CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 07:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Thanks for the info. I just Google'd a bit and found that the Prius's Power mode does exactly the same thing too, boosting voltage from 500 to 650 volts in Power mode. So in this regard the CT's Sport mode is not any more special than the Prius's Power mode, contrary to what MT's article suggests.
http://www.toyota.ie/innovation/prius/

Since the Prius's Power mode also sharpens throttle response, I guess the only thing special left for the CT's Sport mode is its adjustment to power steering, which MT finds un-sporty still.
that MT article is full of errors... CTh also doesnt ride on HS platform..

I also doubt that the cars weight the same... they might be similar but not the same, as in the end, they are quite different in their own way. I dont think US MPG is anything but safe number from Lexus, before actual testing is done, otherwise since CTh will have same or better city mpg, it would mean highway mpg would be in 30's which make no sense (and European results would also be different as well).
Old 09-26-10, 07:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

CTh also has different suspension and it eases up on VSC when in sport mode... I would think cars would not be anywhere close to the same to drive, other than being fwd hybrids.
Old 09-29-10, 07:04 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top Gear doesn't like it at all. Harsh ride, identity crisis, gluey steering.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/t...e-lexus-ct200h
Old 09-29-10, 07:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Top Gear doesn't like Lexus in general.

Top Gear doesn't like hybrids in general.

Identity crisis? I don't think Top Gear can identify with this car...
Old 09-29-10, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Top Gear doesn't like Lexus in general.

Top Gear doesn't like hybrids in general.

Identity crisis? I don't think Top Gear can identify with this car...
lol

I haven't driven the car yet but my points are

1. It goes back to the point the NYTimes writer said about the LFA that Lexus is in a "Damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation with a lot of people in regards to making the brand more sporty. People bash Lexus for being boring then bash Lexus for trying to be sporty.
2. I do agree that it will be tough to make a Prius drivetrain fun. It simply is very low on power. Optional engines need to come fast.
3. The CT has an all new suspension which was tuned for a sportier flavor. Contrast this with the bull**** "Sporty Hybrid" CRZzzzzz which uses a SOLID REAR BEAM in its suspension. Yet of course some gloss over that fact.

To be honest I'm not surprised. While I understand LExus need to go to this market, especially in Europe, I much rather them make a coupe or something else.
Old 09-29-10, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol

I haven't driven the car yet but my points are

1. It goes back to the point the NYTimes writer said about the LFA that Lexus is in a "Damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation with a lot of people in regards to making the brand more sporty. People bash Lexus for being boring then bash Lexus for trying to be sporty.
2. I do agree that it will be tough to make a Prius drivetrain fun. It simply is very low on power. Optional engines need to come fast.
3. The CT has an all new suspension which was tuned for a sportier flavor. Contrast this with the bull**** "Sporty Hybrid" CRZzzzzz which uses a SOLID REAR BEAM in its suspension. Yet of course some gloss over that fact.

To be honest I'm not surprised. While I understand LExus need to go to this market, especially in Europe, I much rather them make a coupe or something else.
this car is meant for europe... top gear is from UK. 136hp hybrid is simply not slow in Europe... its 0-100kmh is faster than average premium hatch sold there, let alone normal hatches.

You will rarely see positive review from UK press when it comes to more expensive Toyota/Lexus vehicles... for instance, Toyota Aygo won car of the year from Top gear, and IMHO it is worst car in Toyota lineup. Keep in mind that my family had Toyota dealership and I drove all of them on regular basis... Aygo made no sense and had too many compromises from the start.
Old 09-29-10, 09:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

smart people on autoweek say embargo on first drives is oct12... they also say lexus expects 20k sales per month in europe.

how stupid and clueless can you possibly be... what do you do at these press events? eat food and listen to ipod? 20k per month is 10x more than what Lexus currently sells in Europe, and 20k per month would outsell whole lineup of Lexus in US.
Old 09-29-10, 09:15 AM
LexFather

20k per YEAR not month right? US goal is 12k a year, which is 1k a month.

Surely a typo somewhere.
Old 09-29-10, 09:20 AM
venom21
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
this car is meant for europe... top gear is from UK. 136hp hybrid is simply not slow in Europe... its 0-100kmh is faster than average premium hatch sold there, let alone normal hatches.

You will rarely see positive review from UK press when it comes to more expensive Toyota/Lexus vehicles... for instance, Toyota Aygo won car of the year from Top gear, and IMHO it is worst car in Toyota lineup. Keep in mind that my family had Toyota dealership and I drove all of them on regular basis... Aygo made no sense and had too many compromises from the start.

The UK is part of europe...

Its fine with the current horsepower rating, plenty enough for Europe. The problem is when you market the car as sporty, people expect it to perform, especially the badge snobs over there. The CT just can't perform like a sporty car with such a weak engine and so much weight to haul around no matter what fiddling you do to the suspension, steering etc..
Old 09-29-10, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
The UK is part of europe...

Its fine with the current horsepower rating, plenty enough for Europe. The problem is when you market the car as sporty, people expect it to perform, especially the badge snobs over there. The CT just can't perform like a sporty car with such a weak engine and so much weight to haul around no matter what fiddling you do to the suspension, steering etc..
well kind of... well equipped CT200h is actually 40-100kg LIGHTER than diesel premium hatches like A3, 1 series, C30, etc.

Here is test between Audi 2.0 TDI and C30 TDI... 140 and 136hp diesel power... real world 0-100kmh in 10-10.3 seconds, and consumption between 6.6l and 6.3l.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-...0d-376007.html

On the other hand, Prius tests at 4.5l real life consumption... So CTh will have equal or near equal acceleration and in real life spend 2l less fuel, thats a LOT for us europeans!

Now Audi and Volvo and others have "green" models which have small engines, cost more and should match Prius... they have 105hp engines and yet AutoBild called it a "LIE" as they tested these so called premium hatches with 105hp diesels and found 5.3l to be normal driving result of brand new this years A3 1.6l eco model. Again Prius in same magazine does 4.5l "without really trying".... And this is without automatic transmissions which would bring the cost up.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-...k_1160998.html

And these cars are SLOW, ride on harsh tires and nobody compared about it being slow because this is Europe... it is common to have small engined premium cars.

Whats more, with more and more regulations, bigger cats are put in and diesels are becoming slower, more consuming and more expensive.

So for average european luxury buyer, 0-100 in 10s and 4.5l in spacious body and luxurious interior, is class leading.
Old 09-29-10, 11:01 AM
venom21
Instructor

Another review, this from Autocar. Not exactly encouraging.

Very hard to recommend, dull to drive...They prefer the 118d by a lot.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...T-200h/253056/
Old 09-29-10, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Very hard to recommend, dull to drive...They prefer the 118d by a lot.

it is unlikely you will get positive review from UK mags, they like those models that dont make any sense .
Old 09-29-10, 01:05 PM
venom21
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is unlikely you will get positive review from UK mags, they like those models that dont make any sense .
Like the LFA?
Old 09-29-10, 01:09 PM
LexFather

Lexus mag review summary

-Lexus makes boring cars, its well built but its boring to drive I wish they could make a sportier Lexus

(Lexus listens, makes sportier car)

-Lexus needs to stick to making boring cars, I don't understand a sporty Lexus, my head is exploding

Old 09-29-10, 03:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like mediocre reviews across the board.

you can say they're all haters, but there's gotta be a lot of truth too.

reviews like the one above are why I believe lexus will not even reach 8000 sales/yr in the US.

Americans will not embrace an anemic expensive compact car with useless interior space.
god damn. the sticker price is over $40000 as tested. Put it back on the failboat

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-29-10 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut