CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 08:22 PM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)

I can't wait for this car - we've currently got an RX400h and an Audi A3, and the Audi is a great car, but I'm getting a bit bored of it. Not much to complain about, but I want something a bit more special. The CT200h is similar in body configuration, but is much more sporty, and with a hybrid powertrain I'm anxious to get in line already!

It's expected to debut at the Geneva show in March 2010, so 2 more months until they officially announce it.
Old 01-20-10, 05:08 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I cam trying to figure out the engine though.

200h. Seeing the 450h is actually a 3.5L but performs like a 4.5L and such. A 200h would have to be some sort of 1L and the smallest engine I think Toyota makes is like a 1.8L for the Prius and that outputs like 178 hp (134 hp or something seeing its detuned). So Lexus needs to some how tweak the Prius engine and add an extra 22 hp so it matches the A3 horsepower.

Seeing the Prius itself weighs 3000 pounds or so, thats a whopping 200 pounds less than a A3.

So it looks like it might be an interesting car. It sure looks interesting as a concept.

As long as it starts around $26k-$28k US I am all happy.

I just hope its 3-door hatch and not like a 5-door hatch.

Give or take 2 months
Old 01-20-10, 05:16 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
I cam trying to figure out the engine though.

200h. Seeing the 450h is actually a 3.5L but performs like a 4.5L and such. A 200h would have to be some sort of 1L and the smallest engine I think Toyota makes is like a 1.8L for the Prius and that outputs like 178 hp (134 hp or something seeing its detuned). So Lexus needs to some how tweak the Prius engine and add an extra 22 hp so it matches the A3 horsepower.

Seeing the Prius itself weighs 3000 pounds or so, thats a whopping 200 pounds less than a A3.

So it looks like it might be an interesting car. It sure looks interesting as a concept.

As long as it starts around $26k-$28k US I am all happy.

I just hope its 3-door hatch and not like a 5-door hatch.

Give or take 2 months
I don't think they'll up the horsepower much from the Prius engine (they didn't up the horsepower AT ALL for the HS).

You've got to look at it differently. The A3 TDI only has 140hp and cost like $31K or something. The LF-Ch's MAIN competitor will be the DIESEL A3 not, the gas one.

Price-wise, the Prius with leather and 17 inch wheels, cost $27K so the CT200h will probably cost a little more (because of the higher quality interior and such). The HS costs $4K more than a similarly equipped Camry hybrid, so the price of the CT could be as high as $31K USD. I hope it's not that high, but you never know...

Oh and it's definitely going to be a 5 door
Old 01-20-10, 08:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Price-wise, the Prius with leather and 17 inch wheels, cost $27K so the CT200h will probably cost a little more (because of the higher quality interior and such). The HS costs $4K more than a similarly equipped Camry hybrid, so the price of the CT could be as high as $31K USD. I hope it's not that high, but you never know...
But the Prius and Camry Hybrid don't offer the Lexus ownership benefits like:

-4yr/50k Bumper to Bumper & 6yr/70k Powertrain
-Complimentary loaner car service
-Complimentary emergency roadside service and towing to the Lexus dealer of choice.

Sure you may pay more, but that's what you pay for when you're looking for luxury and convenience.
Old 01-20-10, 08:27 PM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

The HS250h is more luxurious than any A3, and I'd expect the CT200h to be along those lines, feature-wise.

I'll wager a guess that the base price will be $29-31k, with selling prices about $34-37k range once you add in the requisite option packages.
Old 01-20-10, 08:35 PM
LexFather

I am also oddly excited b/c of the hybrid powertrain. Otherwise I think I would be pretty ho-hum about things.

Again I am betting F-sport parts will come as well.

Funny the Lexus supercar and the Lexus hot hatch!!
Old 01-20-10, 08:40 PM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the ho-hum car is the HS250h - it's well appointed inside, but without rear folding seats it's not very handy and a Prius bloody kills it in the mpg department. I don't think it's going to sell very well.
Old 01-20-10, 08:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
Yeah, the ho-hum car is the HS250h - it's well appointed inside, but without rear folding seats it's not very handy and a Prius bloody kills it in the mpg department. I don't think it's going to sell very well.
I believe the HS is selling well. It's outselling the 2nd generation Honda Insight (so-called Prius fighter).
Old 01-20-10, 09:13 PM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

What are the numbers? I've looked around and can't find sales numbers on either car.
Old 01-20-10, 09:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You can find em here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...es-thread.html

Dec 2009:
Honda Insight - 1,639
Lexus HS250h - 1,980
Toyota Prius - 11,775

The gap between the two is increasing. It was either last month or October when 1SICKLEX posted that the HS outsold the Insight by just a couple units.

Win for Lexus and Toyota.
Old 01-21-10, 04:01 AM
edualc
Rookie

did someone already see this
/www.autoblog.com/gallery/production-lexus-lf-ch-spy-shots#3
Old 01-21-10, 05:43 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
It's sales are ok as flipside pointed out, but even so that doesn't mean the HS is great car let alone a homerun for Lexus.

The HS is the first dedicated hybrid from Lexus and it only has a slightly reworked version of the Camry hybrid powertrain

The HS should have had a specially designed and developed hybrid system (just like the RX hybrid had), and it should have achieved better power and efficiency.

Also the HS's styling is ho-hum. It's bland and borderline ugly, and that's not acceptable for Lexus.

Originally Posted by flipside909
I believe the HS is selling well. It's outselling the 2nd generation Honda Insight (so-called Prius fighter).
I wonder if sales would have been higher if the HS set some actually fuel economy benchmarks? The Insight was dead on arrival so it's no surprise that the HS is outselling it.
Old 01-21-10, 06:01 AM
LexFather

Still the Insight goal was 90k a year in America, the HS goal is 24k a year in America. The Insight goal was nearly 4-1. The results are 1.2-1 with the HS beating it? We are all well aware of the price difference.

That is massive, MASSIVE fail.

I don't completely disagree with your points on the HS, surely the 2nd gen will be better (yeah I think that far down the line)

I am sure the CT200h is for Europe and I would think we get a different powertrain...
Old 01-21-10, 06:15 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't completely disagree with your points on the HS, surely the 2nd gen will be better (yeah I think that far down the line)

I am sure the CT200h is for Europe and I would think we get a different powertrain...
Well that's if there is a second gen HS . I wouldn't mind if the CT replaced the HS. It'd probably have the same amount of interior space PLUS get 50mpg

But about the whole Europe thing and the CT200h, there was someone on CL from Europe that commented on Lexus product line there. He said Lexus pretty much only sold exspensive hybrids (GSh/LSh/RXh) there and the only relatively "affordable" car was the diesel IS220d. A CT200h makes the most sense there since they don't have many (any) entry level cars there.

The CT in the US (if it comes to the US) could have a regular gas version for all we know, to keep the price down. I wouldn't mind a performance tuned 2.7L I4 in there sans the electric motor, as a second car
Old 01-21-10, 10:04 AM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

I think Lexus should have done what they intended - make a luxury Prius. But they didn't. They took the chassis that underpins the Scion tC, and put the Camry hybrid's powertrain in it. The styling isn't "hybrid", it's just Toyota Avensis with a Lexus grille.

I went to see the HS expecting to drive one home. The styling, lack of folding rear seats, and a few other things kept my Audi A3 in the driveway a little while longer.

Back to the TC200h - this could really be the right car for them. Unique, sporty styling, a chance at really good mpg numbers, and a beautiful luxury Lexus interior. So long as it's FWD/AWD, I'm buying one.

Quick Reply: CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)