CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 10:36 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

that is one pretty ugly front 3/4 profile.
Yeah especially when it has the oversized projector beams splitting the LED light strip into two sections. The headlights with the all LED bulbs look much better.
Old 10-12-10, 11:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

[IMG].http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/lexus/ct200h/2011/fd/2011_lexus_ct200h_actf34_fd_1005101_717.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-10, 11:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

^^^ just sucked on a lemon.
Old 10-13-10, 12:08 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know if Lexus simply put better-fitting wheels on this car it would look so, SO much better
Old 10-13-10, 12:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

In Sport mode, with the more direct steering engaged and a less-restrictive stability control program, it’s a rather enjoyable package when the road narrows and starts to twist and turn. With a MacPherson strut front suspension and double-wishbone rear, Lexus actually credits much of a car’s driving dynamics to a rigid chassis and two innovative strut bars – yes, strut bars. While a conventional bar connecting the strut towers will offer rigidity, it will also make for a less pleasant ride. Lexus engineers came up with a solution for this by building a strut brace with a shock in the middle of it that will dampen out much of the harshness of the more rigid structure while still maintaining its shape. As a result, the CT is solid while retaining the trademark Lexus comfort and smoothness.
In many ways it delivers a ride similar to that of the, albeit, more detached sixth-generation GTI, with a solid on-road feel, although again, without the power. In fact, for a front-drive Lexus there’s far less understeer than we anticipated, although it’s still present – with the weakest part of the handling package easily the low rolling resistance 215/45/17 tires.

Even the electric steering is good without the numb on-center feel prevalent in most EPS systems.

Adding to the driving experience is a lower center of gravity, and a cockpit that’s built to suit a driver. The seats are low in the car and nicely bolstered with a thick three-spoke steering wheel that looks lifted directly from the Lotus Evora.

Lexus even paid attention to the location of the pedals, which may sound inconsequential, but isn’t. In most other Toyota/Lexus products you step down on the pedals, whereas in the CT you press against them.
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...rive-1445.html

Look it can steer!
Old 10-13-10, 12:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So, why would you ever choose the CT over a Prius?

For every other reason, starting with the way it drives. The CT200h's suspension is refreshingly firm, and from the highly supportive, aggressively bolstered driver's seat there's no perceptible body roll and not the slightest hint of wallow. Small bumps are felt but barely heard, and the CT refuses to lose its composure over the big ones or in the middle of corners. Although the CT occasionally hit its bump stops over exceptionally rough pavement, even the nastiest cobblestone road you can imagine couldn't coax a squeak or rattle out of the interior. The standard leather-wrapped steering wheel is thick and perfectly proportioned, and if you can put up with the bovine complaining from under the hood, you might even find that the cabin is quiet once you finally reach the CT's electronically limited 113-mph top speed.
http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...ive/index.html
Old 10-13-10, 12:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

If you're in any kind of a hurry, however, you'll want to select Sport mode, in which case the normally calm, blue accent lights in the instrument panel change to a more aggressive red glow, and the hybrid system indicator disappears in favor of a tachometer (with a 5,400-rpm redline) that uses the same white needle. Very trick.

Once under way, you'll notice the steering assist varies between Eco and Sport modes, but neither provides much feedback through the wheel. On some of the long cobblestone streets of Chantilly, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The fully independent double wishbone suspension absorbs the bumps with ease, and the lateral performance dampers effectively suppress noise and vibrations from entering the cabin.

The car handles well, tracks straight, and never feels underpowered in Sport mode, but somehow, Sport still seems like a misnomer. It could use more sporty cues, like paddle shifters, for instance — I kept flapping my hands behind the steering wheel in a vain attempt to flick up or down a gear, only to be reminded that this particular CVT doesn't offer preset gear ratios.

The Bottom Line
The CT200h is competent, but not particularly convincing as a sporty car. Therefore, I mostly just left it in Eco mode and cruised around for hours enjoying the fact that the gas gauge barely moved, and the electronic fuel meter estimated my range at 710 miles. Not bad, for a Lexus, a Prius, or any car, for that matter.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-drive?src=rss

p.s. dear stupid automotive writers, it is not an CVT, it can not have fake gears. I know it is hard to learn this as HSD has been on sale only for 13 years now and only sold over 2.5 million units.
Old 10-13-10, 12:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I still dont get the 42mpg rating for the US... And how journalists from different countries conveniently switch between 42 and 50 mpg, even though they were all driving the same cars.. There is obviously little or no difference between it and Prius with same equipment and 17" wheels. Difference would be more noticable in city driving and in Europe it is less than 10%... EPA MPG relies less on City mpg and more on highway where difference is less, so how come it is 18%? I still have an feeling it might actually get EPA rating of >45mpg.

BILD said that they easily got the 4.4l average during their drive (which is great).
Old 10-13-10, 12:40 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
You know if Lexus simply put better-fitting wheels on this car it would look so, SO much better

if they stuck more to the concept, it would look SO much better.
instead, they dumbed it down and made it look toyotish.
it could easily wear a toyota badge.

or even a scion's... the CT's headlight shape is very vanilla.

Originally Posted by edmunds
Here's a car that feels right at home on twisty French back roads, and it just happens to be a hybrid that gets 40 mpg. The Europeans will likely love it. In the U.S., however, it will be more of an acquired taste.
i agree
Old 10-13-10, 12:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
F-sport CT200h. I like the new front bumper and the darker wheels. Not bad.

Would have been cool to see the Solar roof from the Prius or a panoramic sunroof on the CT. Maybe in the future.
You got F-Sport version that looks cooler... but even "vanilla" looks fine IMHO. A lot of details in front are lost in small pics, and rear quarter had to be like that so people can sit behind... I like my GS's swooping roof line but in reality, my head hits the ceiling if i sit behind and i am 6ft tall...
Old 10-13-10, 12:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. If CT200h came out as CT250h, and got 35mpg, then everyone would claim "it is only marginally quicker than A3/1 series and it has CVT so it is not sporty, yet gets same mpg so whats the point Lexus?"
Old 10-13-10, 12:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Automobile also summed it up well:

Sure, a Prius with the Cadillac Cimarron treatment would have been an easier Lexus to make -- and might have even appealed to more people than this CT will. But at the end of the day, there's just no comparison between a pain au chocolat and a Hershey bar shoved between two pieces of Wonder Bread.
Old 10-13-10, 01:30 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, a lot of detail is lost when looking at the pics. If you full-size the Edmunds pics, you see a lot more detail. I am surprised at how good the car looks in the Edmunds pics. Even the stock wheels look decent from some angles.

I am 100% confident that like all modern Lexus designs, pictures do not accurately convey what the vehicle looks like, especially in motion.

To give the model more attention, they just need to have more engine choices for the CT.
Old 10-13-10, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
front wheel gap fail... again.
Old 10-13-10, 07:12 AM
LexFather

Its a small hatch. I didn't expect some gorgeous car. They all look similar and most are not the best looking things around. There is so much you can do with a hatch shape for a car that is going to be sold here and in Europe. Its one of those cars to me where it can look odd in some pics and pretty good in some pics. I still haven't made up my mind about it until I see one in person. It ain't gonna win any beauty pageants.

Concepts are just that, CONCEPTS. We are lucky its even coming here.

Seems the press cars do not have the optional LED lights. Like the RX 450h I think the small 3 bulbs makes the front end look better.

Why are some people jumping around only on the negatives???? Now the reviews are positive and instead of giving a nice thumbs up we are finding something else to complain about.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut