5-liter V6. Or perhaps we're talking the 3-liter 228-hp 3GR-FE V6 that is used in China and the Middle East...

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut