CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 07:22 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^So the CT200h's maximum power output is the same as the Prius at 134hp, and the 0-60mph acceleration figure is 9.8 seconds, which is the same as the Prius too. Then why is the mileage so much lower than the Prius's combined 50mpg? Such a huge drop for nothing just doesn't make any sense. At 42mpg it's far from impressive for its size and performance.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-13-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 07:30 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

42MPG is disappointing. I was expecting high 40's up to 50MPG. Especially considering how much boasting Lexus did about eco-credentials in that press release.
Old 09-13-10, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Was hoping for 50 MPG. 42 MPG is still best for a luxury ride though.

Lots of small details, 89 possible LED lights and Bamboo speakers. Also the CT is produced alongside the RX 450h and HS 250h in the Kyushu plant.

Seems to be a well thought out vehicle. Pricing will be CRUCIAL.

Entering production at the end of 2010, the CT 200h will be available in the first quarter of 2011.
Subscribe

Last edited by LexFather; 09-13-10 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 07:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Weight is probably the biggest reason why the CT 'only' gets 42. The Prius is a bit hollow feeling.
Old 09-13-10, 07:50 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Weight is probably the biggest reason why the CT 'only' gets 42. The Prius is a bit hollow feeling.
But if the CT is heavier then why are the 0-60 acceleration figures identical for the CT and the Prius? Both have the same power ratings.
Old 09-13-10, 07:50 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Weight is probably the biggest reason why the CT 'only' gets 42.
That's precisely what I figure. A heavier car, yet the same 0-60 as the Prius, fuel economy's gotta give...
Old 09-13-10, 08:01 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jruhi4
That's precisely what I figure. A heavier car, yet the same 0-60 as the Prius, fuel economy's gotta give...
But it's not like the CT's engine or motor is tuned to be any more powerful than the Prius. Same 98hp engine, same 134hp total output.

Yes the CT should be heavier than the Prius given the (supposedly) better sound-proofing, but I'm guessing Lexus simply overrates the CT's acceleration figure to avoid making the CT's performance look bad on paper next to the Prius.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-13-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Well lets also remember the Prius is strictly for MPG and family transport. The CT is for MPG, luxury and fun. The CT's sport mode surely aggressively changes throttle response for lower MPG. For example there is a huge difference in throttle response in my GSh between sport/normal and in sport I do find myself speeding and driving more aggressively which hurts MPG.

If many buyers are going to use Sport often (looking at who Lexus is aiming for) then MPG will be lower based on driving habits.

50 MPG would have been GREAT to advertise but if the CT would have driven more boring, well I can live with 42 MPG.

In reading that long press release it seems they really did their HW in regards to driving feel.

I have to say I am much more attracted to this than the HS for a sweet Lexus daily for zipping around town.
Old 09-13-10, 08:19 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well lets also remember the Prius is strictly for MPG and family transport. The CT is for MPG, luxury and fun. The CT's sport mode surely aggressively changes throttle response for lower MPG. For example there is a huge difference in throttle response in my GSh between sport/normal and in sport I do find myself speeding and driving more aggressively which hurts MPG.

If many buyers are going to use Sport often (looking at who Lexus is aiming for) then MPG will be lower based on driving habits.

50 MPG would have been GREAT to advertise but if the CT would have driven more boring, well I can live with 42 MPG.

In reading that long press release it seems they really did their HW in regards to driving feel.

I have to say I am much more attracted to this than the HS for a sweet Lexus daily for zipping around town.
Is there a regulation that says if a car has different power/ECU modes, then the most powerful/sporty mode must be used for fuel economy testing? If so, I'm impressed that the Prius can get 50mpg in Power mode! I always thought Toyota/Lexus hybrids are tested for fuel economy in Eco mode.

Also 0-60 acceleration should have nothing to do with throttle response, but just maximum power output (particularly since no gear shifting is involved here). Since the CT is likely heavier than the Prius I think Lexus overrated the CT's acceleration figure on purpose.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-13-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 08:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorely disappointed. Most likely removing it from my next car to buy list.
Old 09-13-10, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Is there a regulation that says if a car has different power/ECU modes, then the most powerful/sporty mode must be used for fuel economy testing? If so, I'm impressed that the Prius can get 50mpg in Power mode! I always thought Toyota/Lexus hybrids are tested for fuel economy in Eco mode.

Also 0-60 acceleration should have nothing to do with throttle response, but just maximum power output (particularly since no gear shifting is involved here). Since the CT is likely heavier than the Prius I think Lexus overrated the CT's acceleration figure on purpose.
You have good points. The MPG figure is what Lexus figures, it hasn't been actually tested by the govt. Since CT drivers will likely drive more aggresive than a Prius driver I assume they lowered the MPG rating to not upset owners who buy it and get lower MPG than advertised.

I totally agree with your weight argument. 50 MPG would have been GREAT to advertise.

Europeans will love this part.

What is truly brilliant about the CT200h is that it emits only 96g/km of carbon dioxide. That qualifies it for free annual road fund licence/registration and the only car in the executive sector to do so.
F-sport seems to be coming too

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...port-leak.html
Old 09-13-10, 08:55 AM
LexFather

There is a difference in SPORT mode in the CT compared to the Prius.

Sport mode focuses on dynamic driving, maximizing the CT 200h's high performance and handling. Engine revs are held higher, and throttle and power steering settings are modified to give a faster response to driver inputs. Sport mode also provides less intrusive operation of the vehicle stability control and traction control systems.
Higher engine revs=lower MPG. So along with weight (not sure of weight yet) this could be why MPG is lower.
Old 09-13-10, 08:57 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a difference in SPORT mode in the CT compared to the Prius.

Higher engine revs=lower MPG. So along with weight (not sure of weight yet) this could be why MPG is lower.
Yeah, but that would be assuming that the fuel economy testings were done in sport/power modes, which I doubt...
Old 09-13-10, 09:01 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Gearing might be more aggressive too.
Old 09-13-10, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Yeah, but that would be assuming that the fuel economy testings were done in sport/power modes, which I doubt...
I assume it was mixed, ECO, Power, Normal, Sport.

Gearing might be more aggressive too.
Simulated gearing since its a CVT I think we all are on the right track here.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut