CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

PR: All-New Lexus CT 200h Hybrid Makes North American Debut 2010 NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 03:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm aware of that. Personally I have nothing against artificial leather since it has more long-term advantages over real leather.

I'm just wondering how some of the "must-be-real-leather-or-bust" diehards here will react to this news, considering they have continually bashed premium cars with fake leather...
I guess you could say I'm one of these "real-or-bust" diehards. If you're interested in my opinion, I don't really care, to me the CT200h isn't really a premium car.

I'm not saying that I don't like it, if it is priced right it will be a worthy competitor. But I would never consider something like this for myself.
Old 03-22-10, 03:18 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuck waiting a year for this sigh

I hope it gets like Lane Keep Assist and the Parallel parking thing and a few other tech goodies.
Old 03-22-10, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm aware of that. Personally I have nothing against artificial leather since it has more long-term advantages over real leather.

I'm just wondering how some of the "must-be-real-leather-or-bust" diehards here will react to this news, considering they have continually bashed premium cars with fake leather...
well actually...

CT200h will have either:
a. fake leather
b. real leather

BMW 1 series has cloth seats in europe on most of the cars sold... this is where big difference is. I have yet to see leather in any of 1 series i saw in real life, they are all cloth.
Old 03-22-10, 03:40 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus just announced CT200h for NA market, arriving early 2011.

One interesting bit was that in power mode, hybrid system went to 650v, from 500v in normal mode....

Another interesting first for Lexus here:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...um-155565.aspx
The cabin is trimmed with metal and a new synthetic material called NuLuxe™ that is soft to the touch like leather. Leather-trimmed seating will be available as an option.

I take it that this is something like MB-Tex / leatherette?
Originally Posted by pagemaster
BMW also has leatherette in their 1 series.

I'm ok with leatherette as well. Part of Lexus and Toyota seats are simulated leather anyway

It will be interesting to see what others say, but one thing is clear is that Lexus has really designed this upcoming 200 to resemble a German interior
Originally Posted by Allen K
Sure sounds like it.

I'm a diehard leather person myself Call me old school but I like my luxury/premium cars with cows and wood The leatherette is not a surprise for a premium hatch but if I do end up with a CT, it'll have real cow in it
Originally Posted by Och
I guess you could say I'm one of these "real-or-bust" diehards. If you're interested in my opinion, I don't really care, to me the CT200h isn't really a premium car.

I'm not saying that I don't like it, if it is priced right it will be a worthy competitor. But I would never consider something like this for myself.
I wouldn't be surprised if this "NuLuxe" stuff makes its way across the Lexus lineup even here in the US. Lexus is becoming more and more like the Germans, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, but the prices are certainly creeping up.

Anyway my personal preference is leather but most people DON'T CARE. Most BMWs/Mercedes/Audis running around have pleather (MBTex leatherette etc etc) in them.
Old 03-22-10, 03:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lexus officially confirms CT 200h for U.S. market

Lexus officially confirms CT 200h for U.S. market

Earlier this month at the Geneva Motor Show, Lexus pulled the covers off its new CT 200h hybrid hatchback for the very first time. At the show, representatives for Toyota's luxury brand assured us that there would be "a near-simultaneous global launch a year from now. In their own words, the United States and Japan will receive the CT 200h, even if it was developed as an euro-centric model. First deliveries should begin in Q1 2011."

Turns out they were right. Today, Lexus has officially confirmed that it will indeed offer the premium hatchback in the States, and the CT 200h will make its North American debut next month at the New York Auto Show. This car will join the HS 250h as the brand's second dedicated hybrid model, and Lexus is keen to point out that the CT will be the only dedicated hybrid in its class of small, premium hatchbacks.

Lexus tells us that the CT 200h will boast a 1.8-liter Atkinson cycle four-cylinder gas engine with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) mated up with twin electric motor/generators and a CVT automatic transmission powering the front wheels. Though official EPA mileage numbers aren't yet available, the automaker expects its baby to be at the head of its class in efficiency.

Four drive-modes will be selectable from the cockpit: Normal, Eco, Sport and EV. Eco mode will adjust air conditioning settings and the throttle for the best possible fuel economy while Sport tightens up the steering, sets the stability and traction control at less obtrusive settings and provides 150 more volts of power from the electric motors. EV mode will allow the car to travel up to one mile on electric power alone under certain circumstances.

Want to know more? There's plenty of information in the exhaustive press release after the break, and be sure to check out our high-res image gallery below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/22/l...or-u-s-market/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-22-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 03:43 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Why? It doesn't make much power to begin with and the gas part of the engine is pretty basic. Doesn't the Lexus ES take regular as well?
The ES takes premium, but the HS takes regular which a lot of people like...

I eagerly await the CT-200h launch in Europe. I'd love to get my hands on one for a testdrive and then compare it to the BMW 1 series I currently drive.

The problem is, I've not seen a Lexus here in Stuttgart in months! The Lexus dealership here must have a really hard time since this is Porsche/Mercedes territory. A few months ago I was in central Munich on that infamous shopping street where the rich and famous go - not a single Lexus in sight.

Regarding leatherette, I feel that it looks just as high quality, upscale and premium as real leather. And, most importantly, it lasts longer and is easier to clean, too.
I'm not surprised you don't see many Lexus there, but we'll see what happens when the CT comes out. It's great to get a perspective from Germany, where BMW/Audi/Mercedes rule.
Old 03-22-10, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I eagerly await the CT-200h launch in Europe. I'd love to get my hands on one for a testdrive and then compare it to the BMW 1 series I currently drive.

The problem is, I've not seen a Lexus here in Stuttgart in months! The Lexus dealership here must have a really hard time since this is Porsche/Mercedes territory. A few months ago I was in central Munich on that infamous shopping street where the rich and famous go - not a single Lexus in sight.

Regarding leatherette, I feel that it looks just as high quality, upscale and premium as real leather. And, most importantly, it lasts longer and is easier to clean, too.
lexus has very small dealer network in europe, and they are hurting from lack of euro-centric products... this is first step towards better lexus presence in europe.

last year lexus sold something really small - like 28k cars in europe. Toyota sold almost a million.

I mean best selling lexus is $100k RX450h, which tells you all you need to know ;-).
Old 03-22-10, 03:46 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

well actually...

CT200h will have either:
a. fake leather
b. real leather

BMW 1 series has cloth seats in europe on most of the cars sold... this is where big difference is. I have yet to see leather in any of 1 series i saw in real life, they are all cloth.
The Lexus IS is available with cloth seats in Germany also I believe?

The CT's options will probably vary per market with some markets getting cloth as the base trim option and others getting "NuLuxe".

A leatherette option is definitely a first for Lexus in the US...
Old 03-22-10, 03:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I wouldn't be surprised if this "NuLuxe" stuff makes its way across the Lexus lineup even here in the US. Lexus is becoming more and more like the Germans, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, but the prices are certainly creeping up.

Anyway my personal preference is leather but most people DON'T CARE. Most BMWs/Mercedes/Audis running around have pleather (MBTex leatherette etc etc) in them.
not so sure about that... problem in europe for toyota (and lexus) is that due to fake leather, germans have much cheaper leather options than toyota and lexus.

so to get leather in Toyota, you have to pay 3.5k USD, which is really expensive. And Lexus leather is usually even more expensive.

what seems to happening here is that NuLuxe will replace cloth on premium models and Lexus's, and japanese never had luxurious looking cloth.
Old 03-22-10, 04:01 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

not so sure about that... problem in europe for toyota (and lexus) is that due to fake leather, germans have much cheaper leather options than toyota and lexus.

so to get leather in Toyota, you have to pay 3.5k USD, which is really expensive. And Lexus leather is usually even more expensive.

what seems to happening here is that NuLuxe will replace cloth on premium models and Lexus's, and japanese never had luxurious looking cloth.
What are you not sure about? We said almost the same thing

I agree. I believe that NuLuxe will replace leather as the standard base trim on Lexus's across the board, and I believe this could happen even in the US. It'll make Lexus's cheaper in Europe, but Lexus with leather will probably end up being more expensive here in the US, because the leather option will probably cost $2K USD.
Old 03-22-10, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The Lexus IS is available with cloth seats in Germany also I believe?

The CT's options will probably vary per market with some markets getting cloth as the base trim option and others getting "NuLuxe".

A leatherette option is definitely a first for Lexus in the US...
it has escaine... something like alcantra.

there might be cloth option for the price sheet ;-). But those models have to be special ordered, if possible at all.

On the other hand with 1 series and rest of the europeans, there is always: cloth, cloth with fake/real leather inserts, fake/real leather... So Lexus is there always at disadvantage.
Old 03-22-10, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What are you not sure about? We said almost the same thing

I agree. I believe that NuLuxe will replace leather as the standard base trim on Lexus's across the board, and I believe this could happen even in the US. It'll make Lexus's cheaper in Europe, but Lexus with leather will probably end up being more expensive here in the US, because the leather option will probably cost $2K USD.
that is coming across full lineup in USA ;-).
Old 03-22-10, 04:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. keep in mind there is an issue of taxation and customs in europe, as well as high yen.

RX450h for instance costs 100k Euros in Croatia. 70k Euros in Germany.

That price premium is also valid for all the options. Where leather is 2k here, it is 3.5k in Europe. Mark Levinson 2k here, 4k in Europe, etc, etc. So base Lexus costs as much as mid-level german car. They have to "fix" that.
Old 03-22-10, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But i am more interested in 500v vs 650v in power mode.

For Prius, they said maximum of 650v... but they dont specify that under pwr mode.

So it is quite possible that electric motors in CT200h will be up to 30% more powerful in PWR mode. Which is actually quite cool...
Old 03-22-10, 04:29 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

p.s. keep in mind there is an issue of taxation and customs in europe, as well as high yen.

RX450h for instance costs 100k Euros in Croatia. 70k Euros in Germany.

That price premium is also valid for all the options. Where leather is 2k here, it is 3.5k in Europe. Mark Levinson 2k here, 4k in Europe, etc, etc. So base Lexus costs as much as mid-level german car. They have to "fix" that.
Toyota is going to have to start manufacturing Lexus in local markets. It'd be a gamble in Europe where they don't sell many cars but maybe if they manufactured them in the US and then shipped them from here to Europe the prices would be better?

Anyway I don't want to get this too far off topic

Quick Reply: PR: All-New Lexus CT 200h Hybrid Makes North American Debut 2010 NY Auto Show