CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 07:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am quite pleased by these more recent reviews...after 5 years, it's nice to hear that Lexus has finally figured out how to design an Electrionic Power Steering system (the thing I hate MOST about the 3GS).

I maintain the fact that this car needs a little more power - a CT300h or something with ~180hp that can give this chassis the juice it needs to really dance. The comments about handling are music to my ears but there is only so much fun to be had with 134hp. I also worry how many young people Lexus is going to attract with a relatively un-moddable hybrid powertrain and so little power on tap.
Old 10-13-10, 07:38 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seems the press cars do not have the optional LED lights. Like the RX 450h I think the small 3 bulbs makes the front end look better.
The 15 or 16 (if I remember correctly) press cars at the Press Preview in France were actually a pretty mixed bag of Euro-spec and U.S.-spec and equipment levels. Some had the LED lights while others had the halogens. I'd say it's just coincidence that the photos posted here are of the standard halogens.
Old 10-13-10, 09:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post AutoBlog

"Stealing" seems a touch harsh, so let's go with "uninformed borrowing" instead. After all, Lexus did hand me the keys to a U.S.-spec CT 200h hybrid, along with a vetted and approved route book through Northern France, but I had different plans. I was on a mini-mission.

You see, the wife doesn't ask much when I travel abroad. A phone call or two a day, keep hydrated and avoid the brothels. A simple list. But when she caught wind I'd be in France for the Paris Motor Show, she requested one thing: macaroons. Specifically, the meringue confections from Paris' world-famous Ladurée.

So with a willing driving partner and the sat-nav set to a location a few blocks from the Arc de Triomphe, we headed south to snag some pastries and give Lexus' hybrid hatch a thorough testing in its natural (read: European) environment.

Less than 10 minutes outside the chateau, it's obvious this a vehicle best viewed through the prism of a European driver. Aside from being a premium hatchback – a bodystyle that until recently hasn't gained much traction in the States – the CT 200h is deceptively small. At 170.1 inches in length, it's just over an inch longer than its closest competitor, the Audi A3, yet packs slightly less rear legroom, front headroom and cargo capacity, the latter of which comes in at 14.3 cu-ft (the A3 offers 19.5 cubes). But you couldn't tell from the outside.

With its elongated front overhang, comparatively squat rear and awkwardly shaped C-pillar, the CT 200h's proportions appear slightly off at first glance. At least Lexus' L Finesse design language comes through loud and clear, with an oddly aggressive fascia punctuated by the two pinched slats separating the headlamps from the grille. Everything else is rather anti-climatic, but props to Lexus for two eye-catching launch colors: the Daybreak Yellow Mica you've seen in ads and the Fire Agate Pearl (a.k.a. metallic brown) pictured here.

Out on the motorway we settle into a comfortable 75 mph cruise and begin to take stock of the interior. The leather-wrapped LFA-inspired steering wheel is right-sized for the application, and we're particularly fond of the inboard Mode and Display buttons positioned at thumb-level. The normal cadre of redundant switches for volume, channel and phone functions are easy to read and manipulate, as is the center-mounted climate control stack.

Directly to the right is a real bamboo slice trimming the dash ahead of the passenger. The CT 200h comes standard with a black plastic piece in its place, but it can be swapped out in favor of ash burl, metal or the aforementioned sustainable wood. The trim choice tied in nicely with the caramel "NuLuxe" synthetic leather on our tester, offering an environmentally friendly alternative to the optional black or gray cow hide.

We've never been particularly fond of Lexus' choice of layout and materials for its center stack, however, and little has changed with the CT 200h. For some reason, their choices have somehow always come across as "less-than" when compared to the equivalent Germans. Our tester wasn't equipped with sat-nav, so you'll notice a large panel where the optional mouse-like RemoteTouch interface would normally reside. We did have a few minutes to play with the system before embarking on our adventure, and as it's the same unit found on the RX CUV, there were no surprises with its functionality or ease-of-use – it's simple and intuitive.

Another feature that wasn't included on our tester, but will be fitted to every U.S.-bound CT 200h, is a new Universal Device Holder – essentially a stand for your smartphone that rises up from the transmission tunnel. The holder can fit nearly every device – from the iPhone to the EVO – to display streaming audio and navigation instructions. As we've said before, factory sat-navs are quickly losing their appeal as a new breed of smartphones offer nearly all of the features at a fraction of the cost. Our pick: We'd skip the Audio and Moonroof + Navigation package, tick the boxes for the Audio and Moonroof + Backup Camera (mounted in the rearview mirror) and pony up for a navigation app for your mobile phone. And if you're feeling frisky with the option boxes, the Leather Package with driver's seat memory, heated front chairs and auto-dimming outside mirrors should be well worth the initial investment considering the estimated starting price of just over $30,000.

But above-average materials and the expected appointments will only get you so far in this segment.

About 30 minutes later, we're finally on the outskirts of Paris and it's obvious the CT's suspension tuning has been canted towards the comfortable side of sporty. Not a bad thing when trying to eat up the miles. On the highway, it's been a decidedly Prius-like affair – completely expected considering it shares both major platform components and its Atkinson-cycle 1.8-liter four-cylinder with the flagship green machine from Toyota. In addition to the four-pot with its 98 horsepower (at 5,200 rpm) and 105 pound-feet of torque (at 4,000 rpm), two electric motors are fed by 28 Ni-MH batteries to churn out an additional 36 hp. That diminutive grunt finds its way to the front wheels through two sets of planetary gears that essentially act as a CVT, sans the bands. While that's great for efficiency, having an engine droning at a constant 5,500 rpm when flooring the throttle doesn't provide much in the way of aural excitement. And it packs the motivation to match.

By the time we hit Paris proper and begin winding our way through mid-morning traffic, the CT 200h begins to come into its own. The slightly stiffer springs, along with its Prius-sourced (albeit modified) MacPherson front suspension, Avenis chassis components and HS 250h double A-arm rear suspension work in concert to dull the combination of marginally neglected pavement and cobblestone streets. Within minutes, we're illegally parked outside Ladurée, where I run in, order 2 of everything and then sprint back to the car. A few moments later and we're out of town, making our way back onto the Lexus-prescribed drive route and some much-needed rural roads.

Here, the CT 200h's aptitude is entirely a product of your expectations. After the Honda CR-Z barely delivered on its "sporty hybrid" mission statement, Lexus appears to be dialing back its spin about the CT 200h being "the dark side of green." And understandably. All of the dynamic Lexus hallmarks are present: slightly anesthetized steering, marginally mushy brakes, a bit of body roll and a general lack of enthusiasm for being pushed too hard. But it's far better than most hybrids. The suspension does impart a general sense of what's going on at all four corners and its innovative Performance Damper – essentially a front strut bar with a shock in the middle – reduces flex while keeping things comfortable from both a ride and NVH standpoint.

Although the weight distribution is an admirable (for a front-driver) 60:40 front-to-rear thanks to the packaging and placement of the batteries, relentless understeer is still the order du jour unless you're lifting abruptly mid-bend. That might be marginally rectified by replacing the U.S.-spec all-seasons with the European car's summer rubber, and since Lexus is already planning to offer a range of F Sport suspension components after the CT 200h goes on sale next year, it's obviously aware that a little bit of tuning should go a long way. (Don't be surprised to see at least a few of the primped and pimped hatches lining the halls of SEMA this year.)

Twisting the console-mounted **** out of Normal and into Sport does remove some of the restriction on the gas pedal and boosts the electric motor assist from 500 to 650 volts, but the advertised increase in steering feel is minimal at best. All things considered, the most impressive feature in Sport mode – by far – is the tachometer, which replaces the Power/Eco/Charge dial on the left side of the IP. The panel switches from the standard blue backlighting to red, and while it's not revolutionary – particularly after experiencing the LFA's impressive configurable dash – it's a novel bit of kit that's sure to impress the CT 200h's audience. But what else are they interested in?

If you're looking for a Euro-flavored premium hatch with the allure of a hybrid badge and the fuel economy to match (42 mpg city/41 mpg highway), the CT 200h is, frankly, your only option. Its inherit sportiness is questionable, but if you're moving up from a Prius – which Lexus fully expects some of its buyers to do – then it's more than capable of elevating your pulse, if just a few BPM. If nothing else, this Lexus makes for a great European pastry delivery machine – even if they are available right as you check-in at the airport.

Last edited by GS69; 10-13-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-13-10, 09:24 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the most encouraging response from autoblog. And I still think the looks have been put into bland overdrive...
Old 10-13-10, 10:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Autoblog thinks it is too comfy and less sporty )))).

We have gone from trashy hard to comfy soft. Kudos to AB for at least showing us the seats, which is different for sure. Also it is a bit of culture shock as well - you cant complain about Ct200h interior without knowing that you can order most of its competitors without AC.
Old 10-13-10, 10:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That front overhang is really pretty bad. If they had been able to move the front wheels 3-4 inches north, and done a better job of adjusting the fitment of the wheels, I would be more enamored with the exterior.

I remember seeing the survey results for the CT Concept where the vast majority of respondants said that their favorite part of the exterior was the fitment of the wheels. Now, I know that 17s were probably the logical choice to adequately achieve a happy marriage between handling and frugality, but they could have done a better job of fitting them onto the car.
Old 10-13-10, 10:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am quite pleased by these more recent reviews...after 5 years, it's nice to hear that Lexus has finally figured out how to design an Electrionic Power Steering system (the thing I hate MOST about the 3GS).

I maintain the fact that this car needs a little more power - a CT300h or something with ~180hp that can give this chassis the juice it needs to really dance. The comments about handling are music to my ears but there is only so much fun to be had with 134hp. I also worry how many young people Lexus is going to attract with a relatively un-moddable hybrid powertrain and so little power on tap.
generally speaking, European press positively commented about Rav4 and Auris EPS, in 2005 and 2007 respectively, saying that they offer better feel than competition.

It just that it gets dialed back on the road to the USA
Old 10-13-10, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That front overhang is really pretty bad. If they had been able to move the front wheels 3-4 inches north, and done a better job of adjusting the fitment of the wheels, I would be more enamored with the exterior.

I remember seeing the survey results for the CT Concept where the vast majority of respondants said that their favorite part of the exterior was the fitment of the wheels. Now, I know that 17s were probably the logical choice to adequately achieve a happy marriage between handling and frugality, but they could have done a better job of fitting them onto the car.
it is standard looking overhang for FF vehicle... Auris can fit GR V6 inside... They could make it smaller but then you would never get any bigger engine options.
Old 10-13-10, 10:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The CT has a firmer, louder ride than other Lexus models -- remember, it was designed for Europe -- and while it's no Infiniti G37, it's certainly a lot more entertaining to drive than most Lexus models.

Journey's End: Different is good... and different

2011 Lexus CT 200h
Photo © Aaron Gold
After a couple of days behind the wheel of the CT 200h, I was surprised to find how much I liked it, especially considering the luxury-car culture shock I got when I first saw it. Once you get over the fact that it's not intended to attract the same people who would buy an ES 350 or an LS 460, the CT 200h starts to make a lot of sense.

http://cars.about.com/od/lexus/fr/20...Test-Drive.htm
Old 10-13-10, 11:56 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

I don't think this was mentioned before, but it looks like the F sport CT will get paddle shifters.
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-71659_148380431871670_100000991410260_235355_5983489_n.jpg  
Old 10-13-10, 12:10 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
I don't think this was mentioned before, but it looks like the F sport CT will get paddle shifters.
Doubtful, the picture notwithstanding.

My understanding is that the paddle shifters are reserved for Japanese Domestic Market CT 200h models, possibly, even probably in conjunction with the F Sport package. Don't expect the paddles on export CTs.
Old 10-13-10, 01:51 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Why am I not moved by this car? The interior is nice as befits a Lexus but the exterior is nondescript... bordering on Toyota. It is better than the HS (it sure as heck better be) but somehow it just seems not good enough (and the reviews seem to reinforce this).

I was more excited about it earlier but that excitement has pretty much evaporated.
Old 10-13-10, 01:59 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

^Same here, I fail to see why they had to dumb down the concept so much, which was pretty ground-breaking in Lexus's design direction, in both front and rear. Now it's just inoffensive like most other Toyotas and Lexuses.
Old 10-13-10, 02:27 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^ agreed... I had high hopes for the car as my next car, but i'm not feeling it.

Anyone know if the navi screen comes std on it?
Old 10-13-10, 02:43 PM
Koma

Do any HSD Toyota's have paddle shifters? If so how does that work with how the planetary gears have no set ratios/shift points? I'm utterly confused.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut