CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 03:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the paddle shifters are strictly for the Japanese Domestic Market, and will NOT be available neither in Europe nor in North America.
interesting, i wonder if they might change their mind on that for the future?
Old 10-21-10, 04:28 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interesting, i wonder if they might change their mind on that for the future?
I wouldn't sweat the loss of the paddles, from all I've been told by Lexus insiders. Given the CT's "hybrid with a CVT" powertrain, they seemingly didn't do much for driver enjoyment nor performance.

It seems that, by only offering them in the JDM, they're just getting practice and field experience and whatnot to see if they can be improved enough to export CVT paddle shifting on future Lexus hybrids.

Toyota/Lexus, BTW, has done this sort of thing in the past. Back around the year 2000, they fitted a JDM version of the 2JZ inline 6 with direct injection in, I think, the Progrés sedan, yet direct injection was never exported to major markets until the 2006 Lexus GS 300.
Old 10-21-10, 04:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the paddle shifters are strictly for the Japanese Domestic Market, and will NOT be available neither in Europe nor in North America.
CT F-Sport will have it, right?
Old 10-21-10, 04:48 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
CT F-Sport will have it, right?
No, unless Lexus has an unexpected, last-minute change of heart.
Old 10-21-10, 04:56 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

The CT does not need paddle shifters. It probably just needs a power boost.
Old 10-22-10, 03:20 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
The CT does not need paddle shifters. It probably just needs a power boost.
Definitely!
Old 10-22-10, 06:49 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I like that red alcantara interior!
I will never go back to leather, Alcantara is my first choice for interior material.
Old 10-22-10, 11:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I will never go back to leather, Alcantara is my first choice for interior material.
poor mans leather?
Old 10-22-10, 11:31 AM
LexFather

I would like something like the IS 300 and I believe IS 350 F sport has, leather sides and Alacantra middle (for the seat). Grippy, nice.

Paddle shifters and CVT= huh? Trust me, hybrids do not sound sexy when pushed, sounds very artificial, like R2D2 running from Ewoks.
Old 10-22-10, 11:50 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Simulated gears for CVT have been in many production cars for years. I don't understand why so many people are surprised at the combination now (particularly since the GS450h has had it since day 1). It's nothing more than fixing the gear ratio, or in the case of HSD's e-CVT, the power-split ratio. It doesn't make the engine note sound sexier but it still helps passing, engine braking, corner exiting like conventional gear-shifting does.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-22-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Simulated gears for CVT have been in many production cars for years. I don't understand why so many people are surprised at the combination now (particularly since the GS450h has had it since day 1). It's nothing more than fixing the gear ratio, or in the case of HSD's e-CVT, the power-split ratio. It doesn't make the engine note sound sexier but it still helps passing, engine braking, corner exiting like conventional gear-shifting does.
well because GS450h didnt have it, it is RX450h that was first ever hybrid to have it... GS450h had fixed rpm levels for engine breaking only.

People are talking about it since it is something new, as CVT's and PSD's are similar in theory but fundamentally VERY different.

Originally Posted by usbseawolf2000
Here is the 2010 Prius hybrid transaxle. You are looking at motor/generator #1 (MG1), Power Split Device (PSD), motor/generator #2 (MG2), and finally the reduction gear. Simple!

Up next is the GM's 2-Mode hybrid transaxle. The first picture is just the motors and planetary gearsets. The second picture if the entire transaxle.

Below is the bare-bone Dual Clutch Transmission:

Audi 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission:

Now, going into "traditional" 8-speed transmission:

from wonderful priuschat!!!
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...ed-others.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...ed-others.html
Old 10-22-10, 02:57 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

well because GS450h didnt have it, it is RX450h that was first ever hybrid to have it... GS450h had fixed rpm levels for engine breaking only.
The GS450h has had 6 simulated gears since 2007. Works just like the manual mode of any Lexus auto tranny. What's new for the CT200h F-sport here is just the paddle shifters, which are simply an alternative to using the conventional console shifter to do the same thing.
People are talking about it since it is something new, as CVT's and PSD's are similar in theory but fundamentally VERY different.
Yes people confuse them all the time, although that wasn't the point of my post.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-22-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-22-10, 03:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The GS450h has had 6 simulated gears since 2007. Works just like the manual mode of any Lexus auto tranny. What's new for the CT200h F-sport here is just the paddle shifters, which are simply an alternative to using the conventional console shifter to do the same thing.Yes people confuse them all the time, although that wasn't the point of my post.
are you sure? RX450h product info sheet says it is first hybrid with simulated gears and GS450h manual says only to use it for engine braking specifically.
Old 10-22-10, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The “D” transmission range is
used for performance, normal, or
economical driving. Only use the
"S" transmission ranges if needed
to help maintain vehicle speed
when going down steep grades.
The lower the range, the greater
the engine braking force.
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/models/GSh_...ance_guide.pdf
Old 10-22-10, 03:06 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

are you sure? RX450h product info sheet says it is first hybrid with simulated gears and GS450h manual says only to use it for engine breaking specifically.
The RX450h info sheet was written by clueless marketing people and the GS450h manual is just covering the basic need of using simulated gears and is intended for people who otherwise don't know how to drive a manual and shift at the right RPMs. You can find a lot of 2007 GS450h test drives mentioning hands-on impressions of using the manual mode of the GS450h.

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/mag...testdrive.html
With 1-6 gears and sequential shifting you can also manually change gears quickly and smoothly.
http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-new...hot-rod-hybrid
In addition, the hybrid powerplant, which goes to sleep at stoplights, operated seamlessly, and the continuously variable transmission, with its steering-wheel-mounted paddles, never sounded stressed and allowed me to select from six specific gear ratios.
Mike, chime in please?

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-22-10 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut