CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
is that bamboo ?

so now we have the true prius equivalent, with slightly lower mpg and better handling.

is america ready to accept a $32-34000 base price, $45000 loaded, slow but efficient hatchback?

It might do ok in europe. America is a big ?
This is not a Prius equivalent at all. Nor is the HS.

Did you get the price sheet? Please post it for we can see it.

Old 09-13-10, 12:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like it!
However,I don't do the miles to make a hybrid worth it but if I did,I'd stronger consider getting a CT 200h.
Old 09-13-10, 12:26 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
not really - Prius 15" wheel version with less equipment gets 89, and apperantly Euro Lexus PR announced that some CT200h versions will have 15" wheel option which will also get 89 . It is just that Lexus UK did not want that option for their market as they dont see it selling since it is lux car.
Thanks, you're right about CO2 ratings being different on the two versions of CT200h. On the other hand, according to jruhi4's quote from Lexus Europe's PR (not sure where to find the actual PR though), the CT200h's estimated fuel economy in Europe is rated at 3.8L/100km, which is actually better than the Prius's Euro rating of 3.9L/100km. And also in jruhi4's quote is a 0-100km/h acceleration figure of 10.3 seconds, which is also better than the Prius's 10.4 seconds. Perhaps the Prius in Europe was tested with 17" wheels, while the CT200h in Europe was tested with 15" wheels? It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.
Old 09-13-10, 12:49 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Thanks, you're right about CO2 ratings being different on the two versions of CT200h. On the other hand, according to jruhi4's quote from Lexus Europe's PR (not sure where to find the actual PR though), the CT200h's estimated fuel economy in Europe is rated at 3.8L/100km, which is actually better than the Prius's Euro rating of 3.9L/100km. And also in jruhi4's quote is a 0-100km/h acceleration figure of 10.3 seconds, which is also better than the Prius's 10.4 seconds. Perhaps the Prius in Europe was tested with 17" wheels, while the CT200h in Europe was tested with 15" wheels? It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.
You're definitely an astute observer. I haven't had a chance to go as in-depth as you on the Prius vs CT comparisons.

To answer your question on the CT numbers from Lexus Europe PR, Lexus Europe put out a Press Brochure for the Paris Auto Show akin to the one that leaked out a week early for the Geneva Auto Show last spring. Unlike the open Toyota / Lexus / Scion USA Newsroom ( http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/default.aspx ), the Lexus and Toyota Europe Media Sites are more selective and bureaucratic and only allow registered media in. In the course of putting together my write-up for the CT200hForum.com site ( http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...-releases.html ), I decided to, on a whim, pop in there, and I was quite surprised to find that treasure trove of detailed info that Lexus Europe had posted since Friday 10 September. At first, I thought that merely making those comments on the U.S. Press Release article would suffice, but, as I had a chance to read that virtual brochure, I found many more little differences, to the point that a follow-up article about the European Press Brochure is in the works. Better yet, Lexus USA gave me the green light to reproduce the Press Brochure in question. Stay tuned...
Old 09-13-10, 01:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is not a Prius equivalent at all. Nor is the HS.

this is not the same engine as the prius?

i never said the HS was equivalent to the prius. But the CT is as close as we'll get to a prius.

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-13-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 01:14 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Better yet, Lexus USA gave me the green light to reproduce the Press Brochure in question. Stay tuned...
Sorry, but scratch that. The brochure is a "protected PDF", and, as such, I can't post the pictures. Perhaps someone with more than my rudimentary computer knowledge can, but I simply can't figure out how. I will still write the follow-up Europe article, but it just won't feature the actual brochure images.
Old 09-13-10, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
this is not the same engine as the prius?

i never said the HS was equivalent to the prius. But the CT is as close as we'll get to a prius.
Using the same engine does not make a car an equivalent. Everyone shares within families. The Maxima, G37 and V-6 Altima are all V-6 sedans with the same engines aimed at different people and the strategy works.

I have not driven the CT yet but there are huge differences;
-Prius is all about economy
-Prius has no luxury
-Prius has unique hybrid shape
-Prius drives like a Camry, unexciting
-Prius does not have a lot of the options the CT has
-Prius has unique interior shape
-Prius has better MPG

Just b/c they are both small hatches does not make them equivalents

-CT is based on a new platform it seems
-CT has 4 different driving modes, with Sport mode giving you a different instrument cluster with a Tach
-CT offers a entry level luxurious interior
-CT has remote touch
-CT offers different leathers and leatherette
-CT will offer F-sport parts
-CT has a low center of gravity for a sportier drive
-CT looks more like a traditional hatch
-CT offers real wood touches if optioned

It seems under initial reviews the CT is really a hot hatch while the Prius is all about MPG. Those are off the top of my head. I am sure there are more.
Old 09-13-10, 01:41 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

it looks more like a birch wood than a bamboo. Bamboo has more of a green/yellow tint doesnt it?
Old 09-13-10, 02:36 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If it starts under $30k, i would go look at it.
Old 09-13-10, 03:09 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrMut
If it starts under $30k, i would go look at it.
I'm willing to bet that it will, although "under $30K" might mean a $29,995 base model MSRP minus the destination charge...
Old 09-13-10, 03:53 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Bamboo

The CT 200h awards customers unprecedented customization opportunities through the widest diversity of color schemes yet offered in a Lexus model. The interior is available in a choice of Black or Gray leather trim and upholstery, and three NuLuxe finishes –Black, Ecru or Caramel. These finishes are complimented by a choice of Matte Wood, Silver Metallic or Bamboo dashboard accessory inserts installed by the dealer.
This is what the press release says. Interesting fact: bamboo is a grass, not a tree/wood. Based upon bamboo flooring, it appears to come in all kinds of shades/colors (naturally or stained).

I grow black bamboo & it is right sexy.
Old 09-13-10, 04:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Somewhat disappointing combined MPG rating. This is still best-in-class and definitely better than the HS, but I think many of us expected a rating close to the Prius.

I must agree with SICK, pricing is going to be CRUCIAL. Pricing will make or break the CT in the US. In Europe this model should do fine. A lot of things in the CT were designed specifically with Europe in mind.
Old 09-13-10, 04:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can forget Euro fuel consumption figures (60mpg/us), EPA is a lot more realistic and that is exactly what owners in Europe will get once they hit the road.
Old 09-13-10, 05:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I cant wait to see this in the showroom.

All in all. The CT200h Ultra Premium package should top out below C$50k. Seeing the Mark Levinson is one expensive add-on.

112 mph (180 km/h), is quite limiting. Guess seeing its eco-friendly, you are not suppose to be burning much fuel. Guess when I get this, I will stick to 120-140 km/h when need be.

I just wonder what the mpg will be if someones traveling at a constant 140+ km/h on the highway. Guess I'll have to test that out.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-13-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 05:38 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Thanks in large part to Mister Two's gentle prodding, I just finished a write-up on European vs U.S. differences for CT 200h:

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...ariations.html
In the midst of writing our recent The Official Lexus USA CT 200h Press Releases Front Page story, this author, on a whim, decided to check out what, if anything, our counterparts in the Lexus Europe Media Room were up to. To our surprise, they had put together a Press Brochure for the upcoming 2010 Paris Auto Show and posted it, as a "protected" PDF Document, on Friday 10 September. Unlike the much more broadly open Toyota USA Newsroom, the Lexus Europe Media Room is only accessible to registered media. And the PDF's "protected" status means that we can't post it as we'd hoped to. The somewhat similar initial CT 200h Press Brochure was famously scanned and leaked by WorldCarFans.com ahead of the 2010 Geneva Auto Show last winter, but this author's level of computer literacy isn't high enough to do that. Instead, we'll note that many passages and photos are shared with the far more easily accessible U.S. Press Releases, and that many of the Euro-centric tidbits we unearthed were already incorporated into our prior write-up. More of those remain, however, and the next several paragraphs will bring them to you.

While automotive CO2 (carbon dioxide) emissions numbers are largely irrelevant to us here in North America, they are hugely vital in Europe as the basis of numerous vehicle taxation schemes. A base CT 200h with the Prius-like 15" wheels has CO2 emissions of 89g/km (grams per kilometer) combined city/highway, a match for its Toyota Auris HSD and Prius siblings. The Extra Urban (presumably suburban highway use) drops this to 85g/km, while the Urban (city) cycle shows emissions of 90 g/km. Bear in mind, though, that the full hybrid powertrain can move the CT for up to 2 kilometers (1.25 miles) producing zero emissions.

Lexus dealers will begin accepting dealer orders this coming November 2010, and pricing is expected to begin from less than 30,000 Euros in France. Worldwide prices will vary due to specification differences and local market factors, but that guesstimate supports this author's personal contention that U.S. CT 200h base model pricing will be no higher than $29,995 plus destination charge and local taxes.

Externally, the headlight options are described as single halogen standard or optional twin LED low beam lamps. An earlier CT200hForum.com article reminds us that Europe will offer Cerulean Blue (8U9 colour code), Ultrasonic Blue (8U1 colour code) and Black Opal Mica (214 colour code) exteriors unavailable in North America for its initial model year, as well as smaller 15" and 16" wheel options again unavailable in the U.S.

Inside, we learn that the thick-grip steering wheel's diameter is 370mm (14.5"), with a lowered, 21 degree steering angle, and that the quick steering ratio of 14.6:1 and just 2.7 turns lock-to-lock gives the CT 200h the most direct steering in the Lexus model range. Then come the notable differences in interior seating and trim options. While the U.S. Press Releases strongly imply that the 8-way power seats with memory function and power lumbar support adjustment will be standard, the European Press Brochure clearly states that 6-way manual seats (shades of the 1st-generation Lexus IS) are standard in the Old Continent, with the power seats optional. Speaking of the power lumbar support, its range of adjustment is given as 30mm (just over an inch). Heated seats are included in Europe as part of the 8-way power seat/memory/power lumbar option and will likely be standard in Canada, but they are tipped to be optional in the U.S. As to European trim options, there will be a choice of Black, Ivory or Grey leather trim and upholstery, and five fabric finishes: Black, Red, Blue (which already met with the Seal seal of disapproval), Ivory or Brown. Available dashboard inserts are Tropical Bamboo, Brown Ash Burl Wood (which may or may not be the U.S. Matte Wood) and Storm Black in lieu of Silver Metallic.

While North America's navigation system option is merely trilingual (English, Spanish and French), its European counterpart benefits from a powerful, 40Gb HDD capacity, making it one of the fastest, most accurate systems on the market. It covers the whole of Europe, and includes the traffic information infrastructure of each country. The system features voice recognition, with four additional languages including Russian, and a menu that can be operated in 14 languages including Cyrillic characters.

As to audio possibilities, North America's two options (the standard, entry level Lexus Audio System, which includes 6 speakers and a single-CD player and the 10-speaker Lexus Premium Audio System upgrade that also includes an in-dash 6-disc CD changer and a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) eight-channel, full range class D amplifier) are joined by a third European option, a Mark Levinson Premium Surround Audio System featuring 13 speakers and an 8-channel ML amplifier and ‘Sound Library’ facility, using Compact Disc Data Base technology to transfer and store music files up to a 10Gb capacity. Alas, Lexus will not be offering the latter option in the United States (and probably not in Canada, either).

CT 200h is designed to achieve maximum 5-Star Euro NCAP and NCAP (USA), and 6-star J-NCAP (Japan) crash test ratings.

Like their U.S. counterparts, the Europeans refer to Preliminary Specifications. Although much of the information is the same (albeit converted to metrics) there are some additional numbers worth mentioning. Both Europe and the U.S. share a final drive ratio of 3.267, so that does not explain the seemingly large jump between U.S. 0-60 mph and European 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) times mentioned in our earlier article. Fuel tank capacity is 45 liters, or 11.9 gallons. The eagle-eyed might wonder why the coefficient of drag is given as 0.28 in Europe and as 0.29 in the U.S. Chalk that up to the Euro-standard 15" wheels versus our more stylish but less aerodynamic 17" wheels. Those wheels (and their smaller tires) probably also go a long way in explaining why the European kerb weight is given as 1370 kg (3014 lbs) versus the U.S.'s 1422 kg (3130 lbs). The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is either missing or inadvertently cut off from the U.S. specs, but Europe cites it as 1790 kg (3938 lbs). Subtract the curb weight from this figure, and it means that the maximum passenger and cargo combined weight the CT 200h can handle is somewhere in the 368-420 kg (809-924 lb) vicinity.

Finally, European fuel consumption cycle figures are cited as 3.8 liters per 100 kilometers in the Combined city/highway cycle, 3.7 l/100 km in the Extra Urban (highway) cycle and 3.9 l/100 km in the Urban (city) cycle. Those figures can be easily converted to either U.S. or U.K. (Imperial) miles per gallon ratings via the ultra-handy Mark Porthouse Fuel Consumption Conversion Calculator.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-13-10 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added text for members so they don't have to click :)

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut