CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 08:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Caldina is one of my favorite JDM Toyotas...probably top 3. Great looking car!
Old 02-25-10, 12:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading through the CT brochure, I found some interesting tidbits.

The CT200h will be able to travel 2km on electric power only, at speeds of up to 45 km/h. So this shows the CT's hybrid system is updated compared to the HS.

The hood and hatch are made of aluminum, and the battery pack sits ahead of the rear suspension.

The front engine mounts have lateral stabilizers to minimize vibration and harshness. This is pretty interesting as typically engine mounts are there to suppress vertical, not lateral movement.

The CT also has lateral dampers front and rear in the suspension to minimize vibration, increase comfort, and improve steering feel.

From the sounds of it, this is a MUCH more serious effort than the HS.
Old 02-25-10, 12:38 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

CT200h officially due in 17 or so hours, Lexus_EU reports through Twitter.
Old 02-25-10, 12:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also according to the CT brochure, the vehicle will be sold around the world.

Chances are pretty good that the CT is coming to North America. The question then is, will it keep the same engine or get a different one? Also, what effect will this have on HS sales?
Old 02-25-10, 01:03 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Also according to the CT brochure, the vehicle will be sold around the world.

Chances are pretty good that the CT is coming to North America. The question then is, will it keep the same engine or get a different one? Also, what effect will this have on HS sales?

I'm hoping it'll have totally different driving dynamics compared to the HS. I'm also willing to guess that it'll be a B segment vehicle, a "size" smaller than the HS.
Old 02-25-10, 01:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's got lateral dampers front and rear, and supposedly the front and rear suspension is unique to the HS and not shared with other Toyota/Lexus models.

I'm pretty sure it will have better handling than the HS, which is great because the HS itself has some decent handling.
Old 02-25-10, 05:05 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope when they introduce this in NA that they position it above the HS. To me the HS is the new entry level vehicle in the Lexus lineup, at least it should be based on the styling. They should have a larger engine for the NA market and push this as a sportier option with great fuel efficiency.
Old 02-25-10, 05:43 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

The CT200h will be able to travel 2km on electric power only, at speeds of up to 45 km/h. So this shows the CT's hybrid system is updated compared to the HS.
Interesting. The HS's EV mode works up to 20 mph, which equals 32 km/h (The CT's 45 km/h equals 28 mph). On the other hand, the HS's EV mode, I was told at the press preview, could work for 3 or 4 miles (5-6½ km).

A couple of possibilities:

- The North American CT's EV Mode will work at speeds up to 30 mph (as opposed to the HS's 20 mph) but at a lower driving range (1-2 miles, versus 3 or 4 miles). Perhaps Lexus has decided that a higher speed at the expense of less range is the way to go, and this might work its way to HS eventually.

- Perhaps Europe prefers EV Mode with higher speed and lower range, while North America (given our greater driving distances) sacrifices EV top speed to gain greater range, and, thus, North America's CT will have the same EV Mode calibration as HS (20 mph for up to 3-4 miles). Or, perhaps, Lexus Europe is simply being conservative with their 2 km (1¼ mile) range estimate.
Old 02-25-10, 06:31 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

From the sounds of it, this is a MUCH more serious effort than the HS.
Well the CT is going to be global car, so I guess they felt that they needed to make it more special. But in reality it is just a rebodied Prius, with a different suspension setup. I don't think that it took too much effort to make but that's not a bad thing. A 50mpg Lexus is a good thing in my book.

The HS on the other hand was a poor effort for a "first dedicated hybrid". The CT should have come out a year ago and the HS should have never existed in the first place.
Old 02-25-10, 06:35 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I hope when they introduce this in NA that they position it above the HS. To me the HS is the new entry level vehicle in the Lexus lineup, at least it should be based on the styling. They should have a larger engine for the NA market and push this as a sportier option with great fuel efficiency.
Although the HS is ugly and cheap looking it in no way is the new entry level. It may be the new entry level FWD sedan, but the IS still slots below it price wise. The hybrid components in the HS are pricy which is why the price of the HS is so relatively high for what it offers.

The CT will probably be priced below the HS and IS in the US. No one is going to pay $35K for a hatchback in the US.

If the CT comes to the US it'll probably be priced around $30K. The Prius with leather and 17 inch wheels costs $27K, so the CT will probably cost a little bit more than that.
Old 02-25-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
HS is positioned between the IS and ES. It's base msrp is $34k and it hits 45k loaded.
The is 250 is the entry level Lexus and with a ct 200 name that is below 250 it will be under the is.
Old 02-25-10, 08:10 AM
LexFather

Good observations everyone.
Old 02-25-10, 11:15 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The only similarity is that both have 4 wheels, are hatches, and have 5 doors.
And as I detailed earlier, they also share a common "platform"/chassis (note the use of quotes). Also, the 1.8L gas engine is a common denominator here.

Again, this isn't a bad thing. It's not a slam or knock against Toyota/Lexus, I'd be the last person to do that unless truly warranted.

The Matrix (chassis) and Prius (drivetrain) are to the CT what the Camry is to the ES. This is a necessity at this price point/vehicle class.
Old 02-25-10, 11:34 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No ventilated seats
Old 02-25-10, 11:40 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi

No ventilated seats
Ventilated seats generally aren't available in this class of car anyway. Not a big deal.

Nice shots. The car looks great inside and out. Still holding out hope it will be somewhat entertaining to drive.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut