CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 03:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The LS and RX (not sure about GS) have shiftable gates instead of paddle shifters. What it does is actually simulate gearing, though technically they arent real
Old 10-13-10, 03:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
The LS and RX (not sure about GS) have shiftable gates instead of paddle shifters. What it does is actually simulate gearing, though technically they arent real
This is correct. I use mine from time to time and its weird b/c in your mind your thinking "well its a CVT" but you drop into the "gear" and the car makes more noise and it does "hold" a simulated gear for more immediate passing and or engine braking. I have RARELY used it in the RX

The CVT in the Lexus vehicles are incredible, amazingly smooth and you cannot tell when it shifts from electric/engine/both. Their transmissions are very expensive to build.

Nissan has figured out a cheaper way to do it with their new M35h hybrid using their 7 speed auto and not developing a separate tranny but wont' know how well it works until 4-5 years after its been sold and people have bought it with real word results.
Old 10-13-10, 03:45 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nissan has figured out a cheaper way to do it with their new M35h hybrid using their 7 speed auto and not developing a separate tranny but wont' know how well it works until 4-5 years after its been sold and people have bought it with real word results.
The same goes for the new Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima Hybrids, although theirs are 6-speed automatic transaxles.
Old 10-13-10, 04:25 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is correct. I use mine from time to time and its weird b/c in your mind your thinking "well its a CVT" but you drop into the "gear" and the car makes more noise and it does "hold" a simulated gear for more immediate passing and or engine braking. I have RARELY used it in the RX

The CVT in the Lexus vehicles are incredible, amazingly smooth and you cannot tell when it shifts from electric/engine/both. Their transmissions are very expensive to build.

So basically it holds the engine in a higher RPM before it starts to move the gears, even though theoretically the planetary gears should always be in the optimal power range?
Old 10-14-10, 02:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
front wheel gap fail... again.
who cares about wheel gap when you have a front overhang like this......

Old 10-14-10, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

well you are confusing it a bit... Power splitting device that is used by HSD and is similar to CVT, is not a CVT at all... and it is actually a lot cheaper to produce and it has almost no wear and has been proven as extremely reliable (belt driven CVT on the other hand is opposite of that). But it is expensive to engineer and Toyota has patents on it... Only Ford has similar thing (i would guess it is part of their license since they dont talk about it) and now GM as well in Volt.

RX450h is first PSD type hybrid that has simulated gearing, GS for instance works completely different and is just different engine braking modes for downhill driving.

GS and LS have two different planetary gears, i would guess RX might have them too, for torque multiplication - lower for faster lower speed, higher for smoother higher speed.

1.8l HSD has only one since it is small engine.

Reason Hyundai and Nissan and Honda are using real transmissions is because they do not have technical capability to create their own or want to license it from Toyota. It is not an plus but huge minus. This is why german hybrids suck so far and why Honda's get so much worse mileage than HSD and is also much less fluid.

Now can you possibly get good MPG without PSD? Sure you can - very tall gearing and EV mode adjusted to the EPA cycle will give you that... will it be good in real life and will it be smooth? No it wont, since you are not blending all the power sources together. You are using them on the top of another. Thats why GM at the end decided to use PSD, and thats why Ford did it few years ago... Previous to that, GM though it doesnt need it, and tried to create different system with BMW and MB, but they all failed. Thats why VW never got hybrid diesel to the market, and they were testing it as early as 2007.

So whoever is not using PSD is not doing it right and they are just doing it for the show.
Old 10-14-10, 06:08 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know when cars are released few look like their concept but why couldn't the new CT look like the one we were teased with?:

I feel like I've been the victim of some sort of bait and switch scam. Obviously they would have to tone down the lower bumper treatments but the rear on the concept seems more better resolved than the rather awkward styling of the one we've been given which looks like and IS with the trunk removed and an iQ rear end stuck on.

Last edited by Big Andy; 10-14-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 07:08 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is why german hybrids suck so far and why Honda's get so much worse mileage than HSD and is also much less fluid.
Honda's hybrid sucks because it's basically a mild hybrid setup.
Old 10-14-10, 07:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
So basically it holds the engine in a higher RPM before it starts to move the gears, even though theoretically the planetary gears should always be in the optimal power range?
Yes. Weird isn't it.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
who cares about wheel gap when you have a front overhang like this......

This might be news to you but FWD cars are much harder to design with short overhangs. The CR-Z is even worse.

Originally Posted by spwolf
well you are confusing it a bit... Power splitting device that is used by HSD and is similar to CVT, is not a CVT at all... and it is actually a lot cheaper to produce and it has almost no wear and has been proven as extremely reliable (belt driven CVT on the other hand is opposite of that). But it is expensive to engineer and Toyota has patents on it... Only Ford has similar thing (i would guess it is part of their license since they dont talk about it) and now GM as well in Volt.

RX450h is first PSD type hybrid that has simulated gearing, GS for instance works completely different and is just different engine braking modes for downhill driving.

GS and LS have two different planetary gears, i would guess RX might have them too, for torque multiplication - lower for faster lower speed, higher for smoother higher speed.

1.8l HSD has only one since it is small engine.

Reason Hyundai and Nissan and Honda are using real transmissions is because they do not have technical capability to create their own or want to license it from Toyota. It is not an plus but huge minus. This is why german hybrids suck so far and why Honda's get so much worse mileage than HSD and is also much less fluid.

Now can you possibly get good MPG without PSD? Sure you can - very tall gearing and EV mode adjusted to the EPA cycle will give you that... will it be good in real life and will it be smooth? No it wont, since you are not blending all the power sources together. You are using them on the top of another. Thats why GM at the end decided to use PSD, and thats why Ford did it few years ago... Previous to that, GM though it doesnt need it, and tried to create different system with BMW and MB, but they all failed. Thats why VW never got hybrid diesel to the market, and they were testing it as early as 2007.

So whoever is not using PSD is not doing it right and they are just doing it for the show.
You basically said what I wish I could have. Thanks

Originally Posted by Koma
Honda's hybrid sucks because it's basically a mild hybrid setup.
They suck and are lame b/c they ARE NOT REAL HYBRIDS. You cannot drive them on electric power alone. It is IMA, it is an assist. They should not be allowed to call them hybrids.
Old 10-14-10, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Why am I not moved by this car? The interior is nice as befits a Lexus but the exterior is nondescript... bordering on Toyota. It is better than the HS (it sure as heck better be) but somehow it just seems not good enough (and the reviews seem to reinforce this).

I was more excited about it earlier but that excitement has pretty much evaporated.
Originally Posted by Mister Two
^Same here, I fail to see why they had to dumb down the concept so much, which was pretty ground-breaking in Lexus's design direction, in both front and rear. Now it's just inoffensive like most other Toyotas and Lexuses.
Originally Posted by MrMut
^ agreed... I had high hopes for the car as my next car, but i'm not feeling it.

Anyone know if the navi screen comes std on it?
I don't think most will be "moved" by it. I mean I'm not either, it is a small 140hp hybrid. Lexus knows people are not either, thus the low 12k sales goal here.

Heck, I'm still on the fence should Lexus have even went into this segment. I am well aware of why (especially in Europe) but I much rather a nice coupe debut.

Maybe if there was a CT coupe involved here or a higher hp CT it would help excitement.

If I want excitement, I just go to the big LFA thread
Old 10-14-10, 01:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

When Toyota's bread and butter looks this good, with tidy overhands and clean proportions, I simply expect more or the same from Lexus:

CT's front overhang might actually be worse than the Matrix:

Old 10-14-10, 07:13 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CT200h F-Sport
Old 10-14-10, 07:21 PM
LexFather

THanks Jesse.

Tons of pics here
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/509...nal-motor-show

Old 10-14-10, 07:48 PM